• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't have a lot of trust in that Saturn emulation tbh. The rest sounds cool though. Hope they send to MLiG before launch to have it put through it's paces and ease a lot of worries.
Yeah, if the only person who gets one to review is Metal Jesus Rocks, we will know something is up.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I will buy it for sure. Was looking for a solution to get the best picture plus scanlines from my saturn on my tv.

If I can install my disks will be glorious.
That solution already exists, it's called an OSSC. The picture quality is amazing and takes scart :p

I can post some pictures later tonight of games running on the OSSC if you want

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That solution already exists, it's called an OSSC. The picture quality is amazing and takes scart :p

*as long as it works well with your TV. Off-spec refresh rates don't play well with some modern TVs. The Framemeister can be a better choice in those instances.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
*as long as it works well with your TV. Off-spec refresh rates don't play well with some modern TVs. The Framemeister can be a better choice in those instances.
I have yet to find a TV that won'T take the OSSC

The one glaring issue was the SFC and that was fixed like 18 months ago with one of the firmware patches

If the OSSC can run the Amiga'S weird resolutions flawlessly, it can handle anything (even the SNES Hi-RES mode or Virtua Fighter 2, which looks beautiful on the OSSC)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds way too good to be true. The claim about all of the emulators being developed in-house makes everything about this sound dodgy instead of impressive.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious about that Saturn emulation. I still have mine but this could be a interesting alternative. I'll wait for reviews

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have yet to find a TV that won'T take the OSSC

The one glaring issue was the SFC and that was fixed like 18 months ago with one of the firmware patches

If the OSSC can run the Amiga'S weird resolutions flawlessly, it can handle anything (even the SNES Hi-RES mode or Virtua Fighter 2, which looks beautiful on the OSSC)
My Panasonic VT60 plasma won't take anything higher than Line2X from my NES, SNES, N64 or PS1.

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
if you want to make people believe your product is bullshit, just list "saturn emulation" as a feature.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
if you want to make people believe your product is bullshit, just list "saturn emulation" as a feature.
Not really

There were a bunch of breakthrough regarding Saturn emulation on low powered devices in the past few weeks.

Now an Odroid XU4 can emulate the Saturn prety well (like 60-70% compatibility with better performance and improvements done almost daily) and that's a 70$ SCB

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Boy oh boy, yet another obviously GPL-violating emulator box, can't wait

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
They had this at the Sol Cal Retro Gaming Expo, there's a video of the demo.

Don't care about Saturn and need to box my old systems as I have to keep pulling out my PS1 and using it on the one TV in the house that will work with it just to get through Lunar, so deffinitely interested.

Though I'm concerned about the general lack of support they have to run this operation. Not sure why they are opening preorders through a Wordpress site that isn't built on a server that adapts based on load. The attack basically stopped them from releasing the updated site.

Last edited:

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
The thing with this is that the cd drive and cart ports are just there to dump your roms/isos. So you "install" AKA dump your games, and then use a traditional software emulator to play the bog standard rom/iso images you create. Apparently the dumps will be encrypted so you can't use it to dump your games and then use them elsewhere, and you also won't be able to just put your rom/iso collection on it through the SD card. I'm not seeing what this gets you over a retropi or similar set up since you can't actually play off your physical media anyway.

Then there's the fact that they claim the impossible feat of having created a high quality emulator for every system they support in house. The amount of man hours they'd need for that is mind boggling.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
The thing with this is that the cd drive and cart ports are just there to dump your roms/isos. Apparently the dumps will be encrypted so you can't use it to dump your games and then use them elsewhere, and you also won't be able to just put your rom/iso collection on it through the SD card.
andimout.jpg

cacophony

Oct 27, 2017
The official Polymega twitter tweeted this earlier (but it looks like they have since deleted the tweet):
"We'll release some videos soon but it's full speed thanks to our pal Ryphecha who implemented it."

This is referring to the Saturn emulator. Ryphecha is the lead for Mednafen, so it suggests that they use that emulator for all the systems that they support.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The official Polymega twitter tweeted this earlier (but it looks like they have since deleted the tweet):
"We'll release some videos soon but it's full speed thanks to our pal Ryphecha who implemented it."

This is referring to the Saturn emulator. Ryphecha is the lead for Mednafen, so it suggests that they use that emulator for all the systems that they support.
So this guy rewrote the currently only x86 code Saturn emulator for ARM and did not backport that to mednafen because they want to make money off their solution? Hmm... I'm still for "let's wait and see".

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Did nobody realise that the sega really footage they use to demonstrate the saturn emulation is clearly the arcade version?

cacophony

Oct 27, 2017
Specs from website:

Weight 6 lbs
Dimensions 31 x 31 x 21 cm
Processor
CM8068403377713

Microarchitecture
Coffee Lake

Memory
4GB DDR4

Media
8X CD/DVD Slot-in Optical Disc Drive

Internal Storage
16GB eMMC

External Storage
Up to 512GB via onboard Micro SD (SDXC)

Connectivity
HDMI 2.0, 2.4/5Ghz Wi-Fi, Gigabit Ethernet, 2x USB 2.0, Module Bus Connector

Operating System
Linux

Video Output
1080p, 60fps

Internet Connection
Required only to access optional online services.

Online Services
System Update, Games Marketplace

Also: "For now, standard modules use standard emulation with low latency controller inputs. Certain modules in the future will release with an embedded FPGA that will allow extended compatibility with hardware accessories."

So it's definitely not running carts in real time. It will dump the roms before play, like the retron 5.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017

So they are using externlly developed emulators, which was obvious given the man hours it would have taken to make all of them in house from scratch. This is going to be an emulation box which has a nice front end and allows you to dump all your own games. So a super Retron 5 basically.

Specs from website:

Weight 6 lbs
Dimensions 31 x 31 x 21 cm
Processor
CM8068403377713

Microarchitecture
Coffee Lake

Memory
4GB DDR4

Media
8X CD/DVD Slot-in Optical Disc Drive

Internal Storage
16GB eMMC

External Storage
Up to 512GB via onboard Micro SD (SDXC)

Connectivity
HDMI 2.0, 2.4/5Ghz Wi-Fi, Gigabit Ethernet, 2x USB 2.0, Module Bus Connector

Operating System
Linux

Video Output
1080p, 60fps

Internet Connection
Required only to access optional online services.

Online Services
System Update, Games Marketplace

Also: "For now, standard modules use standard emulation with low latency controller inputs. Certain modules in the future will release with an embedded FPGA that will allow extended compatibility with hardware accessories."

So it's definitely not running carts in real time. It will dump the roms before playback, like the retron 5.

This seems ripe for people to jailbreak, and potentially make portable to other hardware.

cacophony

Oct 27, 2017
So they are using externlly developed emulators, which was obvious given the man hours it would have taken to make all of them in house from scratch. This is going to be an emulation box which has a nice front end and allows you to dump all your own games. So a super Retron 5 basically.

Yeah, pretty much it. It also looks like they're going to open a digital store which means an internally developed unofficial JB is unlikely.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
So are the modules just cart dumpers onto the base unit?

It says it comes with some games, but its not telling which ones.

cacophony

Oct 27, 2017
From the FAQ:

"If the $500,000 USD initial goal is not met within 35 days time, we will immediately refund all pre-orders and halt additional sales of Polymega™ until we can assess a reason for the lack of interest in the pre-order campaign, and attempt to correct it."

Also, it sounds like flash carts won't work.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Yes it is, but here's hoping anway. The system is a wonderful idea and looks great. I hope it can deliver on the promise
Oh yeah. If I hadn't have just bought a saturn and modded it I would be all over this. In fact I still might

It just surprised me with the arcade footage. Hopefully they just grabbed some random game footage as an example rather than trying to pass this off as how it will look.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
From the FAQ:

"If the $500,000 USD initial goal is not met within 35 days time, we will immediately refund all pre-orders and halt additional sales of Polymega™ until we can assess a reason for the lack of interest in the pre-order campaign, and attempt to correct it."

Since it doesn't run the carts directly, flash carts absolutely will not work. Nothing is run off the physical media. Anything that is inserted is "installed", and then you can select it from the UI to play. This is a huge problem for them since even people with huge collections generally prefer to just use flash carts.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the FAQ:

looooool they want people to preorder their Mednafen/Beetle emulator-driven Splorgenborg before having it vetted by a known entity in the community like MLiG? And it needs the actual carts and discs?

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

I would like pictures of the device too, yes. A scart to hdmi converter should be somewhat cheap to buy.
But if I have to invest ~200 to get hdmi+scanlines, this polymega would be the better deal, IF it runs all the games 100%.

Deleted member 5956

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this runs on an Intel x86 CPU?
(Google says this part number is Pentium Gold G5500T)
Maybe I misunderstood, but people in this thread seemed to be saying this was ARM.

This was from the So Cal Retro Gaming Expo, you can see this orange spec sheet briefly in the video someone linked above. And with absolutely zero updates or clarifications from the developers in the year since it's no wonder that everyone including myself thought it was ARM.

EDIT: And if it really is running a Pentium Gold G5500T then it will be good enough to run Saturn emulation to a very high standard (especially if Ryphecha is involved) as it has a single thread benchmark of 1878.

DOUBLE EDIT:

"The team at Playmaji has spent a good amount of effort on a piece of technology called Active Cartridge Reading, an experimental subset of Hybrid Emulation that allows you to use any games or peripherals that work on a real classic console using a live blend of software-based emulation and memory mapped hardware. This technology, while it exists, is not yet fast enough for some of Polymega's supported systems, and would result in a degraded overall experience if launched prematurely."

"First, we've licensed standard DSP-compatible emulators for systems with those types of cartridges,"

""This decision / change overall has freed up our team to focus on matters that more factually push the needle in terms of overall system compatibility, as evidenced by our recently-announced support for the Sega Saturn, adding over one thousand new compatible games to Polymega™. What made this possible is that by removing the larger size FPGA from the base unit, we were able to opt for a higher clock-speed dual core chip rather than a slower quad-core chip for the main CPU, which now opens up the door to more demanding systems like Saturn, N64, Dreamcast, and more — which is what many people have expressed to us that they want."

Whilst I cant access the small print myself due to site issues people are saying that they need to have 500k worth of pre-orders before it can go into production...…..

Last edited:

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no interest if I can't use flash carts. 90% of the time I use the Everdrive/SD2SNES to save on wear and tear.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I would like pictures of the device too, yes. A scart to hdmi converter should be somewhat cheap to buy.
But if I have to invest ~200 to get hdmi+scanlines, this polymega would be the better deal, IF it runs all the games 100%.
Cheap devices give shitty results. Invest once but do it properly

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
No.

https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/open-source-converter/

And this "console" is just going to be an emulator box like a Raspberry Pi running RetroPie. Judging from the quotes, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out being inferior to it, even.
Let's not get carried away.

The initial specs were those of an Asus Tinkerboard (they thoroughly outspec both the Pi3 and the XU4, only issue were the Mali T760 drivers which needed a lot of work)

If it's now using an x86 family cpu like the intel 5500 it would have no issues emulating the Saturn

Tbh thougj I've always hated how Saturn games look in the various emulators. They lose some grainess making them look overly clean

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently they want to crowd fund this by getting $500k cash, and if they fail to hit that number everyone gets refunded. Except they are not going to use Kickstarter or similar. You give the money directly to them. Kickstarter requires a prototype, which they might not actually have at this point. No red flags there at all.

Also for CD based games you may need to provide your own bios if the included HLE ones aren't compatible with your game. You can install them through the SD card.

The FAQ says they eliminated the FPGA for real time IO with the cartridge slot, so "hybrid" emulation appears to be gone. It's purely a software emulator now.

Last edited:

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Interested in how it turns out. We need modern access to Saturn games.

Not going to give them money though, they need to prove themselves first.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
When you factor in the costs of the modules even the budget conscious person should opt for OSSC + decent cable + original hardware instead.

I just don't know who this is for: it's not good enough to compete with high end options like a Super NT or a OSSC setup and it doesn't offer enough over a Retropie or a Retron 5 to justify the extra expense.

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
Visually the system looks nice, and the modules are cool. But it's just another emulation box, nothing to be excited about here for me.

No idea how they plan to have anything resembling decent Saturn emulation when even on a high end PC it's not 100 % accurate.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Visually the system looks nice, and the modules are cool. But it's just another emulation box, nothing to be excited about here for me.

No idea how they plan to have anything resembling decent Saturn emulation when even on a high end PC it's not 100 % accurate.
Nah Saturn emulation is prety much spotless on PC

This is the current state with an Odroid XU4 (a 70$ scb)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CKNefvxoLGI

Deleted member 5956

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

As I mentioned in my previous post the included CPU is more than capable enough to run Mednafen full speed. Whilst not 100% accurate it is now good enough that no one is going to notice any major faults in the emulation, like Snes9x for example.

Honestly they should be commended for getting rid of gimmick hardware features and focussing on a better CPU that will ensure it can run the best currently available PS1 and Saturn emulaton. Not communicating this with anyone until now is incredibly dumb though.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I am highly confused about the licensing. It says that each module comes with five pre-installed games. Did they sign a partnership with NEC, Nintendo and Sega to redistribute these games?

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
Nah Saturn emulation is prety much spotless on PC

This is the current state with an Odroid XU4 (a 70$ scb)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CKNefvxoLGI

As I mentioned in my previous post the included CPU is more than capable enough to run Mednafen full speed. Whilst not 100% accurate it is now good enough that no one is going to notice any major faults in the emulation, like Snes9x for example.

Honestly they should be commended for getting rid of gimmick hardware features and focussing on a better CPU that will ensure it can run the best currently available PS1 and Saturn emulaton. Not communicating this with anyone until now is incredibly dumb though.

Interesting...I remember Saturn emulation always having issues in the past so I guess this is a recent development. Still, it's hard for me to get excited about an emulation box when I still have my OG hardware and an OSSC.