ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
The recent botched release of Warcraft 3: Reforged has re-awakened my preservationist instincts with regard to custom games/maps for these classic RTS's and other games that had thriving mapping/modding scenes. I have been playing Starcraft/Brood War on/off for over 20 years now, and that is 100% due to its custom maps scene. In fact, in all of those 20 years I've almost exclusively played custom maps (Use Map Settings or UMS, as we call them in SC), barely ever having even touched the singleplayer campaigns or having delved into traditional competitive online play. I can't stress how enough how much the legacy of custom maps scene in Starcraft means to me and how intertwined it is with my entire gaming history.

When I saw that Warcraft 3: Reforged launched with a ton of cutbacks, missing features, and bugs, I wasn't surprised. Blizzard gives their Classic Games Team insane deadlines with too few resources with which they could ever hope to meet them, and then they have no problem pushing these remasters of their all-time classics with little fanfare and in a sorry state. The most egregious part of WC3R's launch that I've read about, however, is that it retroactively (and maybe irreversibly) breaks a huge proportion of custom games that have been working just fine on the pre-Reforged client for decades. Now, there are a variety of reasons for this, but all of them are problematic because no update of a classic game should ever ruin the original. Period. But at this moment, that's where we seem to be with Reforged.

DZXTB6OVTQCE1569264711611.jpg

The official WC3R site makes special mention of custom games despite so many of them having been broken by the new client.

I don't know what the future holds for custom games in WC3, but in the meantime I just want to do my part to help keep the legacy of these old custom maps/games alive as best I can. I'll start by re-posting an up-to-date list of online repositories of SC1 UMS Maps. I recently posted this on Reddit as well, but I figure the more places this list ends up the greater the likelihood of people rediscovering maps that they thought had been lost to time or just getting back into custom games in general. Thankfully, Starcraft: Remastered was developed with enough care that 99% of all custom maps still work properly with it, so we don't have anything resembling the Reforged fiasco to worry about here.

Updated Links to the Best SC1 UMS Map Repositories for 2020

Created and hosted by Reddit user u/wzfa1, this site hosts 18,000 maps that can either be downloaded individually or as an entire collection via one 1.7GB 7Zip file. The site's layout is simple, but effective, and downloads are fast and easy.

Curated and hosted by SEN's prolific mapmaker Pr0nogo, this archive contains all of the custom campaigns that used to be hosted on Campaign Creations long ago. Look no further if you're a fan of Brood War custom campaigns. (Note: Some might not work on SCR if they involve mods).

The Architect RPG - best RPG map ever made for BW. This might only be a link to a single map, but I feel the need to include it because it's one of the most impressive examples of SC1 UMS you're likely to ever encounter.

Long-running map hosting site. 15,929 maps and counting. You can upload your own maps here too.

The StarEdit Network (SEN) is the most active community of UMS mapmakers, and you can browse their database of published maps via the link above. Also check out their SC1 Production and SC1 Showcase forums.

Amazing 7500-map collection with cleaned-up filenames and split up by category/genre. Also includes a curated list of recommended maps with pictures and descriptions.

Formerly hosted on scmaps.net. ~20k maps in this archive. Searchable.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
It's a shame that the custom games are so broken now with a good lot probably never going to be updated.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I said in the other thread, I have to believe they cave in to the outrage and at least allow people to opt out of the Reforged client. I can live with the BNet 2.0 thing, even the clans and the like, but not being able to play custom maps that worked for 15+ years up until last week is unreal.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
As I said in the other thread, I have to believe they cave in to the outrage and at least allow people to opt out of the Reforged client. I can live with the BNet 2.0 thing, even the clans and the like, but not being able to play custom maps that worked for 15+ years up until last week is unreal.
Yes. All of the bugs and cutbacks in Reforged are nothing compared to this egregious erasure of history that they have committed IMO. It must be reverted somehow.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. All of the bugs and cutbacks in Reforged are nothing compared to this egregious erasure of history that they have committed IMO. It must be reverted somehow.

I mean, I haven't played WC3 decently in over a decade, but I remember having tons of versions of the same maps, sometimes with minor differences that, still, made a lot of sense to preserve either way. I must have had like 50 different sheep tag maps, 20 different variations of my favourite tower defense (Cube TD) between official releases and fan variations... while I'm not even sure I have those files somewhere at this point (I probably do, but I'd need to check some really old HDDs hidden who knows where), I could download them from one of the many sites hosting them. Except they probably wouldn't work, because the creators (the ones still around) will likely update the ones worth updating, leaving behind alternative versions, betas or whatnot that shouldn't come around according to the authors or they're not worth wasting time on.

Or the game is gonna have an alternate unofficial server that runs 1.31 until further notice, kinda like pirated MMOs would have their own servers. I have to believe Blizzard isn't just gonna leave behind all that content like that. Imagine if all custom Doom WADs would no longer work unless manually updated. Imagine if Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament suddenly had no more custom map support unless the original authors interveined on updating them. Imagine if TrackMania games would have none of past custom tracks work on the new version of the game. Nah man, this is some bullshit that I can't believe they're not gonna address. It would be low and outrageous even for today's Blizzard.

bdwnfn99

Oct 25, 2017
Man I remember trying to beat the Padorath's Return BW UMS map with friends and we never could. Back during the age of dialup we'd be playing that map for somewhere near 4-6 hours trying to get through it and one of us would get disconnected or a family member would need to use the phone.

SC UMS maps were so good back in the day. Zone Control, Tower Defense, so many others that I remember playing the style of game but can't remember the names of.

Back then you could download the map, edit it yourself to set up some godlike character for you to use, then play it and steamroll other players. Those were the days.

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
There was this great haunted house UMS map in Broodwar that I could never get working for whatever reason, but thanks for posting. I may visit them one day and I hope Blizzard fixes this (they probably will).

Oct 28, 2017
Long time ago..I remember a custom map for W3:TFT called Hero Siege, I guess there shall never ever be a game like that ever again.

Edit: 6-8 players and a complete power fantasy trip, with even a radical mode called double hero mode. It was completely over the head and bonkers insanity in lan parties.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Long time ago..I remember a custom map for W3:TFT called Hero Siege, I guess there shall never ever be a game like that ever again.

Edit: 6-8 players and a complete power fantasy trip, with even a radical mode called double hero mode. It was completely over the head and bonkers insanity in lan parties.
Hero Siege maps are still playable in Starcraft and probably even in WC3: Reforged as well unless they used custom models. Most of them didn't use any existing IP, so they wouldn't fall under the ludicrous restrictions that would result in a ban in Reforged currently.