Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
giphy.gif

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
edl6xa4wrjm4b3yftu9m.gif

tumblr_ozamza3vAI1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Honest question - how popular were jrpgs during the SNES era? Did something like FF6 sell as much as Super Mario World, Zelda or Street Fighter 2?
I'm not trying to downplay those games since I love FF6 and Chrono Trigger, but me and my friends didn't even try jrpgs til the PS1 era with FF7.

I was about 10 or 11 at the time so maybe I just wasn't paying attention.
My friends were definitely into JRPGs in the NES and SNES days. A couple of us were really disappointed with the direction they went in the 32/64 bit era, actually.

Last edited:

Vorpal

Nov 4, 2017
s0bL2wV.jpg

I was actually looking for a screenshot where he says something along the lines of, "bet you thought this was 64 bit." DKC always felt like the closing of the 16-bit era to me, so it always stands out as kind of the height of the time for me.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Sega's marketshare peaked in 1993, and then started declining steadily onwards. The gen didn't "end" until mid-1995 (and actually kept going for another couple of years beyond even that). What do you mean?

Peaked in 93, it was until mid to late 94 that Nintendo took the slight market share lead. Sega moved on in May of 95.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Every game posted here has such a distinct look, that's one huge thing that I love about those days compared to today.

I agree, but also to be fair, these are the standouts that people remember. There's hundreds of old clone games that people don't remember.

But truly good sprite work is something to behold. Keep the gifs coming.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
That's a really cool one, but you should really post the name since that one's pretty obscure. I'm gonna call it obscure anyway since I've never heard of it.
It's The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang according to Google image search.

A lot of these should have names listed tbh. Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Honest question - how popular were jrpgs during the SNES era? Did something like FF6 sell as much as Super Mario World, Zelda or Street Fighter 2?
I'm not trying to downplay those games since I love FF6 and Chrono Trigger, but me and my friends didn't even try jrpgs til the PS1 era with FF7.

I was about 10 or 11 at the time so maybe I just wasn't paying attention.
In the US, Final Fantasy 3/6 sold ~900k. Chrono Trigger Sold somewhere around 200-250k. SNES RPGs posthumously ballooned in popularity through a combination of FF7 blowing the lid on the genre and the simultaneous rise of emulation and easy access to ROMs in the late 90s. This has definitely warped our perception of what the market was actually like at the time.