Do you think Sony/MS/Nintendo are still in trouble?

• Yes

Votes: 75 5.0%
  • No

Votes: 370 24.7%
  • They were never in trouble

Votes: 1,056 70.4%

• Total voters

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Arcade and Stadia find their own audiences and levels of success, no doubt, but threat? Nah. They're more like accompaniments than a threat.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Well considering that Apple and Google basically control the two most used computing platforms in the world, yes I think the rest of the gaming industry should sit up and take notice when they enter the market.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Apple is on mobile, while Google is yet to prove they have the technology or the content to actually compete with the 3. So for now I'd say no.

JCADX

Oct 29, 2017
Neither Stadia or Apple Arcade can replace what Sony/MS/Nintendo offer, so i don´t see the problem. The first is streaming only and the second centered around Apple platforms, so they are pretty limited in scope compared with the others, which offer far more (Sony has streaming + digital + retail, MS game pass...)

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
What's the difference between Apple Arcade and something like Humble Monthly? The only thing that can "threat" the big 3 is Stadia, but being a yet to be proven service, it can flop really badly.

They'll be fine.

anastiel

Banned
Mar 14, 2019
I think now the competition has started, where games will stop being made with love but rather to generate revenue, as we have seen in some current games.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Microsoft and Sony are in incredible positions to pivot. Nintendo would be also if they got with the times. Sony and Microsoft are already riding the wave of the future.

adobot

Mar 19, 2019
Google...maybe. Their vision seems to align with "real" games.
Apple...not at all. At least not with what they've shown. Their demographic seems to be the mobile gaming crowd.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
No. Not at all.

I am hopeful that gaming could grow, although have reservations and concerns about the models Apple and Google are using.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
I'm pretty convinced Google won't stick to stadia over the long term. It takes generations to work out the kinks in the hardware console space and while Google may be able to move faster on the software-side they also have to worry about infrastructure. I don't see them having them that kind of patience - cuts to the Pixelbook and Google Fiber being to very recent examples.

Apple is pretty happy with their space in mobile gaming, and this announcement seems to be doubling down on it. I could see Nintendo creating software specifically for it. I don't think traditional console makers have to worry as long as there is a market for traditional console games.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the cool thing with those threads is that now everyone can experience the wonderful "DOOMED" narrative no matter the console they own

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
LMK when Apple and Google produce games like Spider-Man, Yakuza, and Ghosts of Tushima. Then we'll talk.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Definitely not. Apple is just doing "here's premium mobile game ports you'd play on your PC anyway" on mobile.

Google has a heck of a lot more potential but the state of NA internet and lack of details is concerning.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
In trouble is overstating it for both but it'll have an impact on both. I can see switch's indie support taking a hit if apple arcade takes off

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
For the next 3-4 years nah no problems at all. The question is a generational one. Kids who are 2-5 years old now, as they ease into gaming, will they still want consoles? Will they want specific ones? Who knows, its really hard to tell what the game landscape will be in 5 years. I think its safe to assume Nintendo is pretty safe, they have their own little bubble and they are doing their own thing. Its unlikely Nintendo will ever double their customer base or anything like that.

Sony and Microsoft, I dunno. Google and Apple definitely want a part of their customer base, its just completely up in the air whether people will see a reason to switch or not. And its not a all or nothing kinda thing, but probably more insidious: you sub to one of their streaming services, and still have your consoles. But over the years you play more on the stream platforms and less on a console. And when time comes for next gen, you decide to just stick with streaming...

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not in the slightest. A full streaming future has many more dependencies than the current setup. Which works quite well for most. Outside massive installs/patches/updates. But streaming largely shares the common issue of bandwidth for many people.

Oh here we go. Mobile games aren't real games.
Oh they're very real gamers who largely (Some do not) encourage terrible industry practices and throw inordinate amount of cash at sub par offerings. Is this more appropriate. Or did you just not want people to criticize mobile games? Lol. Because it's gonna happen whether people say they're real gamers or not.

Nov 18, 2018
Apple Arcade isn't really a direct competitor because mobile gaming is pretty much its own separate thing. I don't see console gamers switching to Apple Arcade. Stadia could become serious competition in a few years but I don't think we'll really be able to judge that until Sony and Microsoft reveal their next gen plans.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well we haven't seen what Sony/MS will be selling for the next several years to complete with these as the PS4 and Xbox One fade away. So I dunno. Nintendo are in a good moment, though how long the Switch will last and what will follow it is still unknown, though I don't think Nintendo fear subscription services for 3rd party games considering they don't even rely on more tangible 3rd party games to begin with.

adobot

Mar 19, 2019
Oh here we go. Mobile games aren't real games.

The two can co-exist just fine, but they are aimed at very different audiences. You won't find the Division 2 on Apple Arcade, and that's fine, it's a different demographic and for that reason I don't think it competes with Sony/MS, where Stadia (i hate the name) seems more of a direct competitor.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
The Apple announcement seems no more relevant to the console platforms than mobile gaming has or hasn't already been.

It seems like Apple's take on what Amazon did with that storefront which renumerated devs based on time spent in app, no IAP etc.

I don't think it'll be attracting 'console' games.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Apple's focus is on mobile games with their subscription service. It just allows those devs that release paid games to have more of a chance in the mobile market so heavily influenced by F2P games.

Google is focused on streaming games with their service with no download play from the looks of it.

Nintendo/Sony/MS shouldn't be worried. It's just another option for the market. They are the physical/local media bearers (along with PC).

Roukira

Dec 1, 2018
France, Paris
I don't think they were or are in any trouble. However, Apple is going for exclusive and Stadia will too, so I hope we won't need a lot of subs to be able to enjoy all the games we want to, because that would be really bad. I'm more concerned about us being in trouble.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Nope, neither announcement showed anything worth shit. Nintendo/Sony just need to continue putting out great content and decent hardware and they´re fine.

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Nah. Stadia seems like an industry changing product. Sony needs to keep doing what they are doing, and keep making great content. Nintendo always manages to stay competitive. Xbox needs new leadership, thankfully, Satya Nadella is leading the MS ship.

Too soon to tell...

Oct 26, 2017
They were never in trouble. Maybe certain trends will require them to adjust but they've continuously shown the ability to do just that

In trouble is overstating it for both but it'll have an impact on both. I can see switch's indie support taking a hit if apple arcade takes off
Why would it hurt it? If anything, I'd imagine Apple Arcade would only help it out as opposed to hurting it as there'd be another platform with a similar level of power to develop for

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This thread is too early, wait for Walmart and Amazon + every other companies to to announce their service first

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Apple and Google are just starting, give them five years to build out and see where everyone stands.

Sony is the only one that is in danger of anything because they lack any sort of infrastructure. Nintendo may lack as well, but they're the bell of the ball. They're the disney caliber level of well known characters that can go anywhere and be courted to. Any of the services would be lucky to have them. Sony doesn't have the pedigree to pull that off.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Sony has already dabbled in streaming and subscription services for years. Microsoft has a great subscription service that's doing well for them and they're hyping up the rollout of their streaming service. Both of them have an enormous advantage over the newcomers as far as content is concerned. Nintendo is Nintendo. If it becomes apparent that they can't survive without joining the trend, they'll easily find a willing host or partner.

The Apple thing doesn't really register and I think a positive outcome for Google would be to eventually lease out their infrastructure to a large content publisher . I think there might be room for Google and Apple to do well, but I don't see them as threats to usurp the current hierarchy.