Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
VR is just another gimmick.
It would not affect me for it being on the Switch but I don't want it either.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
It's probably an internal thing. The screen is too low res for proper VR.

It would be the lowest end of VR... But is not unplayable. I've played some games and watched adult videos using a headset that uses my mobile and is pretty passable. A headset for a standdarised screen-mobile like Samsung Gear VR would be the perfect fir for Switch.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I remember hearing about a vr like mode/function builtin to Switch but is not enabled from the before launch days

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
There is that Nvidia VR patent that's supposed to enhance image quality for lower resolution screens.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
VR is just another gimmick.
It would not affect me for it being on the Switch but I don't want it either.

I spent more time playing gimmicks the last 2 years than I spent playing "real games". I also don't need it on the Switch, but mainly because of the resolution. If they decided to roll with it though more power to those who would be interested.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
It would be the lowest end of VR... But is not unplayable. I've played some games and watched adult videos using a headset that uses my mobile and is pretty passable. A headset for a standdarised screen-mobile like Samsung Gear VR would be the perfect fir for Switch.

A Samsung Gear VR has quadruple the resolution of a Switch.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
They should make a Warioware VR game where you have to do things like shake your head left and right or up and down as fast as possible or spin around in circles.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
720p is too low of a res for VR, you need at least a 1080p screen for somewhat decent picture.

BuggyMike

Nov 2, 2017
Lol the guy calling VR a gimmick. Because of the new ways I've been able to play games only possible in VR, I will be enjoying VR for the rest of my gaming life right alongside "regular" gaming. It'd be a gimmick if it did nothing to change the way we play games. If you really believe that, you're ignorant.

On topic: I'm a Nintendo head and a VR fanatic, I'd be hype about Nintendo VR even on the Switch's 720p screens. Maybe this would work with that VR software thingy Nvidia has that apparently improves the image quality of lower red screens in VR. Or maybe this is being tested for a future higher res Switch.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
They should make a Warioware VR game where you have to do things like shake your head left and right or up and down as fast as possible or spin around in circles.

giphy.gif

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
it would be super low end, budget ass VR with that screen. Not something I can see Nintendo doing. When they do something they usually do it with a certain level of polish.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
In before VR is praised and revolutionary because nintendo. I would probably buy a switch for this tho

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It isn't a gimmick when done properly. Room scale VR feels like the future.
This makes no sense.

Nah, it's actually revolutionary.
To be fair, it can be both.

Imagine calling VR a gimmick in 2018
Imagine not knowing what gimmick means.

Such a shitty take that refuses to die off. Guessing you've never experienced actual 6DOF VR.
Again, it seems you guys have an issue with the word. And yes, I've tried VR and I was not impressed, it was derivative to me instead of revolutionary. Different perspectives I guess.

Just to clarify this is the meaning of gimmick:

gim·mick
ˈɡimik/
noun
  1. a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.
    synonyms: publicity stunt, contrivance, scheme, stratagem, ploy;
    informal shtick
    "the trivia contest was a gimmick to sell more newspapers"
Under that description, VR is indeed a gimmick.
Gimmick is not a negative word, but I've seen gamers offended by it somehow.

On topic, as I said before, the Switch doesn't actually need it, but I can see why some people would want it.
Knowing Nintendo, they would built a console around the idea of VR instead of trying to stack on it, but we never know!

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
How exactly... would a switch function for VR? A giant HMD that you slot it in?

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Dear god VR in 720p? And powered by something that is slightly more powerful than a PS3? VR on PS4 doesn't look great to begin with. Huge pass if true.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Though I'm sure VR could technically work on Switch, I really doubt it would be a good experience (low res screen + heavy hardware). Which sucks because I'd like to see what Nintendo would do with the format.

Gimmick is not a negative word, but I've seen gamers offended by it somehow.
Are you trying to tell me you weren't trying to use the word "gimmick" as a negative in that post right before saying "I don't want it"? lol cmon.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Meh, zero interest in VR on a single 720p screen without true motion tracking. Maybe next gen with a miniature battery powered Lighthouse emitter and a 1440p screen or something.