• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
treasure-master.gif

Treasure Master
The GOAT

Johnnybarra

Nov 1, 2018
This thread is so beautiful to see. I enjoy Kena's running but it feels so stiff. Especially when turning and if you go the opposite direction you just lose all momentum and lock up.

Beautiful game but that animation has had me craving some really great running animations

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I did always love 2B's run animation but I never realized how convincing the kinetic aspects feel portrayed until this thread. Damn, that's cool.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
Best 3D running Animation - 2B in Nier Automata
Best 2d running Animation - Alucard in SOTN

I think the main character's movement is one of the most important thing to get right, since you spend almost 100% of the time looking at it while playing the game.
That and the OST.

Both GOAT have been posted, I have nothing more to add.

Last edited:

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade X has a really satisfying sprint animation. The running speed in the game is something like 30 MPH and seeing the scenery just tear by you and the way your limbs flail a little when you jump cause you're going so fast is all really nice.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
I agree with the FFXV shouts, the running almost feels real. I used to be so impressed by the older AC running/walking animations as well, but not sure how well they hold up these days

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019
I always loved Simon Belmonts awkward yet heroic power walk animation in Super CV IV

on topic. For some reason I have the softest spot for this one despite being technically lacking
Gifs_ninja-gaiden_avatar.gif

It just somehow exudes stealth and confident control with such limited resources. That's were my respect comes from I think. That ninjutsu

Last edited:

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing Concerns Around Objectification; Prior Ban for the Same
So we all agree that 2B is the best then. Lol As a KH fan, KH2 Sora's run was always good to look at.

That 2B running animation is incredible. Shame about the upskirt ruining it though.

Nothing was ruined. You're the only oddball in the thread to mention it because you were looking for an issue.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Can't find a good example of this since the Monster Hunter movie "knees" thing. But the animation in MH games when you're running away from a monster and the hunter lifts their knees up. That's the good stuff.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I almost forgot. FFXV has great animations too. Especially when you sprint change directions the model considers inertia and momentum, as such you see Noctis and such bend over on the other side to balance themselves and even touch the ground. Can't find a gif for that or for sprinting unfortunately.

I made a gif of the sprint redirection a while ago but can't seem to find it.

Noct's npc avoidance animation blend while running looks super clean too.

48wZcf9.gif

Mar 29, 2018
One of the problems is that running inherently looks bad from behind the back, so making an animation that is both physically correct and also looks good from behind is really hard. Also running is a series of controlled falls, using all of the bodies' mechanics to propel a person forwards, even though most people would think its a basic thing, its pretty hard to get it right.
Ah, another one of these challenges. Is invisible to players and seems like something trivial, but is in fact the opposite.

So, basically like everything in game dev ha ha.

Last edited:

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I made a gif of the sprint redirection a while ago but can't seem to find it.

Noct's npc avoidance animation blend while running looks super clean too.

48wZcf9.gif

This reminds me of Yakuza where you're wearing this 6ft invisible bumper car with magnified forcefields. Either that or everybody in Kamurocho is a football(soccer) player.