• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
By this point everyone is aware of the easter eggs in Spider-Man PS4 that pointed to this year's Avengers game, btu a new easter egg in today's war table points to a possible shared universe.

From Game Informer:

www.gameinformer.com

New Marvel's Avengers Footage Features A Daily Bugle Reporter

Could Crystal Dynamics be hinting at a Spider-Man appearance?

In the opening cutscene of Thor's "Once An Avenger..." Hero mission, a reporter is broadcasting beneath the Avengers' helicarrier while a battle rages on. Upon further examination, the microphone flag features the logo of none other than The Daily Bugle, the publication that Peter Parker works/worked for. Could this potentially be a tease that the webslinger himself could be recruited by Ms. Marvel to help Iron Man, Thor, Black Widow, and Hulk in the future?

While this could simply serve as a meaningless nod to the greater Marvel universe, in our new interview with Crystal Dynamics, studio head Scot Amos says the team is adding teases in the launch-day content to hint at potential future heroes, villains, and story arcs. "Some of the hooks we cast into the water on day one, you're like, 'Oh, that's kind of cool. AIM has this undersea base. It's doing some cool technology. I wonder if that ever goes somewhere.' Then later, we pay that off with, 'Oh my gosh! That tied to this, and now this other character showed up!'" he says. "Those types of arcs are things we're starting at the core level and then adding these heroes, regions, and villains at no additional cost. That world keeps expanding and you're constantly on that buy-the-ticket-take-the-ride-with-us journey from the beginning through the expansions that we're going to have."

EDIT: I should've noted, but the logos are exactly the same between the two games.

g8vHDxH.jpg

FEPQHgk.jpg

Last edited:

Mossiah

Aug 28, 2018
New York
Don't think they're suggested that there is a shared universe between the games but it is a nice nod. If anything I would be surprised if Spider-Man didn't make it into the game as DLC.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I thought Marvel was specifically connecting these new run of games, much like the MCU.

Oct 27, 2017
It's possible, but I doubt the game universes are connected, if there's any inter game connection I expect it to be between Iron Man VR and Spider-Man PS4, with Avengers being it's own contained game, I wouldn't be surprised if a different Spider-Man is featured in Avengers.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Wasn't there a mention in the PS4 Spider-Man game about the Avengers being out on the West coast?

We know Sony has the marketing deal for Avengers. Between them locking down the Spider-Man game franchise for the foreseeable future and having an exclusive Iron Man game I could easily see them negotiating for either some sort of tie-in with the main game, or some sort of DLC. IIRC they did announce PlayStation would have some exclusive content in Avengers back at E3 2019, I don't know if we've been told what that content is yet.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
If Spider-Man appears, it's going to be Crystal Dynamics' version, not Insomniac's.

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
It's possible, but I doubt the game universes are connected, if there's any inter game connection I expect it to be between Iron Man VR and Spider-Man PS4, with Avengers being it's own contained game, I wouldn't be surprised if a different Spider-Man is featured in Avengers.
Spider-Man PS4 had easter eggs pointing to basically everything going on in Marvel's Avengers. They might not crossover but it's connected.

Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Man PS4 had easter eggs pointing to basically everything going on in Marvel's Avengers. They might not crossover but it's connected.
I don't think those were anything more than easter eggs. I could be wrong, but I didn't get a 'I want to talk to you about the Avengers initiative' vibe from them. We'll find out soon enough.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That's just the standard daily bugle logo.
I don't believe they'll cross over in any meaningful way, and if they do int won't be with the Insomniac version.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
"Some of the hooks we cast into the water on day one, you're like, 'Oh, that's kind of cool. AIM has this undersea base. It's doing some cool technology. I wonder if that ever goes somewhere.' Then later, we pay that off with, 'Oh my gosh! That tied to this, and now this other character showed up!'" he says.

Stingray-Marvel-Comics-Newell.jpg

Finally, it's Stingray's time to shine!

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think those were anything more than easter eggs. I could be wrong, but I didn't get a 'I want to talk to you about the Avengers initiative' vibe from them. We'll find out soon enough.
Like I literally just said, they probably won't crossover, but there's signs to them still being connected.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
By this point everyone is aware of the easter eggs in Spider-Man PS4 that pointed to this year's Avengers game.

There were? Why would Sony/Insomniac make promo for a game by Square Enix/Crystal Dynamics?
You are not talking about the Avengers tower, right? That was just a nod to Avengers in general not this specific Avengers game.

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
There were? Why would Sony/Insomniac make promo for a game by Square Enix/Crystal Dynamics?
You are not talking about the Avengers tower, right? That was just a nod to Avengers in general not this specific Avengers game.
He says when he spots Avengers tower that "they are on the west coast right now" which they are in San Fran in this game. Taskmaster is a boss as well and says that they are "recruiting" for a specific mission and they pay "six figures", and then he happens to be the first boss in the game, working alongside a rich guy like MODOK. Also throw in the fact that AIM was one of the financiers for Otto.

Those aren't just nods to the wider universe. They knew what they were doing.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He says when he spots Avengers tower that "they are on the west coast right now" which they are in San Fran in this game. Taskmaster is a boss as well and says that they are "recruiting" for a specific mission and they pay "six figures", and then he happens to be the first boss in the game, working alongside a rich guy like MODOK. Also throw in the fact that AIM was one of the financiers for Otto.

Those aren't just nods to the wider universe. They knew what they were doing.

But doesn't this Taskmaster look completely different from the Spider-Man PS4 one?

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Maybe Peter's called over by the Avengers to do some missions on the west coast, which is why Miles is left alone to work in New York.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I mean if Square did connect this game to Insomniac's Spider-Man it'd actually be pretty smart, because I'm not sure I'm playing it otherwise. On the other hand, I don't know that I want Insomniac to be tied down with someone else's vision, especially as they branch out their universe with a Miles standalone. This is unless they're speaking behind the scenes kinda like Kevin Feige does with the directors and writers of the different MCU properties.

OhMyZach

Oct 27, 2017
They could have done what Morbius environment artists did and just google 'Daily Bugle' and use that logo

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I think both would keep their canon separately even if connected. But I'm pretty sure the Spidey-PS4 Universe is considered the "Gameverse" as far as any comic crossovers go.

Oct 24, 2019
The more interesting part to me is the mention of that underwater base and it being tied to the appearance of a new character.

Namor confirmed?

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
i mean they always just ape actual new york newspapers for the bugle logo. for a long time it was the post and now it's like the daily news

this seems like a pretty thin connection to make

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Daily Bugle has had a lot of logos with a similar aesthetic, and this one doesn't seem much different. The bugle seems to to be slanted compared to the more standard one in the PS4 game. Again, it's subtle, but the Daily Bugle logo has changed subtly many times over.

It could just be a difference in art style, but it's not much of a connection on it's own. Like Taskmaster and the West Coast Avengers, these are pretty standard things from the comics that don't point to anything direct.

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense from Marvel's point of view, but I doubt it'll ever go any further than winks and nods. Something to throw in for those Top 10 Easter Egg videos and get fans talking.