SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Let's get an idea of what different user's tastes are like.

A design I love:

ss-ukyo2.gif

205836-ukyo.gif

Ukyo, from Samurai Shodown. Calm, introspective, precise, poetic. It's a very simple design, while at the same time being very distinctive, and it tells you everything you need to know about the character. One of the reasons Ukyo shoots to the top of the list is that he gets his representation in a game full of gorgeous spritework, as to be expected of SNK. I also tend to think long haired swordsman are cool in general (Dias Flac from Star Ocean, Sephiroth, Zero from Mega Man X).

A design I hate...

BayonettaHero.0_thumb.jpg

Bayonetta. I can't even stand to look at this character. From her weird proportions to her over the top poses to her dumb hair to her cheesy sexualization, I pretty much hate this character from the ground up, inside and out. Even the color scheme on her gun is gaudy.

What about you?

Dec 12, 2017
LOVE : I don't even like any of the sonic games and Sonic is still the best designed character in video game history. Beautiful.

sonic_mania_character_artwork1.png

HATE :
Video-Game-Watch-Dogs-Aiden-Pearce-leather-Coat-450x600.jpg

What little boy or girl wants to grow up and design something like this? Design by committee at it's very worst.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
e868127a7da14a944869ef2ac2f28eb9.jpg

FFX Yuna is absolutely splendid. I'm not even sure what to say, other than just about everything about the design works for me. It implies the whole priestess thing without defaulting to stock white, and has its own refined flair to it.

latest

Brunhilde from Valkyria Revolution is just silly looking. She has comically oversized boobs and enough emblems and belts to make Nomura blush. Basically every character in that game is a design mess.

Also, I would have picked Bayonetta if you hadn't OP.

Nov 1, 2017
Both are from Umineko.

Love:

Beatrice

7u9Pz.jpg

Probably one of my favorite character designs in gaming. Beatrice has a face for pretty much every situation and emotion and I love her dress.

Hate:

Gaap

BSmKNPg.png

The dumb hat, the bow, her dress, the side boobs... None of it looks good. Just ridiculous.

Pho King

Jan 8, 2018
Love:
This Sora was so simple. The Goofy shoes, the Mickey one piece, and the Donald jacket . It matches with the whole theme of Kingdom Hearts.
latest

Hate:
I understand the whole nightmare theme and Sora being older, but this design is just too much.
latest

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Love:
This Sora was so simple. The Goofy shoes, the Mickey one piece, and the Donald jacket . It matches with the whole theme of Kingdom Hearts.
latest

Hate:
I understand the whole nightmare theme and Sora being older, but this design is just too much.
latest
Funny enough, I have the inverse opinion. I love KH2 Sora and think KH1 Sora looks like a goofy clown.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone look at my avatar. Do I really have to post a picture of the char design I love and the one I hate? I guess you all know it by now.

Yeah you guessed it, love uncle Dante, hate the abomination that Donte is (DmC's Dante)

I mean look at this piece of shit:

latest

Who the fuck came up with that design?

tokubek

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
I love Senran Kagura designs - especially Daidoji:

Rin is also great! :3

I despise Kratos, even the bearded design does nothing for me (it's slightly better I guess):
f2ea30_58822ca2bbdbf_ciA2NDIDZmFfOGNiYg==.jpg

He looks so stupid...

Lordciego

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
From Guild Wars 2

Love Rytlock Brimstone
1218508-rytlock2.jpg

Hate Scarlet Briar, they just tried to make their fantasy version of Harley Quinn looks and personality and I hated it.

Scarlet_Briar.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Both are from Umineko.

Love:

Beatrice

7u9Pz.jpg

Probably one of my favorite character designs in gaming. Beatrice has a face for pretty much every situation and emotion and I love her dress.

Hate:

Gaap

BSmKNPg.png

The dumb hat, the bow, her dress, the side boobs... None of it looks good. Just ridiculous.

I'm not familiar with this game but I'd go reverse. Girl in red looks like a bad *itch and the dress is fierce.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
LOVE: Super hard to pick one, but today I'll go with Iota from Tearaway:

http:///ifNc.png

Other candidates:

http:///hfNc.png
http:///ffNc.png
http:///efNc.jpg
http:///gfNc.jpg

HATE: Gotta go with Bayonetta. Never could stand this weird, gangly sexy librarian/BDSM giraffe mutant:

http:///dfNc.png

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
latest

Despise: That dude from FFX-2. You know who I'm talking about, so I'll save you the pain of looking at him again.

Oh well, if you insist...
FFX-2_Artwork_Nooj.png

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love
Simple, easy to draw, fun, looks good on signposts at the end of zones.

Hs7bRfv.png

Despise
Too busy. Buckles, zippers, buttons, looks bad on signposts. Bleh.
rnPRks8.png

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
Love (It's a shame that she's not very interesting, it's the best design of Zelda imo)
37e14333-e1a2-49a0-9626-3911c271a642.jpg

Hate (I see I am not the only one but it made me stop playing the game. I found everything to be ugly in this game)
latest

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
Love:

Other than Nia, she's pretty much the only design that I could stomach in Xenoblade 2, but that's not the only reason that I like her. I kinda dig the military marching band uniform thing that she has going on.

Hate:

I know that many would say that the weirdo from X - 2 was worse, but I didn't really play that one much, so I gotta go with Seymour. I don't think I really need to explain why either. Just... look at that.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
smdh at some of these, but anyway, my 2 cents:

Love:
jaemus-wurzbach-jaemus-masseffect3-garrus-iconic-game.jpg

Hate:
latest

Oct 27, 2017
Love:
220px-Kratos_God_of_War_III.png

Looks like a guy who has seen some shit, killed a lot and is very strong. It is also very iconic.
Hate:
latest

Not sure where to start. Looks like a long leg spider.

Oct 26, 2017
I remember people trying to tell me that, actually, Bayonetta's proportions are completely realistic and I'm just used to cartoonish and childish proportions.

No human being should have a head a 12th of their total height. It looks so fucking bizarre.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Love:

585px-Bowserjr_MP9.png

Hate:

800px-Koopalings_-_New_Super_Mario_Bros_U.png

(sorry but I really think they should have been left in the '90s)

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Good:
GH4jXLa.png

Pink Ostrich from Battle Circuit is rad as hell.
  • Very pink
  • Very ostrich-y
  • Extremely floofy looking
  • Possibly a pirate, due to the eye-patch
  • Rather than a bird on its shoulder, this pirate has a human perched on top of it. It's a sign of dominance
  • Giant glimmering necklace that looks like Mega Man X cores, so I am assuming it is a Reploid slayer as well
  • Spiky wrist-bracelet on one leg. Pretty punk rock
  • Other leg has broken shackles, illustrating it cannot be contained
  • Is world's only flying ostrich according to canon.
Bad:
VETvtTM.png

I don't know how to say this politely, but I don't really think they tried very hard with Dr Puzz from Yooka Laylee
  • She's by far the most humanoid looking original character in the game. Everyone else is a lot more animal-esque, and so she stands out like a sore thumb.
  • Stupid beanie-looking bowl-cut hair
  • Creepy Battle Angel Alita Western CG Anime eyes
  • Two different styles of tentacles
  • The tentacles don't even match her skin colour
  • It especially bugs me how those tentacles forced the design to leave the bottom of the upside-down fishbowl open, making it so water would surely fall out, but for some reason doesn't
When I saw her concept art looking like a child's drawing, I just assumed I was perhaps being too harsh and this was simply made by a developer's talentless, bad child. Alas, it was an embarrassment by a grown-ass professional. The sad reality is that they probably just saw an opportunity for a stupid pun, and desperately wanted to jump on it, in spite not knowing what to do with it.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember people trying to tell me that, actually, Bayonetta's proportions are completely realistic and I'm just used to cartoonish and childish proportions.

No human being should have a head a 12th of their total height. It looks so fucking bizarre.

Bayonetta? Bizarre? Preposterous!

It's cleary meant to be stylized so yeah I have no idea what those people were on. Personally that's why I love it. I love exaggerated character designs like her.

She's also supposed to be basses on fashion sketches I believe.
drawn-wedding-dress-famous-fashion-designer-1.jpg

1053eaefb0b972ad98f2d5a2c7b2711f.jpg

fleeting

Oct 27, 2017
latest

Brunhilde from Valkyria Revolution is just silly looking. She has comically oversized boobs and enough emblems and belts to make Nomura blush. Basically every character in that game is a design mess.

Also, I would have picked Bayonetta if you hadn't OP.

Really? I mean, sure looking at that image I can see that she has large breasts, but saying they're "comically oversized" is a bit much, don't you think? You see people with breasts that size IRL.

I really dislike Reaper from overwatch:

aafEA8U.jpg