• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Coke is a weird one here.
People called all soda cokes in the 90s and early 00s, but it kinda faded out after that and I never hear it anymore.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Oh yeah all the classics. Kleenex, Koolaid, Band-aid. I have some Mexican friends who call all soda Coke.

Oh and for people who don't know, not all Velcro stuff is velcro. Velcro is a company name, not the name of the hook and loop fasteners.

Heroin
Trademarked by Friedrich Bayer & Co in 1898.[16][17] Trademark lost in some nations in the Treaty of Versailles, in 1919.[18]
Bruuuuuuuuuh

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I feel like medicine is cheating but I'm gonna say medicine too... for regular stuff outside of like, insulin and Ibuprofen (Advil/Motrin) I'd say that most people just refer to whatever brand name there is. No one is realistically going to say "acetaminophen" when you can just say Tylenol

Panadol in NZ for the brand and paracetamol for the drug, same thing as Tylenol/acetaminophen. Which is to say I did call it by the drug name in my new immigrant confusion stage.

Laephis

Jun 25, 2021
I still catch myself saying "xerox" even though I almost never use a photocopier anymore.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Jet Ski. I work in the industry and even though Kawasaki has very little market share, the name refuses to go away. Most dealers will let slip jetski as a term when selling other brands.

Down in NZ we called it Glad wrap. No idea why that specific brand was popularized here but a bit funny plastic-wrap seemingly gets co-opted via the brand name everywhere.

In Australia too. Glad was apparently the first cling wrap to market here. It was actually invented here, but first appeared in US markets. Saran never made it down here from what I can tell, which is the reason we refer to it as cling wrap.

We always called them cotton buds in the UK. Never had the Q-Tip brand as far as I'm aware.

Cotton Buds here too in Australia. I don't remember seeing Q-Tip marketed here also.

Last edited:

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
MĂ©xico
Sabritas here in MĂ©xico which is actually the brand that produces and sells popular chips such as Doritos, Fritos, and many more.
At least where I live everyone calls every brand of chip, Sabritas

Azem

Oct 25, 2017
Doona. I don't care who makes it. It's not a duvet, it's not a quilt, it's a doona.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Superglue
Sharpie only if it's really permanent marker
Scotch tape, partly because other brands often weren't as good over the years, so I hoped the buyer would get the brand name

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
There is one in France not many realize : Frigo (for Fridge).

It's not a shorthand for the proper french word (wich is réfrigérateur), it's a short hand for the brand Frigidaire. Brand that actually barely has any presence in France anymore.

Shiki

Nov 30, 2017
Probably very french canadian specific but when I was a kid, practically everyone called a refridgerator a "frigidaire". Still say that to this day but it's not as common around me.

Heck, it took me till my mid-20s to realize it was the actual brand, it never crossed my mind until I noticed XD

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
In Flemish people say 'pampers' to diapers in stead of the official word 'luiers'.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Probably very french canadian specific but when I was a kid, practically everyone called a refridgerator a "frigidaire". Still say that to this day but it's not as common around me.

Heck, it took me till my mid-20s to realize it was the actual brand, it never crossed my mind until I noticed XD

France french too. But Mostly using Frigo as a shorthand for Frigidaire as i mentionned above, but Frigidaire is still used from time to time. Mostly by older generations that think they use the proper word (and yet still don't :p ).

Ferret

Oct 25, 2017
X-acto knife. Also White Out but I haven't really thought about that since high school.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
This one is completely bizarre to me. There are a thousand brands, and have been since before I was born, and I'm old. I might think of Kirby or ElectroLux before Hoover

As others have pointed out this must be a UK thing then. I assume they were first to the market here, or the one that took off. I don't think we've ever owned one, but my mum did.

OrangeKnight

May 8, 2023
281x840.jpg

I wouldn't even know what to call it if not Maggi. 'Taste enhancer"?

Also a somewhat related anecdote:
When I was in Indonesia, I ordered a cola, and they said: sorry, we don't have cola, only Pepsi. That was an unintentional sick burn

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
Sharpie

Gundams (for all mechs)

Speedo
I've always hated this because Gundams are a very specific type of mech within the Gundam series, whereas all mechs in it are actually refered to generically as "mobile suits".

At the risk of sounding like a hippocrite my own example is Gunpla for robot models. Yeah "plamo" is the neutral generic term but I just like the way Gunpla sounds in comparison.

Oct 27, 2017
I've always hated this because Gundams are a very specific type of mech within the Gundam series, whereas all mechs in it are actually refered to generically as "mobile suits".

At the risk of sounding like a hippocrite my own example is Gunpla for robot models. Yeah "plamo" is the neutral generic term but I just like the way Gunpla sounds in comparison.
Ha, yeah I use gunpla as a catchall myself.

"Gundams" was used by my wife and youngest son back when I was watching and building more. I stopped having the energy to "ackshually" lol.

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
Ha, yeah I use gunpla as a catchall myself.

"Gundams" was used by my wife and youngest son back when I was watching and building more. I stopped having the energy to "ackshually" lol.
This is a case I think where if someone actually watches it they always call them mobile suits, but if they're only cursory familiar by say just knowing someone who watches the series or builds kits then they're almost always Gundams.

I understand why since it's the name of the damn meta-series but knowing that doesn't bother me any less.

(I'm a bit of a Gundam nerd lmao)

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
A funny thing related to the Gundam example, the first episode of Full Metal Panic Fumoffu refers to Arm Slaves(fmps mechs) as "mobile suits".
This is hilarious because Fumoffu doesn't actually feature said mechs so it's the sole reference to them and they used the goddamn Gundam series name for mechs instead of just saying mechs or idk use the name they established and use in the rest of the FMP series.

(I'm sure I'm the only person who ever noticed this)

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Crocs for all Crocs-like shoes
Frisbee for all flying discs

More region specific (Finland):
Vichy for all mineral water
Minigrip for all resealable bags
Hyla for all low lactose or lactose-free products
Aura for all blue cheese

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
In my native tongue, it's basically just the names of some medicines, and sometimes using google as a verb. There are also words that used to be product names but no longer are, and some words are derived from foreign product names (styrofoam, for example) but aren't actually the same word.

In English, there are at least a couple more, like band-aid for a plaster and coke for any sort of cola drink.