Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing really exclusive to Fortnite. I honestly think that most free to play games with lootboxes need more regulation. Don't think the game needs to be banned but I'm not a fan of how those games are designed.
Fortnite's main cash cow, their Battle Royale mode, doesn't have loot boxes. The Save The World mode has loot boxes you can see the contents of so it is no longer gambling.
The overriding opinion on Era seems to be that GaaS is bad, so seeing so many people on the defensive when Fortnite is called out seems a bit odd.
People's hatred of popular thing X is always going to exacerbate irrational opinions.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
Hate to break it to you, but literally every company wants you to spend money on their services and products. It's like, what the hell are you people on saying this is exclusive to Fortnite?
It's not exclusive to Fortnite, but I guess "Games as a Service" isn't a phrase he's familiar with. And there's definitely a discussion to be had here regarding GaaS and how companies want you to get addicted/spend money on their GaaS forever.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
The headline sounds dumb, but the idea that a game is created to addict to sell microtransactions (random loot boxes or not) to kids is valid I think.

Games with the potential to bottomlessly spend can be dangerous to kids.

I think you're somewhat missing the bigger issue. The danger with video games, and particularly GaaS which are designed in various ways to be addictive and to encourage habitual and or obsessive behaviour is not that children spend too much money on them, but they spend too much time playing them.

I think there's a tendency amongst older games to be more focused on the direct dangers of monetisation (e.g. with lootboxes), but in the main children are the victims of the other edge of the free to play sword: they spend time to make up for their inability to spend money. It isn't the fact Fortnite allows bottomless spending which is problematic for children, it is the fact that the game has dozens of systems which encourage logging in every day, playing every few days, playing a lot every week, playing a ton every season.

Fortnite's monetisation isn't as problematic as the monetisation in a lot of games, but its engagement mechanics are more problematic than the engagement mechanics in most comparable games. Of course, the sheer success of Fortnite, is leading to those precise systems to spread like wildfire.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
So betting/gambling on horse races and sports and what not is totally fine but video games is where the line is crossed all because of one visit he made. Hmm.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing really exclusive to Fortnite. I honestly think that most free to play games with lootboxes need more regulation. Don't think the game needs to be banned but I'm not a fan of how those games are designed.
Yeah, pretty much.

These games need regulation, when they're designed to get people addicted.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Fortnite's main cash cow, their Battle Royale, doesn't have loot boxes. The Save The World mode has loot boxes you can see the contents of so it is no longer gambling.

Huh, has that always been the case? I remember checking out the game a while ago and I don't remember you being able to see the contents. Am I mistaking that for a different game or was that a change made at that point?

I take it back then, I thought it was the gambling implementation my bad.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not exclusive to Fortnite, but I guess "Games as a Service" isn't a phrase he's familiar with. And there's definitely a discussion to be had here regarding GaaS and how companies want you to get addicted/spend money on their GaaS forever.
I haven't spent a dime on Fortnite in months, I farm V-Bucks for free. So I don't get the argument why Fortnite in particular is somehow the worst example of GaaS.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, has that always been the case? I remember checking out the game a while ago and I don't remember you being able to see the contents. Am I mistaking that for a different game or was that a change made at that point?

I take it back then, I thought it was the gambling implementation my bad.
They made their "Loot Llamas" into "X-ray Llamas" a few months back, so it's somewhat new. Tbh I use my V-bucks on Llamas way more now if I know there's something actually good in them.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017

You used to like games Harry. Including the "addictive" (and now monetization-riddled) FIFA.

Who hurt you?
The overriding opinion on Era seems to be that GaaS is bad, so seeing so many people on the defensive when Fortnite is called out seems a bit odd.
Fortnite is a free game. It also does not have lootboxes, or "pay-to-win" mechanics.

I'd love to rag on Epic wherever I can, but the monetization scheme here seems perfectly reasonable in my opinion.

Last edited:

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everything people enjoy doing can become an addiction. Cheers for that insight Harry, glad that education didn't go to waste

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
Sort out addiction by prohibiting the drug .. When has that ever gone wrong?

Also, fuck off you in-bred.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
the royal family and any semblance of monarchies in so-called democratic countries should be banned how about that

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I think about it....the internet in general should be banned. Seeing to many people spend too much time on it.

Oh yeah and ban smartphones as well - those poor kids.

Some people don't realize how ridiculous they sound.

From 1859:
A pernicious excitement to learn and play chess has spread all over the country, and numerous clubs for practicing this game have been formed in cities and villages...chess is a mere amusement of a very inferior character, which robs the mind of valuable time that might be devoted to nobler acquirements, while it affords no benefit whatever to the body. Chess has acquired a high reputation as being a means to discipline the mind, but persons engaged in sedentary occupations should never practice this cheerless game; they require out-door exercises--not this sort of mental gladiatorship.

Ban chess

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I'll start to sound like a broken record, but so many users agreeing with him astonishes me.

It's telling that even on a place like Era, where progressive values are championed, there is still widespread ignorance of the futility of fighting addiction through prohibition.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
There are people ITT agreeing with him

I see several people agreeing that GaaS games, Fortnight included, are designed to be addicting (and they are definitely designed to keep you coming back, whether through FOMO or other means, and to keep giving you new things to buy, that's the entire business model).

I haven't seen anyone honestly agree with him that banning individual games is the proper solution. (Other than one or two kinda-trolling responses from people who presumably don't play the game and so won't care one way or the other if it gets banned, and one or two joke posts.)

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Yeah...kids totally didn't spent hours before the TV or monitor before the introduction of GAAS game.

You do realize that Fifa, Diablo, WoW, Civ, Football Manager had all of us sitting for a crazy amount of hours before the screen ? There will always be something. It's the parents responsibility to make sure that the Kids respect some boundaries.
In this case tho, it's not about them sitting in front of a screen so much as them becoming whales due to the way that F2P GaaS can incentivise spending on their storefront.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
If we're gonna ban everything that causes addition, ban alcohol, cigarettes, netflix, etc then.

I don't get it why videogames always standout in terms of addiction.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Banning addictive substances is not a solution, the disastrous war on drugs and prohibition are proof enough of that. Video games can certainly be addictive, but the solution is treatment and awareness.

Further regulation is needed but his position is poorly-researched and asinine. I'd be surprised if the experts he talked to would actually advocate prohibition of some kind. Most mental health professionals who treat addiction know better.

Velka

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's not exactly wrong. The game is designed to keep you playing and paying. Banning is misguided but regulations around these kinds of games is sorely needed, not least of which is the fact that they do target children and young adults.

Was thinking of this. I had a time when I bought LoL skins when I shouldn't have because "oh look there's my favorite character and the art is amazing" I never went too overboard but I still look back with some regret.

Fortnite's sales tactics are insidious as fuck, can't imagine what that does to a 13 year old.
The game itself is not a problem but that cashshop's gotta be regulated.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
MMOs are GaaS in a sense, and people have been getting addicted to them since Everquest. How many people have gone to therapy for WoW addiction?

These things are designed to manipulate the chemicals in your brain, obviously. Feedback loops and all that. It's good business, and it's on you to control yourselves and your animal impulses. Regulating this stuff in any surface level attempt isn't going to get rid of the problem, and over regulating it isn't the solution in a country founded on personal freedoms. There's literally no good solution beyond: CONTROL. YOURSELVES.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah definitely, and we are the lucky ones who werent predisponed to get thoroughly addicted to the game.

You can look at sites like this or articles and see how adults have ruined their lives because like alcohol addiction, they just can't stop:

https://www.olganon.org/forum/i-nee...-years-my-life-diablo-2-wife-recently-left-me

When I said regulation, it's to protect some kids from ruining their lives from an early age. Even worse now when these games are now available on mobile.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I'll start to sound like a broken record, but so many users agreeing with him astonishes me.

It's telling that even on a place like Era, where progressive values are championed, there is still widespread ignorance of the futility of fighting addiction through prohibition.

It's just because this place doesn't like GAAS games, and broadly MP games either. If Harry was saying something bad about a From Software game, hoo boy

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I think you're somewhat missing the bigger issue. The danger with video games, and particularly GaaS which are designed in various ways to be addictive and to encourage habitual and or obsessive behaviour is not that children spend too much money on them, but they spend too much time playing them.

I think there's a tendency amongst older games to be more focused on the direct dangers of monetisation (e.g. with lootboxes), but in the main children are the victims of the other edge of the free to play sword: they spend time to make up for their inability to spend money. It isn't the fact Fortnite allows bottomless spending which is problematic for children, it is the fact that the game has dozens of systems which encourage logging in every day, playing every few days, playing a lot every week, playing a ton every season.

Fortnite's monetisation isn't as problematic as the monetisation in a lot of games, but its engagement mechanics are more problematic than the engagement mechanics in most comparable games. Of course, the sheer success of Fortnite, is leading to those precise systems to spread like wildfire.

Love this. It's why I don't discuss F2P or lootboxes here anymore...these games are all over mobile and PC, and the vast majority aren't spending large sums of money...but they are spending vast sums of time. Lootboxes aren't universally bad and can be handled right (Destiny 2 right now) and there are plenty of F2P monetisation schemes that are terrible but don't have lootboxes. And let me tell you, these F2P games tend to be the worst timesinks...no B2P game that I have ever played can match the time I have spent in some F2P games, just to do the minimal progression.

I also brought up the hypocrisy that lootboxes should be regulated, but games that addict people into playing 80 hours a week are not addictive and should not be regulated?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Never forget
9751992-3x4-700x933.jpg

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite's sales tactics are insidious as fuck, can't imagine what that does to a 13 year old.
The game itself is not a problem but that cashshop's gotta be regulated.
Oh give me a break, insidious? They have every right to make and sell skins.
In what way is selling basic costumes insidious? Game companies have been doing it for decades.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
BTW.. That Nazi thing? From what I've heard Will was also dressed like that but Royal PR did a deal with the press to only drop Harry in it.. Can't have the (probably) next monarch dressed like an evil nazi .. Even though his family seemed quite keen on them at the time.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Was thinking of this. I had a time when I bought LoL skins when I shouldn't have because "oh look there's my favorite character and the art is amazing" I never went too overboard but I still look back with some regret.

But LoL skins aren't in loot boxes even. You're saying you bought some things that were offered for sale that you shouldn't have bought, knowing the price and the thing you were buying.