When did you start voting? (select all that apply)

• When I became legally able to do so

Votes: 520 83.1%
  • When I realized how important it was

Votes: 106 16.9%
  • I don't care about voting *proceeds to vote in this poll*

Votes: 16 2.6%
  • I'm not legally allowed to vote

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • I don't vote anymore

Votes: 9 1.4%

• Total voters

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Just kinda curious about the diversity of backgrounds with respect to this topic.

Personally, I've been voting in local, state, and federal elections ever since I've legally been able to do so, as I have pretty much always felt a sense of civic duty to politically contribute to society in some way, but I have some family members/friends who are apathetic towards voting, can't vote, or refuse to vote for all sorts of reasons. I'm just wondering how many people on Era have similar attitudes/situations compared to some of my family and friends.

So, when did you start voting?

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Senior year of high school, 2008 presidential election.

I've voted in every single presidential election since then, but 2018 was the first mid-term election I participated in.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As soon as I turned 18 (Well the closest election).

I learned quickly that particular Civic duty was exceedingly important. Which is why I get so pissed at democratic voter turnout each election.

Including Midterms and local elections, because it all matters.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
There was a small, not really that important, local election on my birthday when I got old enough to vote.

So of course I voted there, I mean, with that kind of timing, I more or less had to, right?

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
0 votes for the last three options is pretty impressive, I must say. I kinda expected a few troll votes, tbh *knocks on wood*

EDIT:

Well, for 2 of the last 3. For people who aren't legally allowed to vote, there's not much they can do about that.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Here in the UK I was 17 when a new general election was called and due to take place, but just before the election it was delayed a few weeks because of an outbreak of foot and mouth disease. My 18th birthday fell during this time and I was allowed to vote. Technically I shouldn't have been able to vote in a GE until I would have been nearly 23!

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Not until I was in my early 20's. Four years of Bush made me realize those election things were pretty important. Unfortunately, like the rest of the world, I still had to suck ass and deal with four more afterwards.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
0 votes for the last three options is pretty impressive, I must say. I kinda expected a few troll votes, tbh *knocks on wood*

EDIT:

Well, for 2 of the last 3. For people who aren't legally allowed to vote, there's not much they can do about that.
I'd say it's 2 thing probably.

1. Resetera is self selective in this regard to a degree. Generally I find people here take their civic duty fairly seriously.

2. People who don't aren't likely to come into this thread, so it's self selecting again lol.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
As soon as I could. Witnessing the disastrous Bush presidency and being unable to do anything cause I was too young to vote burned into my brain how fucking important it is to vote if you're able to do so.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
As soon as I could do it legally.

I was raised in a conservative household, the always vote Rs type of family that barely interacted with politics more than that.

Luckily for me, I got online as a teenager (and very much rejected /pol/) and started rethinking everything I grew up with so by the time I turned 18, I was already center left leaning going towards full on Marxism fast.

I credit a lot of my interest in politics with participating in mock congressional presentations and question answering competitions in high school, and got involved with some local boards involved with that after graduation.

I've faded out of doing those things as I've gotten older, but I still am very involved in staying informed and educated. And I tend to find myself disagreeing with hard lined leftists as much as I disagree with people on the right because of it, lol.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Don't really like the options presented on this poll but I voted on the midterm elections. I was already living overseas during the 2016 elections and I didn't mail in my absent ballot so I skipped that election. Though Jersey went to Hillary anyway. When 2018 came by, I made sure to submit it this time.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As soon as I was legally able to. Sadly I barely missed Bush/Gore, so besides local elections my first major was Bush/Kerry.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried to when I was 18, but I didn't have a license. I voted in 2004, or when I was 22. I have noted in every election since, including mid-terms.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up going to polling places with my mom. As soon as I turned 18 I started voting in local elections. My first presidential election was Bush 2.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
I turned 18 in 2000 but didn't vote in that election because honestly, I didn't give a shit. Voted in 2004 after realizing my mistake and have voted ever since.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I turned 18 in 2004, and have voted in every Presidential election starting with that one. I've missed a couple midterms though, and have never voted in a primary.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Turned 18 during the 2006 primaries. I was able to get registered in time to vote in the PA primaries that year. I've voted in every primary and general election for the past 12 years.

I live about 50 yards from my polling place so there is really no excuse.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Voting in Australia is mandatory once you turn 18. So far I've voted in 5 federal elections. This year it will be six.

Kritz

Oct 25, 2017
Poll lacks an option for, "I'm not legally allowed to not vote".

That is to say, I've voted ever since I turned 18 by law. (Aus)

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Voted as soon as I got my citizenship. First election was the last Democratic primary.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I became eligible to vote in... 2013. I did it through my driver's license so it was easy to register but I didn't actually vote until 2016. I don't know what changed, but in 2016 I got home from uni on Election Day, realized I had time to vote and just... did it. Voted last year too and will continue. I guess Trump shook me

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Since I turned 18 in 1993. I've always voted. It's weird because my parents were never political. It's not like they told me to. I just... did.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Didnt vote in the first election after legal age, but the election afterwards and thereafter i have made the effort to vote.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Australia, 31 and never voted. There's more to it, but the long story short is I honestly don't care.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
31 now. The first time I voted was last year, Cali resident. It's only been recently since I've made an effort to educate myself, at least a little bit. Better late then never.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
My mom and dad reminded me of what life was like for us trying to vote in America for their parents in the 30's and 40's. Then they reminded me of the spit, broken bottles, trash, obscenities hurled at them for having the temerity to protest for their rights.

I voted in the first eligible election after I turned 18. It'd be shameful to disrespect those that suffered before me by disregarding what they fought for.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Shamefully I didn't vote the first time I was able to in 2000. My first time was the 2004 election.