dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
In a private school where tuition is high, students can bicker about clothes, shoe brands, cellphones, or video games. At Paul Towler's middle school, where he teaches English to seventh and eighth graders, some kids "have enough money to be comfortable and others' parents are owners of giant nationwide restaurant chains," he says. Towler is used to seeing such disparities play out in the real world through objects that you can physically hold. But after battle royale sensation Fortnite exploded, the fights between students took an unexpected turn. Fortnite's virtual clothes became a status symbol, and some of Towler's pupils started policing what their classmates wore in-game.

The confrontations could get ugly. One student in Towler's class "begged his parents for [money] to buy a skin because no one would play with him" because he wore basic virtual clothes. While the bullying wasn't always Fortnite-specific, Towler recalls that it seemed "vicious for [the student] to have another avenue for the meaner kids to attack him." Things got better for that kid, but when your social scene begins and ends with Fortnite, having nobody to play with is like a mark of death.

The abuse goes beyond insults. Fans who play as defaults end up getting ostracized by classmates, too. Libby, a middle schooler in seventh grade, told Polygon that defaults at her school "get made fun of," and that mockery is compounded by the fact that these players are often on mobile platforms, which are perceived to be a worse experience.

THE PRESSURE TO PURCHASE SKINS IS EVERYWHERE IN FORTNITE
"Noob" is a word that comes up a lot in conversation with parents. Kids ask their parents for skins because they don't want to seem like Fortnite novices in front of other people. The label turns kids into "target," according to a parent on Twitter. Guy Diep, father of an 8-year-old boy, tells Polygon that while his son asked for money for Fortnite cosmetics to avoid the stigma of a default, what he heard between the lines was more heartbreaking than that.

"To translate him, he's actually saying: 'I NEED this [skin] because of my lack of self-esteem and confidence,'" Diep says. Many kids end up spending money in a free game just to keep up with the in crowd.

Statistics on the frequency of bullying among teens and children vary depending on the source, especially because it's a delicate subject that has to be self-reported in surveys. The Cyberbullying Research Center, which has questioned around 20,000 middle school and high school students, claims that 1 of every 4 teens has experienced cyberbullying of some kind. Typically, however, cyberbullying manifests itself as name-calling, spreading rumors, making threats, or sending explicit images. According to the Pew Research Center, teens from families with lesser means often get bullied at a higher rate than kids from affluent families. "Twenty-four percent of teens whose household income is less than $30,000 a year say they have been the target of physical threats online, compared with 12% whose annual household income is $75,000 or more," the Pew report states.

Much more at the link.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/7/18534431/fortnite-rare-default-skins-bullying-harassment

I must admit that i actually never thought about this possibility. Sure simple mocking was expected but this went too far.

Oct 25, 2017
It just isn't clothes anymore, not a huge deal, life goes on how it is and how it always has been. Haves will always trash have-nots

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Imagine how pathetic you are picking on someone over VIRTUAL clothes in a video game. They all play the same that's what matters in the end.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
So basically like it happens with IRL clothes, shoes, backpacks etc since forever?

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
As weird as this is, kids will always find superfluous and stupid reasons to bully/make fun of other kids. Sadly it only makes sense that this sort of behavior would transition into the world of digital possessions in addition to physical ones like clothes, phones, etc.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
So we went from bullying gamer kids to bullying the free to play gamer kids, weird.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
As weird as this is, kids will always find superfluous and stupid reasons to bully/make fun of other kids. Sadly it only makes sense that this sort of behavior would transitional into the world of digital possessions in addition to physical ones like clothes, phones, etc.

Agreed, this is hardly Fortnites fault. When I was a kid it was all about silver chains, pants, and what kind of shoes you wore. Every generation is different.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
This doesn't differ from my time at school where it was clothes, your phone, car, etc. The thing bullied over always changes.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Their parents can afford to send their kids to private school, but can't afford to buy them a single Fortnite skin?

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
My friends are adults and I've still heard them refer to "no-skins" during games. It's ridiculous.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like a lucrative business, to capitalize on children with low self-esteem and toxic bullying culture.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a story a few years back that was basically the same thing except with Clash of Clans?

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Kids are awful

Also imagining bragging because you wasted 20 quid on a digital shirt and someone else didn't

What a time to be alive

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I am legit happy I am not a kid nowadays due to 24/7 social pressence pressure. It annoys me as an adult, as a kid I would have been fucked.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Weird.

Playing LoL for example people would never bully you for not having a skin, in fact you were more likely to be verbally abused for having skin and playing bad.

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
Do kids also get bullied for having BP skins? I don't see this being much of a problem anymore, since they gave out a free BP which allows you to get enough vbucks to get a BP for free every season?

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
My son plays in the basic outfit on purpose so people think they've been killed by a new player.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I feel bad for these kids. Nobody should view Fortnite skins as some sort of status symbol.

RedFury

Oct 27, 2017
My 10 year old despite having tons of skins (earned) he uses defaults when he plays. He says people think hes a "noob". He wins games quite often. He always comes up to me and says "Hey I won X games today" whenever he is allowed to play(3 last night solo). I only let him join parties with kids I personally know from school.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I should be surprised, but im not. There is some kids that are genuinely respectful, but I so often see kids who arent.

I am glad that gaming has become more mainstream, and it is no longer looked down upon, but...idk if its just me, but kids seem more obnoxious now than ever before, and I feel like the internet culture is partially to blame.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
My 10 year old despite having tons of skins (earned) he uses defaults when he plays. He says people think hes a "noob". He wins games quite often. He always comes up to me and says "Hey I won X games today" whenever he is allowed to play(3 last night solo). I only let him join parties with kids I personally know from school.

You'r kid is a master of deception.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It just baffles me how cruel these kids can be. I am so glad I grew up with none of that nonsense relatively.

Can only pray these kids looks back at these moments in cringe and sadness when they are a little older.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
While I dislike BR concept and have never played one, my two 14 year old nephews are obsessed and I can absolutely confirm that they have peer pressure to spend money. They talk about it and try to figure out how to get the cash to get these items so they will be cool. It's sorta gross to me - what you are wearing in a fucking GAME is now enough to get you bullied or harassed with your peers. I keep trying to get them into other games there are so many great things I think they'd love, but they play Fortnite, Minecraft and COD and that's pretty much it

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I am legit happy I am not a kid nowadays due to 24/7 social pressence pressure. It annoys me as an adult, as a kid I would have been fucked.
I think about this a lot. I absolutely needed to be able to know that when I left school for the day I wouldn't have to deal with shit until the next day and could kind of shut off. I would not have made it in today's environment where that stuff follows you home via the internet.

On topic though, it does seem par for the course with bullying. Literally anything that can be used to bully someone will be used. Playing vs not playing the game, having vs not having skins... basically the modern version of how the Pokémon card craze went.

Jul 18, 2018
Going default skin is the new way of smurfing and gloating. Bet he's hustling kids for skins