• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Khaos Prime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's no secret that the PS4 is destroying the Xbox One in lifetime sales. This was mostly due to the Xbox One's DRM policy and the fact that it was $100 more expensive, but a weaker console. Even thought MS later went back on the DRM, the damage had already been done. Microsoft killed a lot of marketshare gained from the Xbox 360.

Fast forward to today. Xbox is now lead by Phil Spencer, who took the reigns from Don Mattrick. Under Phil, we got backwards compatibility, Xbox One X, Game Pass, among other things. It just feels that Phil Spencer is much more in touch with what the core gamer wants that Don Mattrick was. With Microsoft acquiring a bunch of development studios, they're making a genuine effort to produce some great exclusive content. And the next Xbox will likely be a beast spec wise.

With Phil Spencer leading the way, I think the next Xbox will beat PS5 in sales, at least in North America. Xbox struggles to find a big audience in Europe (outside of the UK) and especially Japan. But perhaps they can turn that around (at least in Europe). I think the future will be very bright for Xbox and Xbox fans.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
It's no secret that the PS4 is destroying the Xbox One in lifetime sales. This was mostly due to the Xbox One's DRM policy and the fact that it was $100 more expensive, but a weaker console. Even thought MS later went back on the DRM, the damage had already been done. Microsoft killed a lot of marketshare gained from the Xbox 360.
No. It's not just that, you are in for disappointment.

Zippro

May 20, 2018
People already revvin' up for more console wars.
Jerry-Seinfeld-No-Thanks-and-Leave.gif

I'm just gonna say this. This generation was lackluster and I really don't think we need another one yet, especially since we're just going to see a continuation of this gen's diminishing returns with the next generation. We'll see a small spike in the next, but that will be the last true major leap before they stagnate completely.

Last edited:

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I'll see your "the PS4 only succeeded because the Xbox division made some dumb mistakes" and raise you "the 360 only succeeded because the PS division made some dumb mistakes."

[both of these arguments oversimplify things to the point of being utterly useless]

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
I think they will probably be more competitive than this gen, but it's also very unlikely Sony makes another PS3-level miscalculation, too.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Let's not dismiss the fact that the PS4 is a great console too though. While MS fucked themselves, they were also beat by a better product. I don't think it is safe to assume that Xbox will take back the sales throne in NA that easily. In Europe I think Sony really have to drop the ball for that to happen. Even then I think it's not gonna happen. Most people that I have discussed videogames with in my country don't even use the word console, but rather just say Playstation.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
I agree, especially with how anti consumer Sony is, they're doomed to be last place next gen.

Deleted member 23965

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Reminds me of the next gen prediction thread at GAF. Everyone was gleefully predicting the demise of Sony, and there was not enough crow to go around when reality hit.

I have no idea why the Xbone debacle is pinned solely on Don Mattrick, Phil was part of the top echelon and could have spoken up when this shit was going down. In any modern Fortune 500 company, a single dude cannot just guide the ship wherever he wants, without having most members of the team on board. So unless you have any prior record of Phil speaking out about the DRM policies while Don was in charge, the Xbone DRM and the subsequent impact to the Xbox brand is as much on Phil as it is on Don. This good guy Phil - bad guy Don dichotomy is some of the dumbest self-deluded fanboy crap.

Max Payne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS will push cloud gaming next gen. Sony will keep the current formula with some adjustments. Gen won.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
Lol this thread should be locked faaaaast. Also cmon now we know nothing about the next consoles lol relax.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If we're gonna make bold next gen predictions based on nothing but BS speculation, then I'm gonna say that GoogleBox and Apple Pippin 2 are gonna drop next gen and flop harder than the Switch U.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
I remember these threads back in 2012-2013... predictions turned out to be wrong, to say the least.

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, well what about the 2028 Xbox vs PS6?! Can we PLEASE stop wasting time and figure out who will dominate various regions for that gen?

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Google is going to buy Sega and launch Super Dreamcast Streaming appliance and Win! You heard it here first. This is about as accurate prediction as the OP's at this juncture.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
People already revvin' up for more console wars.
Jerry-Seinfeld-No-Thanks-and-Leave.gif

I'm just gonna say this. This generation was lackluster and I really don't think we need another one yet, especially since we're just going to see a continuation of this gen's diminishing returns with the next generation. We'll see a small spike in the next, but that will be the last true major leap before they stagnate completely.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
If PS5 is backwards compatible, the great majority of ps4 players will choose to stay in their ecosystem, with their library of games....

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first mover may well be first failure this time out; the market isn't ready for new more powerful hardware yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.