Oct 25, 2017
Well, if the tone at the top was all-RPG-all-the-time the editorial board may have axed several Splinter Cell pitches that didn't fit the mold they're now trying to break out of.
I'm sure they have pitched MGSV like stealth action open-world game at some point. Basically Ghost Recon Wildlands but Splinter Cell name and with more stealth focus. I hope that never happens now. One big open world doesn't fit with Splinter Cell imo.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm sure they have pitched MGSV like stealth action open-world game at some point. Basically Ghost Recon Wildlands but Splinter Cell name and with more stealth focus. I hope that never happens now. One big open world doesn't fit with Splinter Cell imo.

Technically both Ghost Recon and Assassin's Creed should already cover the stealth open world paradigm. On paper at least. Sadly they don't, because of weird directions they took the franchises in.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't Ubisoft said some years ago that they won't care about stories and writing anymore?

They said that they are moving from setpeices and cinematic storytelling so they can focus on open ended and systemic mission design. So focus on story, deep characters and interesting and unique mission desing is out and we got outpost raiding where everyone can have different story to tell :D

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
They said that they are moving from setpeices and cinematic storytelling so they can focus on open ended and systemic mission design. So focus on story, deep characters and interesting and unique mission desing is out and we got outpost raiding where everyone can have different story to tell :D

That was a puzzling quote from CCO Serge Hescoet about Assassin's Creed, around the time of Black Flag's release. The same Hescoet will now have additional creative voices advising him about game direction so hopefully we get less of that.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
Time will tell but isn't part of the problem the massive staff numbers focused on making repetitive bits of a game then stitching like a patch work quilt, sharing features etc. I remain unconvinced they will differentiate from that. It needs to be a lot more substancial, like completely different game play loops and creative ideas.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
A moronic thought in the days of RDR2 and GOW.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
A moronic thought in the days of RDR2 and GOW.

What a stupid post, those aren't even the most popular games on the market, and they are considered rare. Something that happens maybe once per 5 years.

Open ended game design that focus on player agency and creativity is the way to go, there's a reason why people call this the Minecraft generation.

You can only play RDR2 for so long before realizing that you're basically just following the script without much choice or freedom.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Thank goodness. They've been doing well trying to diversify with multiplayer and smaller titles, but all their shooter games feel the saaaaaame.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
They really need to stop designing their games where they all genuinely feel like they're the same game but set during different time periods. All of their open world games have this sameness to them, and that's between completely different IPs, not even within the same one.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they recognize the problem and have a solution in place. Whether execute that solution successfully is another matter. The games, while being different, felt similar in how you played.