• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
[UPDATE]

Typhon Hunter and Transtar VR are coming December 11. Free for owners of Mooncrash and/or owners of Prey Deluxe Edition. Typhon Hunter is also going to be playable in VR sometime in 2019.

Not sure if posted already, but it seems like it's indeed Typhon Hunter, and it's coming out December 11.

PREY is about to be my GOTY 2 years running. Mooncrash counts as 2018, right?

[EDIT 2: a staff member from Arkane has confirmed that there will be private matches as well as matchmaking/quick play for Typhon Hunter. Good news for people who want to set up sessions with friends only!][/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
I will support almost anything they do given what I thought was going to be a throw away roguelike mode became one of my favorite things of 2018.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I'm afraid we will probably get more DLC as opposed to a full sequel despite how incredible the first game was. Seriously it was incredible.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Seems a bit early for a full sequel imo. My bet would be either a new DLC for Prey 2017 or even a potential Switch port.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not falling for this again after how they teased a story expansion for months then dropped a roguelike DLC on us at E3. I'm still upset about that.

It's probably that multiplayer thing they were supposedly working on for Prey. Don't go in expecting anything more than that and you won't be disappointed.

Deleted member 28076

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Mooncrash is the best DLC ever made. I am down for whatever Arkane does next.

I'm not falling for this again after how they teased a story expansion for months then dropped a roguelike DLC on us at E3. I'm still upset about that.

It's probably that multiplayer thing they were supposedly working on for Prey. Don't go in expecting anything more than that and you won't be disappointed.

Literally nothing but your own expectations was saying it'd be story-based and being a roguelike doesn't mean there's no story (and there is one in Mooncrash.)

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give us more Prey
I enjoyed Mooncrash and I hate Rogue-like stuff. What a superb experience Prey was all around

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017

Same thoughts, honestly I haven't played Mooncrash and will get to it once I can, but I was definitely disappointed when the reveal was that it wasn't a Story DLC, I was so hyped for something like that.

Anyways, hopefully some years down the line we get a Prey sequel, one of the best games this generation.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
If this is an actual thing then it will be the announcement of the TGAs for me. I still need to play through Mooncrash though!

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So Prey's twitter account posted this today.

It's been confirmed that Typhon Hunter and the PREY VR Exprience(s?) that were announced back at E3 2018 are still coming out this year. (And if you've not played Mooncrash yet, you should.)

I can't remember the location/scene from the twitter clip being a part of any pre-existing PREY media and it doesn't look like an in-game location from the main game or Mooncrash. The clip itself looks like a high-quality cinematic render of some kind, the stuff you'd expect a slick out-of-house VFX studio to produce. Similar to how PREY's original E3 2017 reveal trailer was slickly produced.

The PREY subreddit community is theorizing the same thing: a TGA reveal of some kind. Here's hoping!

PREY is about to be my GOTY 2 years running. Mooncrash counts as 2018, right?

Isn't this video an Alien reference?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still sad the game didn't do well. Such a cool and unique game. They don't make these kind of games anymore :(

OP
OP

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If I wasn't clear in the OP, I'm thinking that, yes, this will be the proper reveal of Typhon Hunter and VR stuff.

Also, for folks saying that they're disappointed that Mooncrash isn't story-focused, I'd argue that it does have its own story -- just that it's not immediately connected to Morgan Yu's story on Talos 1. It expands the PREY universe, if you will. It has 5 characters with their own unique stories that you'll slowly learn as you play. It also has the overarching narrative of "Operator" who you (outside the game, proper) control, who then controls each of the 5 characters inside the (in-game) simulation. Mooncrash itself makes a very compelling argument for what the Immersive Sim genre can be, moving forward, when fused with RL elements and shorter narratives and play session times.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
I'll support anything they throw at us, honestly. It seems a bit early for a sequel, especially since the original game didn't do so well, but anything like Mooncrash would be fantastic.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I wasn't clear in the OP, I'm thinking that, yes, this will be the proper reveal of Typhon Hunter and VR stuff.

Also, for folks saying that they're disappointed that Mooncrash isn't story-focused, I'd argue that it does have its own story -- just that it's not immediately connected to Morgan Yu's story on Talos 1. It expands the PREY universe, if you will. It has 5 characters with their own unique stories that you'll slowly learn as you play. It also has the overarching narrative of "Operator" who you (outside the game, proper) control, who then controls each of the 5 characters inside the (in-game) simulation. Mooncrash itself makes a very compelling argument for what the Immersive Sim genre can be, moving forward, when fused with RL elements and shorter narratives and play session times.

Ah I didn't know it already had a name (the hunter thing).

I mean I hope it's a proper sequel and all that but with how bad it sold I just can't see it happening.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I loved Mooncrash (Even though the ending was really weak). Nothing about Typhon Hunter or VR interest me, so while I'll hope it's something different, it's probably just that.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for at least a SP expansion. I still haven't played Mooncrash, because I'm continuously adding to my backlog and keep forgetting about it.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Prey on Switch?

It is a fun have that I need to play more of, but I don't have a lot of time for it.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm...I really enjoyed Prey, but I feel like it's pretty much a wrap for immersive sims at the moment. I hope I'm wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, I'll take any more Prey content I can get.
Bethesda should just release Human Head's Prey 2 for shits and giggles at some point

OP
OP

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm...I really enjoyed Prey, but I feel like it's pretty much a wrap for immersive sims at the moment. I hope I'm wrong.
There's lots of smaller scale Immersive Sim-style experiences to look forward to.
Void Bastards, DUSK, System Shock 3, Blackout Club (kinda?), The Long Dark (kinda?), that ongoing project from the team (one guy?) who worked on Consortium: The Tower, etc. Here's an interesting article from PC Gamer about the "future" of Immersive Sims, if you're interested.

Underworld Ascendant was released not too long ago but it's been a bit of a disappointment. I'm still hopeful that updates could improve it a bit though.

A small part of me kind of thinks that FO76 also plays closer to an Immersive Sim than ever before now as well, even though I hesitate to plant it firmly in the genre. Everyone's already dead (hah!), lots of storytelling through notes, audio logs, the environment itself, etc. Crafting, survival elements, etc.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I'd probably have a heart attack if they released the remaining experiences, announced a new roguelike expansion like Mooncrash, and a sequel to Prey. Like I would probably expire. Mooncrash is so so good, and I love Prey.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
Prey is ripe for a best in generation DLC like Minerva's End. Prey is a masterpiece that I think of more fondly as the months go on.

Troublematic

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'd love to get back to Prey so this is pretty good timing. I haven't done the DLC yet, and I wasn't even aware they were doing a VR "experience". TBH I'm kinda wary of what sort of "experience" it'll be since what little E3 coverage I checked seemed like it was a very limited thing, probably just something they've played with internally for R&D and decided to put out as free DLC. It would be interesting if the whole game could be played in VR with proper touch controller support. Doesn't seem like that's happening though.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Could be an expansion. I don't think the game does well enough to justify a full blown sequel.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
Prey and Deus Ex are two franchises that desperately need a sequel at some point. I'll keep waiting.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
I would love even a tease at a new game, but it is likely just upcoming content. I thought the mimic hunt mode was added with Mooncrash.