Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Outside of PlayStation the progress is likely to be drip fed progress wise. There was talk of the Vive Pro Eye tracking tech potentially being an extra people can buy for their current headsets further down the line. This is something we have seen a lot of from the PC biased headsets already.

There will still likely be big leaps, an example could be light field displays, we a still a long way off from them but if that was to be added to future VR headsets that would be a big change. Generally outside of that FOV, pixel density or resolution and any other bits and pieces could either be done as add ons or hardware iteration similar to that of phones rather than big generational updates. This makes far more sense due to them being in contact with the body.

Having a PSVR since launch I'd like for any future models to have a bit more flexibility in their upgrade path simply because it's a wearable and the wear and tear is different from a console and not as cheap as a controller to replace if a lens gets scratched or the headband padding comes off.

I think your reply and Krejlooc's may have read more into the "generation" comment than intended. Yes, it will be an incremental step up, but both the Rift and Vive are going to be hitting 3 years old soon. There's been some mid-gen upgrades, like the slightly lighter Vive, the Pro with the 2.0 Lighthouses and depth camera, and the Rift Roomspace and Touch Controllers, but for such a rapidly-changing and improving technology, these products haven't seen a full update yet. I've heard hit-or-miss things about the Knuckles controllers, but I think it's silly I'm still waving around big ol' Vive Wands while Oculus users get their smaller, more flexible Touch controllers. (I know I can technically use them, not the point.) Video cards just launched with a new connection standard designed to make VR hook-up more simple, but nothing actually uses it yet. Eye-tracking is a Now thing, not a 5 years down the road thing (as you pointed out, you can buy a Vive insert right now in China), and is both more immersive in single and multiplayer, and is the key to lowering hardware demands with foveated rendering on higher density panels. The normal Vive still ships with the 1.0 Lighthouses and no Deluxe Audio Strap standard, I just checked the site and some retailers. Both headsets could learn some comfort lessons from the PSVR, which lets you easily flip up the visor without any after-market 3rd party straps. And again, Valve's got something cooking, as Krejlooc probably knows. It's likely whatever they plan to do is coming timed with a BIG burst of content.

It's smaller stuff, but it does all add up. And sure, it's more akin to a video card upgrade, but those can be nice too. Especially if it's been a while since the last one.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Obviously you're not lying, but I'm still waiting for this opinion in my home. I've demoed mine to over 200 people now over 2 years and not a single person said anything remotely similar to meh. It was all "holy shit, that's absolutely incredible." Jaws on the floor.

95% that or nausea/headache/glasses issues but still blown away even then.

I can add to that by saying I have a company that sells/rents VR hardware, as well as software development and I have demoed VR to thousands of people by now. 99% of the time I get comments like "incredible" , "this is the future" , "this is so awesome" and similar. VR will keep improving with time and it will also get cheaper, so a lot more people will get to enjoy this experience.

Last edited:

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this is OT, but I can't seem to find a general VR OT. I haven't used VR at all yet, but I did contribute to a VR anime Kickstarter project, and I'm up at the deadline for providing what system I want my key for. The choices are Oculus Rift, Oculus Go, Oculus Quest, PSVR, or Vive. I like the idea of a completely self-contained headset, and I'm guessing I'll be doing more "experiences" than games on it. Would I probably be best off with a Go or Quest?

OP
OP

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this is OT, but I can't seem to find a general VR OT. I haven't used VR at all yet, but I did contribute to a VR anime Kickstarter project, and I'm up at the deadline for providing what system I want my key for. The choices are Oculus Rift, Oculus Go, Oculus Quest, PSVR, or Vive. I like the idea of a completely self-contained headset, and I'm guessing I'll be doing more "experiences" than games on it. Would I probably be best off with a Go or Quest?

There is no universal VR thread, but there is one for PSVR and one for PCVR.

Before I answer your question: what's your PC specs? Rift and VIVE required a beefy PC. Go is standalone mobile headset, Quest is something we don't know much about (will apparently work with both mobile and PC).

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
There is no universal VR thread, but there is one for PSVR and one for PCVR.

Before I answer your question: what's your PC specs? Rift and VIVE required a beefy PC. Go is standalone mobile headset, Quest is something we don't know much about (will apparently work with both mobile and PC).
My HTPC has an i7-8750H and GTX 1060 Max-Q. So borderline, from what I understand. I don't know if I'll be using it enough for it to be worth investing that much money into.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
The video had a pretty big oversight.
eye tracking is not really about navigating menus without a controller, but rather foveated rendering, which would fix the problem of VRs performance hunger and would make even standard phones powerful enough to render complex VR worlds at high framerates. (because foveated rendering means that only a tiny part of the entire FOV is rendered at full resolution, drastically lowering the amount of pixels that needs to be rendered.)

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
My HTPC has an i7-8750H and GTX 1060 Max-Q. So borderline, from what I understand. I don't know if I'll be using it enough for it to be worth investing that much money into.

I recommend running either Valve's or Oculus's VR performance applications. It should give you a good idea of what you can run.

malik180

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Iam willing to let go my unopened psvr astro bot and moss bundle bought during 100$ off promo at cost price if somebody is interested and missed out on holiday deals.
Ace combat 7 is amazing in psvr . Sad the content was short

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
The tech is pretty cool and impressive, but give me software that I actually give a damn about it, before asking me to fork some absurd ammount of money. Demos are cool, new IP experiences are neat, but I need a seriously impressive "excuse" to invest that much (console or PC + the VR set + any addons or updates. That's a lot of money).

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The tech is pretty cool and impressive, but give me software that I actually give a damn about it, before asking me to fork some absurd ammount of money. Demos are cool, new IP experiences are neat, but I need a seriously impressive "excuse" to invest that much (console or PC + the VR set + any addons or updates. That's a lot of money).
I don't really understand this point of view - you don't want a new game device with all new amazing games, you only want to play old franchises and won't buy any new gaming platform that doesn't have them? Well, good news for you I guess, in VR you can play Doom, Resident Evil 7, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Tetris, Borderlands, Ace Combat, Assetto Corsa, Rez, Serious Sam, Star Trek...

Me, I'm in it for the new IP built around VR:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

If you're going with one of the portables, definitely go Quest if you can afford it. Not only is the tracking (6DoF) much better, the controllers are infinitely better (more in line with Touch), and it's using gorgeous OLED screens like that in the Vive Pro. It's likely to be 400 dollars. If you can afford the cost, there's really no reason to choose GO over Quest.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
'Invest' is an odd choice of words for hardware that inherently depreciates in value.
I don't really understand this point of view - you don't want a new game device with all new amazing games, you only want to play old franchises and won't buy any new gaming platform that doesn't have them? Well, good news for you I guess, in VR you can play Doom, Resident Evil 7, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Tetris, Borderlands, Ace Combat, Assetto Corsa, Rez, Serious Sam, Star Trek...

Me, I'm in it for the new IP built around VR:

You know what? You are right. I made a poor choice of words and judgment here. Gonna take my L and research some more. Also, I'm a very, very cheap bastard who doesn't make a lot of money monthly, just wished VR technologies were more affordable to a Joe like me :P

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I agree in a sense, but this video is made like it's trying to still sell people on VR Hype at a point where people are more realistic about the current tech and the potential for the future, if there is even a similar future before it "dies" off, or more realistically dies down for a few years until we are able to get some bigger advancements to address VR's current shortcomings.

I agree because the video is right that it's more accessible than ever with more accessibility for the "high end" experience that only a few people could really afford before and way more content than the early days. But the reality is that it's because the focus has shifted from pushing high-end VR with constantly advancing tech for players who can afford it and "cheap" scaled down mobile experiences to trying to bridge the gap between the two, which honestly I think was the more sustainable approach rather than selling people on dreams that would disillusion people to what VR is capable of or could be capable of even in the short-term of a few months from now to keep the money flowing.

As long as you go into it like motion controls on the Wii or the Kinect after that initial hype subsided and people just accepted it for what it is and the limitations it has, that is something you can sell people, especially since it's just more affordable all around. At this point, if anyone had a passing interest but were held back by the hurdles or were waiting for the "best" headset with the "best" features before having something better replace it, this is the time to jump in because it will give you that VR experience and a taste of things to come.

For me, it has been a bit of a gimmick but something I've invested in to really get a chance to see what VR has to offer, and it's pretty awesome, but at the same time, things like FOV, lots of setup and wires, dealing with maintaining a sizable play area, input limitations, etc. It's not where I'd like it to be to be a regular thing that even begins to compete with my time for my more traditional gaming. I'm interested to see where it goes, and I'm willing to support it (but not on the level of donating to kickstarters and whatnot), but for what will still be considered the "early" days of VR as it's still trying to find it's footing, we've reached a point where I think it's a good place for most people to jump in if you were on the fence before or couldn't really justify the cost.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
I love the idea of standalone VR too, which is why I'm getting Quest to complement my Vive and PSVR.

Go only has 3DOF tracking, which means it only tracks orientation. You can look in 360 degrees, but you can't move.

Quest is 6DOF, which adds positional tracking. Everything besides prerecorded 360 video content benefits from positional tracking.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I can reserve an Oculus Quest key for now, and try to trade it if I end up changing my mind later on.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
You know what? You are right. I made a poor choice of words and judgment here. Gonna take my L and research some more. Also, I'm a very, very cheap bastard who doesn't make a lot of money monthly, just wished VR technologies were more affordable to a Joe like me :P
Which is fair. From one cheap bastard to another, it's worth it at the current price, and software is often cheap too 😉

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The choices are Oculus Rift, Oculus Go, Oculus Quest, PSVR, or Vive.

Right off the bat I would say if games are more of a priority then portability I would suggest PSVR primarily for the exclusive games you will get only get there and because PSVR has the larger installed base then the other headsets by many times meaning it will likely have and get more software support moving forward.

I'm not sure what you're trying to avoid, but if you're more interested in portability and VR experiences over games I would cautiously recommend the Quest as Facebook will back up the brinks truck for marketing and promotion allowing it to grab a lot of people relatively quickly giving a decent foundation of users to support development for the headset, for a little while atleast.

The problem with the new portable HMDs is that very few media people have had any kind of extensive hands on testing with these sets playing multiple games to give anyone any kind of idea about what the experience is like and they are being released in mere months from now. It's hard to recommend them because they can be here today and gone tomorrow. The constriction of a lot of in-game resources to meet the requirements of headsets for games built like two years ago makes it difficult to see these as compteitive in 2-3 years time and they're not cheap either.

What we do know now is that they are pretty much built on mobile phone tech, have limited computational abilities, probably no way to increase or extend processing power and they're going to be priced around $400.

To me PSVR represents the best value for money over the next 2-3 for VR gaming.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Right off the bat I would say if games are more of a priority then portability I would suggest PSVR primarily for the exclusive games you will get only get there and because PSVR has the larger installed base then the other headsets by many times meaning it will likely have and get more software support moving forward.

I'm not sure what you're trying to avoid, but if you're more interested in portability and VR experiences over games I would cautiously recommend the Quest as Facebook will back up the brinks truck for marketing and promotion allowing it to grab a lot of people relatively quickly giving a decent foundation of users to support development for the headset, for a little while atleast.

The problem with the new portable HMDs is that very few media people have had any kind of extensive hands on testing with these sets playing multiple games to give anyone any kind of idea about what the experience is like and they are being released in mere months from now. It's hard to recommend them because they can be here today and gone tomorrow. The constriction of a lot of in-game resources to meet the requirements of headsets for games built like two years ago makes it difficult to see these as compteitive in 2-3 years time and they're not cheap either.

What we do know now is that they are pretty much built on mobile phone tech, have limited computational abilities, probably no way to increase or extend processing power and they're going to be priced around $400.

To me PSVR represents the best value for money over the next 2-3 for VR gaming.
A lot of PSVR exclusives are traditional games with optional VR support (RE7, Wipeout, Tetris Effect, AC7). What you can count on from a Quest exclusive is that it'll be like nothing you've played before.

Quest will be a great platform for games. Someone just needs to ask themselves what kind of games and experiences they want.

Last edited:

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A lot of PSVR exclusives are traditional games with optional VR support (RE7, Wipeout, Tetris Effect, AC7). What you can count on from a Quest exclusive is that it'll be like nothing you've played before.

Uuuummmm...they are games that gamers enjoy playing and the experiences are anything but ordinary if they were experiences on any platform.

I have to be honest the little I've seen of actual Quest content isn't promising and I've seen very little which isn't good to begin with. The graphics for the Mall MR/laster tag experiment while a good public show was graphically on par with Rec Room, which is what I would expect for phone tech graphics, but for the price they are asking and the advancement expected in the next couple of years in VR/PSVR 2.0 so far it looks like the value for money proposition for Quest is quite low to me.