Will Gamepass be on Playstation 5 sometime during this generation?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
More likely event would be Sony coming out with their own Gamepass style service with their first party exclusives and other third party offerings.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It's possible, but highly improbable.

a) The full service would eat into third-party revenue on PlayStation.
b) A bespoke XGS only service would offer less value than other platforms.

I can see some ZeniMax games having PS5 ports as the Xbox-on-PlayStation business model.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is basically the same reasoning behind why Sony would never allow Crossplay. "Nobody cares about crossplay", "All my friends have a Playstation", "They could give me the option and I would say no to crossplay.", "Why should Sony share their player base with Microsoft?"

Again. Crossplay is different than letting a hostile competitor eat your third party sales.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
That's a bit fat no due to Sony never allowing it. Xbox is a big competitor to PlayStation in the console space and Sony would not want Gamepass to act as some sort of trojan horse to potentially take consumers away from their ecosystem /platform.

Microsoft on the other hand would probably love for it to happen.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Phil Spencer will say whatever he needs to in order to get positive PR for Microsoft and make himself look like the good guy. If he can make his competition look worse in the process he'll do that too. Being "open to discussions" or saying "the ball's in [Sony/Nintendo]'s court" sounds nice because it's a statement you never actually have to back up with evidence and it makes your competitor look like the bad guy for not entertaining it, even if you have no intention of following through on your end.

I think Microsoft would definitely follow through if Sony or Nintendo agreed to let Gamepass on their systems.

If your competitors' customers start becoming dependent on interacting directly with your software / service, that gives you a lot of power and leverage. It is basically the story of Microsoft's business on PC. It starts with you using Windows, then pretty soon you have an Office 365 subscription and Microsoft is constantly trying to force you to switch to Edge or OneDrive.

The real issue here is that Nintendo and Sony would have to be stupid enough not to look at 30 years of history and figure out what's going on.

zolee

Oct 2, 2020
Yes I think MS wants it and Sony will allow it, Sony will take their cut without any risks of running a subscription service, MS will add another platform to grow their GP business and everyone will be pleased

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think Microsoft would definitely follow through if Sony or Nintendo agreed to let Gamepass on their systems.

If your competitors' customers start becoming dependent on interacting directly with your software / service, that gives you a lot of power and leverage. It is basically the story of Microsoft's business on PC. It starts with you using Windows, then pretty soon you have an Office 365 subscription and Microsoft is constantly trying to force you to switch to Edge or OneDrive.

The real issue here is that Nintendo and Sony would have to be stupid enough not to look at 30 years of history and figure out what's going on.

I'm not saying Phil would pull the football away if Sony or Nintendo were dumb enough to call his bluff. I'm just saying that it's a bluff. It's a statement he doesn't have to back up with any action on his part, and it makes him look like the good guy (and Sony and Nintendo look like the villains) for saying a thing that disproportionately benefits him at the expense of his chief competitors.

Of course he'd be happy if it happens, because the deal benefits HIM more than the others. But he knows it won't, so he doesn't have to eat any of the bad PR.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Alucardx23 Would this commercial agreement you speak of include third party gamepass content or only MS games?

It is a deal breaker anyway for native games.

Or do you possibly mean xcloud only on playstation?

That is for them to decide. I can perfectly see a deal where only first party Xbox games are allowed on Playstation through GP. I believe the Playstation is big enough to justify making native game ports. Some people here don't seem to realize how many Playstation owners would say "YES! I would like to have Forza, Halo, Gears of War, Doom 3, The Elder Scrolls and many more games through GP on my Playstation". They like to use absolute terms like "Nobody would care about that."

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
Why would Sony not allow it? It's just another subscription service where they will get a nice cut of profit for doing fuck all. Sony will heavily modify it, probably saying MS can only allow their exclusives on there but people here need to stop being so silly, Sony ain't going to say no to money.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
GP could even be something that only has Microsoft first party games on Playstation and gamers would subscribe by the millions.
I agree that this formulation of gamepass on PS5 makes a lot more sense for Sony.

However, MS would have to invest the resources in developing PS5 versions of all their first party games. At that point, they'd have to ask themselves whether gamepass delivery would make them more money than selling huge games like ES6, Starfield, the next Doom etc, for full price on the platform. I don't see how it could, frankly. If GP is just first party games, then they'd have a content volume problem and the number of perpetual subscriptions would surely take a hit. I know it's a dirty word re: gamepass but I'm not sure that would be sustainable.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Why would Sony not allow it? It's just another subscription service where they will get a nice cut of profit for doing fuck all. Sony will heavily modify it, probably saying MS can only allow their exclusives on there but people here need to stop being so silly, Sony ain't going to say no to money.

Because they make more money selling games on PSN. Even in the case of MS 1st party games only Sony would probably say no because it'd be the most obvious trojan horse ever. If they want to put their games on PSN they can just sell them there.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think this will be the only way for Bethesda games to be playable in PlayStation, so I don't see it too far fetched. Maybe a version of Game Pass that includes Xbox first party titles.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You mean different from letting a hostile competitor accessing your player base with crossplay? Did Sony block Minecraft on Playstation consoles after Microsoft bought Mojang?

www.theverge.com

Minecraft is finally getting PS4 cross-play support

Minecraft can now be played across every major console and mobile OS

Again, the problem with Game Pass on PS5 is that it would bypass Sony's ability to sell third party games, which Sony makes A LOT of their money off of.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
You buy a platform expecting to control and benefit from it why would you gave Microsoft the keys to your platform

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I honestly think this will be the only way for Bethesda games to be playable in PlayStation, so I don't see it too far fetched. Maybe a version of Game Pass that includes Xbox first party titles.

Reality will kick in once Microsoft start to announce games like Fallout, Doom, Starfield and Elder Scrolls as exclusive for the Xbox ecosystem. Once that happens Playstation owners will start to ask Sony "Why don't you allow Gamepass on Playstation?"

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Again, the problem with Game Pass on PS5 is that it would bypass Sony's ability to sell third party games, which Sony makes A LOT of their money off of.

Like I already said, GP could just be limited to first party Xbox games and Playstation owners would subscribe by the millions for games like Fallout, Doom, Starfield and Elder Scrolls.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
It doesn't have to be a 30% cut, there are all kinds of agreements they could make where both could make money. GP could even be something that only has Microsoft first party games on Playstation and gamers would subscribe by the millions. By Sony allowing GP it would for sure increase the PS sales and Sony does seem to care much more about selling consoles than Microsoft is. Microsoft has repeatedly said that selling consoles is not their priority, they know they can make a lot more money with millions of subscribers to GP.
Not true, having a storefront you get a 30% cut of every transaction will always be more profitable than subscription money on its own.

Think for a second, even being fabulously optimistic and assuming 50 milion subs at a full fat 15 per month, it still comes out at only 750 million per month, and by being a platform holder you make more than that by taking a cut of every game sale, dlc, microtransaction, live gold and what have you.

MS wants both millions of subs and to be a platform holder, even if in 50 years that platform does not need be hardware based (and to be honest I diont even expect sony or nintendo to be making hardware at that point either, so the idea of being a platform holder without hardware is true for them too in the not too distant future).

The alternative to this would be MS goinb full third party but that is never happening anyway, they are hoping to be a disruptive force, with a disrusptive busines model to upset the status quo (and are also thereto quite literaly loss leading, spending billions to change the way people consume games), they are not conforming to the status quo.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't have to be a 30% cut, there are all kinds of agreements they could make where both could make money. GP could even be something that only has Microsoft first party games on Playstation and gamers would subscribe by the millions. By Sony allowing GP it would for sure increase the PS sales and Sony does seem to care much more about selling consoles than Microsoft is. Microsoft has repeatedly said that selling consoles is not their priority, they know they can make a lot more money with millions of subscribers to GP.
They only care about selling consoles, because selling consoles means you are locked into their ecosystem.
The whole existence of a console is based on that, the moment you make other ecosystems available this whole model collapses.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
That is for them to decide. I can perfectly see a deal where only first party Xbox games are allowed on Playstation through GP. I believe the Playstation is big enough to justify making native game ports. Some people here don't seem to realize how many Playstation owners would say "YES! I would like to have Forza, Halo, Gears of War, Doom 3, The Elder Scrolls and many more games through GP on my Playstation". They like to use absolute terms like "Nobody would care about that."
Of course people on playstation would care about those games lol, but likely just enough to buy the one they like piece meal as they already do the other games.

Or do you mean the games would be available through gamepass only and not as individual purchases?

And what about a cloud only version of gamepass through a potential browser that wouldnt require any porting at all and be much easier to implement?

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
It's not going to happen, financially it makes no sense for Sony. I don't see why this keeps being asked.

Sony will either make one themselves if they want to.

Sony wants to tie users to their platform, frankly that is everyone's goal. Being able to play any of the gamepass games and Sony not getting a cut is not going to fly for Sony

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
It might be on a Nintendo system but not a Sony one.

It won't be there either.

Why do you think Switch Pro is going to be a thing? The primary factor isn't to make first party Nintendo games look or run better (because that really has never been a priority for Nintendo and those games are going to sell gangbusters without this thing) - its to get third party games that aren't currently coming out on the system to be released on the platform so they can take their cut.

GP on a Nintendo or Sony console simply doesn't make any business sense for either of those companies. They make revenue by -selling- games on their platforms, allowing GP means they aren't selling as many games on their system anymore. Stuff like EA Play makes sense for Sony, the biggest EA games aren't on the service day and date there so Sony is still getting their cut on retail and digital sales and one of the big hooks on EA Play is discounted virtual currency - Sony is getting their cut there too.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Little to no chance. Sony has PS Now and they can make an alternative like PS pass.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Not true, having a storefront you get a 30% cut of every transaction will always be more profitable than subscription money on its own.

Think for a second, even being fabulously optimistic and assuming 50 milion subs at a full fat 15 per month, it still comes out at only 750 million per month, and by being a platform holder you make more than that by taking a cut of every game sale, dlc, microtransaction, live gold and what have you.

MS wants both millions of subs and to be a platform holder, even if in 50 years that platform does not need be hardware based (and to be honest I diont even expect sony or nintendo to be making hardware at that point either, so the idea of being a platform holder without hardware is true for them too in the not too distant future).

The alternative to this would be MS goinb full third party but that is never happening anyway, they are hoping to be a disruptive force, with a disrusptive busines model to upset the status quo (and are also thereto quite literaly loss leading, spending billions to change the way people consume games), they are not conforming to the status quo.

Don't know what you are saying "Not true" to, but 750 million per month is 9 billion dollar per year, check again if Sony with the Playstation, Microsoft with Xbox and Nintendo are making that kind of money. Microsoft is pushing GP so hard, because they know that by accessing the Smartphone and PC crowd with Xbox games, they can make a lot more money than only selling to the Xbox console owners. Microsoft doesn't need to go full third party developer, the Xbox could still offer a good price/performance value. Microsoft is all about giving options and like they have repeatedly said, selling consoles is not their priority.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Gamepass is significantly overrated imo. Bought a series S and I'm selling it next week because there's absolutely nothing to play on gamepass if you played all the heavy hitters from last gen

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Because that is a losing proposition to MS as they would never have a MS games only version of gamepass.

With xcloud on a browser it can happen if sony doesnt block it.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sony are not the ones stopping this from happening. Stop drinking the pr koolaid

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Of course people on playstation would care about those games lol, but likely just enough to buy the one they like piece meal as they already do the other games.

Or do you mean the games would be available through gamepass only and not as individual purchases?

And what about a cloud only version of gamepass through a potential browser that wouldnt require any porting at all and be much easier to implement?

Someone here just told me nobody with a Playstation cares. Microsoft wants to push GP, so my prediction is that if GP is available on Playstation, it would be the only way to play their games there, this means no individual game sales. I'm also not against the idea of Xcloud on Playstation through a browser, but there I do see Sony doing something about it, if they don't get anything from it.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
No it would absolutely decimate profits for Sony, Microsoft would need to pay them an ungodly lump sum of money for this to ever happen

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
They only care about selling consoles, because selling consoles means you are locked into their ecosystem.
The whole existence of a console is based on that, the moment you make other ecosystems available this whole model collapses.

What you need to realize is that if or when GP comes over to Playstation, from Microsoft perspective it is part of the Xbox ecosystem.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I wouldn't think so. If someone new to games asked me the difference between PS and Xbox I would say one has a track record of First Party and Third Party games by the buttload and the other is trying to compete in the First Party thing but has Gamepass as a very competitive difference. Don't see MS giving up that distinct difference. It's a noteworthy one as it directly gives access to lots of games. Why MS would want to dilute that noteworthiness by essentially becoming a Third Party PS Studio and offering their games on PS I don't know. They wouldn't have bought fucking Bethesda if they wanted that surely.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Standard Game Pass with all those third party games? Not at all.
A special version of Game Pass with only Microsoft games? It won't happen too sadly, but at least it's more reasonable than the standard one for Sony, and Microsoft can get lots of money with it too.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
No. Sony would never sign a deal that lets Microsoft give third party games away on their platform. It's an asinine idea, and the only way it would ever work is if MS cut down Game Pass' offerings to just include their own games, which Microsoft would also never do.

Pretty much this. The only way it would work for Sony is if Game Pass was just like EA Play, including only games published by Microsoft.

But I don't think that would work for Microsoft.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Sony are not the ones stopping this from happening. Stop drinking the pr koolaid

Then who is? Microsoft? Was Microsoft the one that was also stopping crossplay from happening?

Phil Spencer: " I love the Switch, I love PlayStation, honestly, I think they've done an amazing job as being a part of this industry. I'm not sure that those are the next big set of users for us, but we could be open to those discussions."

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
Lot's of comments that it doesn't make sense for Playstation to allow it. It makes even less sense for Xbox to put it there.

While you're competing in the same console space it would be monumentally stupid to provide a service that keeps people investing in playstation and playing on that ecosystem. I could understand it if they were a third party publisher but while your delivery relies on releasing cutting edge hardware then it'll never happen.

Gamepass is significantly overrated imo. Bought a series S and I'm selling it next week because there's absolutely nothing to play on gamepass if you played all the heavy hitters from last gen

Gamepass is for people who have a wide variety of taste.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Then who is? Microsoft? Was Microsoft the one that was also stopping crossplay from happening?

Phil Spencer: " I love the Switch, I love PlayStation, honestly, I think they've done an amazing job as being a part of this industry. I'm not sure that those are the next big set of users for us, but we could be open to those discussions."
They were at one point and also still for some games. FFXIV

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Don't know what you are saying "Not true" to, but 750 million per month is 9 billion dollar per year, check again if Sony with the Playstation, Microsoft with Xbox and Nintendo are making that kind of money. Microsoft is pushing GP so hard, because they know that by accessing the Smartphone and PC crowd with Xbox games, they can make a lot more money than only selling to the Xbox console owners. Microsoft doesn't need to go full third party developer, the Xbox could still offer a good price/performance value. Microsoft is all about giving options and like they have repeatedly said, selling consoles is not their priority.
Yeah because MS already makes more than 9 billion per year with the meager xbox one sales.

All signs points for the series consoles selling more than the previous 55 million or so and that is even more money. Also the overwhelming majority of gamepass subs are xbox players, plus the billions they make from live only subs, plus the billions from third party game sales and the billions they make from third party microtransactions and everything else, it is a way too much money they cant make up elsewhere by going third party.

Selling to PC and smartphone and even smarttvs has been the plan because they can offer as Phil says "the full xbox experience" there, which they cant on rival hardware, for now.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Reality will kick in once Microsoft start to announce games like Fallout, Doom, Starfield and Elder Scrolls as exclusive for the Xbox ecosystem. Once that happens Playstation owners will start to ask Sony "Why don't you allow Gamepass on Playstation?"

It is far more likely that the loss of sales will force MS to port those games to PS as standalone titles than it is that they end up Game pass exclusive.

This isn't happening in any realistic scenario.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Sony didn't even allow EA Access until recently and that's just EAs games

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017