• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Delayed from May 7th to September 3rd.

While we currently have builds certified on all platforms and are ready to release, some issues regarding memory usage and minimum spec configurations experiencing more failures have emerged. Considering the legacy of Prison Architect, and you - our passionate community, we want to ship the best possible sequel to such a beloved game, without cutting corners to do so.
Additionally, console players will receive an automated refund - as per platform policy. Pre-orders will still be available, but you will need to purchase the game again to secure the pre-order bonus. Steam players who wish to refund their game can use the refund option via Customer support.

It's worth reading their announcement in full, as goes into detail about the technical problems they are facing. Definitely the right move for them to delay after the City Skylines 2 fiasco IMO

Last edited:

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Cities Skylines 2

squidward-window.jpg

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
take your time.

As long as they release this year though, because i picked this game for my fantasycritic lmao.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
When was this originally set to release..?

EDIT: "May 7th to September 3rd" - Feels like that's a lede buried from the OP, considering many of us didn't even know of the original release date.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
It's good that they have delayed it after cities skylines 2 but is the sequel to Prison Architect quite ambitious because the first one didn't scream out to me as a game that remotely pushed performance.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
When was this originally set to release..?

EDIT: "May 7th to September 3rd" - Feels like that's a lede buried from the OP, considering many of us didn't even know of the original release date.

It was actually originally supposed to release in March. I know cause I was excited to get it for my birthday and daw later it was pushed to May.

Please, take your time on this one. Game is sure to be a hit as long as it gets enough time in the oven.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I mean prisons perform very badly in general and a complete reform of the carceral system is the only solution so things aren't looking great for this game.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's good that they have delayed it after cities skylines 2 but is the sequel to Prison Architect quite ambitious because the first one didn't scream out to me as a game that remotely pushed performance.
My experience with these sorts of games is, because every 'agent' (in this case prisoners, guards etc) is simulated in real time with their own needs, tasks, pathfinding etc, there tend to be CPU constraints unless they do a lot of logic optimisation. Basically any inefficiencies become an exponentially larger problem as they're amplified as you get more agents.

The original does a decent job of this but still struggles on large prisons, and I'd imagine in a 3D sequel the pathfinding for example is going to need work as your effective navigable area is much larger. Line-of-sight for guards spotting prisoners is a thing too so obstacles need to be calculated, also in 3D space.

Good to see they've delayed to allow for optimisation, CS2 was nowhere near ready. Apparently I have 128 hours of this on Steam, add a few more from when I played on iPad and I can safely say I'm ready for a sequel.

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I had that prison break game in my head when thinking of this one. But yeah, this is a sim game where the longer you play the more performance is impacted because you keep adding and expanding to the point where you can run out of resources.