User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's get some easy ones out of the way:

- wine
- coffee
- cholocate
- beer

All that shit tastes the same wether you paid 1€ or 1000€. Everybody would fail a blind test on those things.

Possibly more controversial:

- headphones (or audio equipment in general)

It's not quite as clear-cut in this case. Going from your garbage 20€ headphones to mid-range Beyerdynamic BT 770 Pro is absolutely worth it and a huge leap. Past the mid-range, diminishing returns definitely kick in, although I opted for <200€ headphones myself and I'm happy I did. >300€ headphones don't strike me as being worthwhile under any circumstances, and I consider audiophiles as largely deluded.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
nope to all of those you mentioned

you get diminishing returns beyond a certain point but for all of them, mid-range products are a lot better than the cheapest products.

My answer would be microtransactions in full-price video games

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Smartphones. I'm still rocking a Nexus 5 and I don't see how anyone can think of spending upwards of $1000 for one, let alone half of that.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That is a terrible OP.

Chocolate tastes incredibly different depending on the ingredients, and american chocolate...isn't.

Oct 25, 2017
I've also yet to meet anyone that can honestly tell the difference between Kellogg's Cornflakes and own-brand.

If someone can, please let me know in what way they taste different.

CellarDoor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Errrr NO.

You can taste the difference in higher quality chocolate than cheap processed imitation crap.

I for one am a semi-connoisseur of dark chocolate.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chocolate?
Are you from the US by any chance?
Because that doesn't make sense in the slightest.

Living in Belgium for over 40 years now, I dare you to give me a blind taste test of good chocolate and cheap, shitty chocolate.
Heck, I even had a friend in the UK who would request "care packages" of Belgium chocolate since he found the local stuff to be either bland or even vile. He told me the US stuff was even worse than what he was able to get in regular stores.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

- wine
- coffee
- cholocate
- beer

All that shit tastes the same wether you paid 1€ or 1000€. Everybody would fail a blind test on those things.

It's not quite as clear-cut in this case. Going from your garbage 20€ headphones to mid-range Beyerdynamic BT 770 Pro is absolutely worth it and a huge leap. Past the mid-range, diminishing returns definitely kick in, although I opted for <200€ headphones myself and I'm happy I did. >300€ headphones don't strike me as being worthwhile under any circumstances, and I consider audiophiles as largely deluded.

You, my friend, do not know shit about wine, coffee, chocolate, beer or audio equipment.

Legit answer - HDMI cable.

Baka Sempai

Oct 30, 2017

- wine
- coffee
- cholocate
- beer

I really have to disagree on all the listed ones, but specifically the "beer", ...
If you really can't tell between a $30 bottle of st. Bernardus vs a $1.50 bud light, then, there's definitely an issue, and yes, there's even pricier beer (distilled craft beer such as the XX from johnny walker which ran for around $100 a bottle)

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You couldn't have come up with worse examples than coffee, chocolate and beer to illustrate your point. Next you're gonna be saying you should only pay bottom dollar for weed too

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Um....you can taste a difference in Beer, Chocolate, Wine, and tell the difference in Headphone quality

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
as per the OP, I agree on wine and chocolate but definitely not with beer and coffee.

Um....you can taste a difference in Beer, Chocolate, Wine, and tell the difference in Headphone quality

wine is one of those examples where even "expert wine tasters" can be fooled with a $15 bottle of wine.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe more controversial: Watches.

My Seiko 5 keeps time just as well as any Rolex. No-one needs a 1.000 € watch. Scam is probably too harsh, but racket is fair.

Anyone remember Vertu, by the way?

signal

Oct 28, 2017

- wine
- coffee
- cholocate
- beer

You have severe damage to your senses if you couldn't be able to tell the difference between at least some of those items within the 1 to 1000 euro range. As someone who hates wine and beer I probably couldn't, but coffee and chocolate definitely.

My Seiko 5 keeps time just as well as any Rolex. No-one needs a 1.000 € watch.

Considering things like "prestige", warranties, resale value, etc., I wouldn't call it a "scam". Maybe not worth it to most people, though.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
OP, I disagree on beer. Drink a good, snobby craft beer, than go drink a Bud Light or something like that. The taste is totally different.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Folding knives over $70 in my opinion.

Rather spend $100+ on a fixed blade. But I'm biased a bit :P

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Wine, coffee, chocolate, and beer all are often better by going up a grade or two. It doesn't mean the top shelf products that cost an exorbitant amount of money is worth it, but none of those works. Headphones? lol

While still water isn't necessarily better the more you pay for it, there's absolutely different taste between different brands.

Cable, mostly true. OTC pills, mostly true.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

My Seiko 5 keeps time just as well as any Rolex. No-one needs a 1.000 € watch. Scam is probably too harsh, but racket is fair.

People who are buying a Rolex (or any other expensive premium brand watch) aren't buying it solely for its ability to tell time.

This thread and OP seems like it highlights some people's inability to realize that not everyone places value in the same things.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
You have somewhat of an argument with wine given the elitist culture around it but lol at the rest of your list. You should look up some videos that detail the craftsmanship that goes into making chocolate, brewing beer, and cultivating/roasting coffee beans they might open your eyes.

My answer to this question is bottled water and non-gmo food.

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting choices for a guaranteed thread backfire. Don't mess with mah chocolate, man. Cheap chocolate is basically filled up with plant oils, which is honestly just gross. Also, the amount of sulfates in cheap wine is much higher than in most 'good / normal' wines, it's just beyond that point that the difference stop. Beer is actually a different taste per brew, so that's a straight 'no' to that one. Coffee is highly suspect indeed, but unfortunately the actually cheaper versions are "melanges" rather than regular coffee. It's like comparing margarine and butter and then calling them the same. Shame on anyone who recommends that poison, margarine, over butter to anyone.

I was thinking like, hardware, or extra insurance packages (EU, baby! ), and yes: those crappy headphones Apple makes.

One legit foodstuff is bottled water though. It literally comes out of the tab from basically free.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Bottled water
Any sort of electronic cabling
High octane gas for 99% of cars
Anything sold at Whole Foods

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
Modem/routers anyone? Not sure if there's a huge difference between a $40 one and a $200 one besides being able to utilize higher download and upload speeds. Correct me if I'm wrong though