• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's awesome how progressives call out greenwald left and right when he talks out his ass, but because they think he's right about *some things* the OP gets to call him a "progressive icon" sarcastically like we should throw progressivism in the trash along with him

the guy's reporting team won a pulitzer prize and he gets homophobic slurs thrown at him on social media by the son of fascist brazilian president jair bolsonaro (who is in the middle of trying to cull "communists" from his country, where glen spends time with his brazilian journalist husband)

do i admire some of the things he's said and done? yes. do i also think he massively downplays russia's ties to trump in order to play foil to the #resistance, as well as saying a bunch of idiotic shit and going on Fox News way too much? also yes
He's getting the "Progressive Icon" sarcastic label for the same reason Tulsi Gabbard is- they've got horrible, horrible views on many subjects that many handwave because they're "sticking it to the US".

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's getting the "Progressive Icon" sarcastic label for the same reason Tulsi Gabbard is- they've got horrible, horrible views on many subjects that many handwave because they're "sticking it to the US".

"progressive icon" implies that he's some darling who is viewed completely uncritically by everyone to the left of kirblar

he isn't viewed as not being problematic, and is constantly dogged by controversies like this, even by people who like him. i'm not going to pull a liberal era poster move and ask you for "receipts" of people "handwaving" his behavior, because i'm certain you could find examples even though i don't really see it.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"progressive icon" implies that he's some darling who is viewed completely uncritically by everyone to the left of kirblar

he isn't viewed as not being problematic, and is constantly dogged by controversies like this, even by people who like him. i'm not going to pull a liberal era poster move and ask you for "receipts" of people "handwaving" his behavior, because i'm certain you could find examples even though i don't really see it.
I mean, we just had one in the last thread where someone asked for receipts on Greenwald supporting the Iraq war, was given them, then refused to accept that Greenwald's own words said what they said they did.

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, we just had one in the last thread where someone asked for receipts on Greenwald supporting the Iraq war, was given them, then refused to accept that Greenwald's own words said what they said they did.

okay so that person got owned i guess

at least greenwald didn't retract his support for invading iraq immediately prior to announcing he's running for president

but i don't even feel like that's an example of a progressive refusing to criticize glen for something like associating with Fox or defending tulsi gabbard, it's just a typical internet scenario of someone being uninformed about something and then refusing to admit they were wrong, in this case regarding someone's support of the iraq war which was in 2004

Last edited:

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
353.gif

But seriously I've never heard of the man. And if he's said such shit, he's not progressive in the slightest. This is clearly a racist situation and anyone who would both sides it can easily be discarded from any discussion regarding leftism and social progress.

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
353.gif

But seriously I've never heard of the man. And if he's said such shit, he's not progressive in the slightest. This is clearly a hostage situation and anyone who would both sides it can easily be discarded from any discussion regarding leftism and social progress.
How old are you? Legitimately serious on this one because it's kind of impossible to not know who he is if you were politically aware when the Snowden stuff went down.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
How old are you? Legitimately serious on this one because it's kind of impossible to not know who he is if you were politically aware when the Snowden stuff went down.
I admittedly didn't start paying any attention to the nitty gritty of politics until like 2016, and wasn't super socially aware until about 2014. I'm a late bloomer.
Like I knew about Snowden, but I didn't really pay attention to his lawyer who googling him now is apparently this guy? In which case I could see why he'd be called as such before. But he's clearly not now.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I hate when leftists are so cynical that they betray their own ideals. I like a lot of the journalism Glenn does, but he just invalidates tons of the good will with things like this.

I've defended his views on plenty of occasions due to it accurately representing progressive viewpoints, but if your just gonna pretend like absolutely everything is equal every time something comes up like the MAGA kids, what point is there to differentiate the nuances?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate when leftists are so cynical that they betray their own ideals. I like a lot of the journalism Glenn does, but he just invalidates tons of the good will with things like this.

I've defended his views on plenty of occasions due to it accurately representing progressive viewpoints, but if your just gonna pretend like absolutely everything is equal every time something comes up like the MAGA kids, what point is there to differentiate the nuances?
He was never a leftist though- him and Snowden being Ron Paul guys was always a tell.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

There's some truth to what he's saying, until he gets to the theorizing about races being played out differently and imagining what the reaction would be. Both 'sides' are very quick to jump on the bandwagon of a group of black kids being up to no good, I highly doubly that theoretical white priest would have been trashed by the 'left' media.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
What actually happened between Nathan Philips and that group of MAGA teens is really rather unremarkable. He walked up to them drumming, they did some contemporary dancing in order to mock the man.

However, the image initially presented is so powerful that many don't want to accept the fact that it's not at all what we initially thought.
Correcting the factual events of the original story is not what people are taking issue with. It's that now it's being framed like the MAGA kids are being victimized because we didn't have all of the facts from the beginning. So instead of adding additional details to what happened just saying "they wore MAGA hats which provoked a group of bigoted minorities, who then shouted vile trash at them, then the native American guy tried to get between them to prevent further conflict, then the kids shouted racist, vile shit at him and his group", now we have the out these racist, white privileged pricks needed.

That they were provoked by the native Americans and the group of black people, who originally started yelling at them because of their racist hat.

As if the actual context of them being racist pricks matters, in regard to whether they walked up to them or vice versa.

That doesn't change the context of kids throwing on MAGA hats and treating native Americans like the mascot of a sports game.

The media got the slightest out for them and are completely changing the context of the story since there were some details that weren't initially known.

Never mind that these kids shouted sexist/rape culture commentary at women and others who were standing around them, that their school has a history of racism and bullying, even sexual abuse. Never mind that the chaperones were all standing around and letting this happen, and in one case, even joining in (yelling things out and high fiving someone on the way out).

Or that full body black face and screaming at black people is acceptable. Or using their privilege to hire PR firms to completely lie about what transpired and gain sympathy from virtually everyone around them.

But since the events themselves were slightly misrepresented, now all these MAGA white kids are off the hook. Cuz that's all the media needed to justify it.

Last edited:

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
He was never a leftist though- him and Snowden being Ron Paul guys was always a tell.

It's funny how you're doing the exact partisan "with-us-or-against-us ethos" Greenwald described 8 years ago:

Katrina vanden Heuvel -- needless to say -- does not support and will never vote for Ron Paul (indeed, in subsequent tweets, she condemned his newsletters as "despicable"). But the point that she's making is important, if not too subtle for the with-us-or-against-us ethos that dominates the protracted presidential campaign: even though I don't support him for President, Ron Paul is the only major candidate from either party advocating crucial views on vital issues that need to be heard, and so his candidacy generates important benefits.

There are, as I indicated, all sorts of legitimate reasons for progressives to oppose Ron Paul's candidacy on the whole. But if your only posture in the 2012 election is to demand lockstep marching behind Barack Obama and unqualified scorn for every other single candidate, then you are contributing to the continuation of these policies that liberalism has long claimed to detest, and bolstering the exclusion of these questions from mainstream debate.

https://www.salon.com/2011/12/31/progressives_and_the_ron_paul_fallacies/

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
So what exactly is he objecting to when he is talking about the things people were saying about the kids on Twitter that the videos don't show? Were people saying they hit the guy or something? Is this about the fact that we can't be sure literally every single kid there was a racist? Is this about the smirking boy? Glenn seems to agree that there were racists there so what is he going on about? This is so fucking obviously the behavior of stupid right wing kids. Brainwashed, privileged, ignorant whatever I don't really care. We were all kids this age and we either were these people or saw these people. Couple that with the fact that they are right wing fundamentalist Catholics and it's pretty fucking obvious what happened here. You KNOW what this all is. These kids are in trouble now and they are going to try and defend what they did with any excuse the can find. I would too if I were that shitty. I just don't get how otherwise intelligent people can fall for this. Or at the very least let themselves be pulled into a different narrative by Fox. If you are so worried about Twitter Mobs and mistakes due to selective editing or something else that involves racism don't go on Fox News. I understand the platform is big, but this sort of topic isn't going to work there.

EDIT: That being said the Intercept is still fantastic. I haven't seen a single prominent person who works there or who has been friendly with Glenn agree with him here so I would be curious to see them challenge him. Is this him being ultra defensive due to so many liberals going crazy with bad Russia conspiracy takes and all the pro imperialist shit of the past...well forever? I think Glenn may have received the same brain worms they have.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, you couldn't stomach watching more than 5 seconds of the video because of this kid but you know everything about said incident? Hmmmm

I know from experience what it's like to be a smugly superior white boy, and I know that smirk when I see it. Explain to me how I misread this incident.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
damn son, sounds like there's some actual nuance there

lol, reading makes my head hurt. better to just believe whatever Joan Walsh tweets.

it's funny how we're going through the exact same shit with Tulsi Gabbard now. if you're opposed by the DC establishment, then every deviation from progressive orthodoxy is a disqualifying sin. if you're supported by the DC establishment, then anyone pointing out glaring deviations from progressive orthodoxy is literally a jewish (well, at least one jew) conspiracy to help Trump win reelection.

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
On Reddit there are a lot of users that are posting a one hour (or longer) video and saying that if you watch it you will see that the Native American protestor approached the MAGA teens and began beating his drum. These Reddit users are also claiming that the people in the video shouting slurs are Black Israelites.

So there appears to be three groups:

1) The Pro-Life rally people, which includes the MAGA teens.

2) The Native American man, who was part of a coinciding Native American event.

3) Black Israelites.

I haven't watched the video.

Am I correct so far in identifying the three main parties that were there?
You are correct and it became one big toxic cocktail.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Racist Homophobic Black Israelite
Anti-Women's Choice MAGA hat teens
Native American guy, who may or may not be a vietnam vet, that says he was walking towards to the landmark to finish his prayer was surrounded even though later video shows he purposefully walked up to the kids face and started beating his drum.
Early news reports that weren't 100% accurate.
Twitter account that spread short of the incident that went viral was removed by Twitter, assumably because it was a Russian troll account.
Internet posters that say they want to break a kid's jaw for a face he was making

It's a controversy stew.

CluelessGiantAmericantoad-size_restricted.gif

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The point is simple: being related to, married to, having kids that are or friends with minorities does not make you anti-racist.

Hell, same with being anti-imperialist, though it really helps.

but the other poster's reasoning for labeling him racist was specious in the first place. he and The Intercept do more to shine a light on domestic structural racism and the racism of american empire than all of this forum put together

i just watched the clip and didn't really see anything egregious

good on you, most people didn't bother

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Aside from this being totally absurd, can you point to one conservative on staff at the intercept?

as far as i'm concerned, no one working there can be considered apart of a traditional conservative mindset as we'd normally understand it. You cant put out the kinds of articles they do and be a hack like that. But whether certain individuals believe in progressivism or social sentiments in the same way i do, or advocate for it in a well thought out manner is another story entirely.

I don't believe Jimmy dore is a conservative, he's a leftist. Do i think he's a smart guy or someone who people should look to for political or social advice? Not at all, despite agreeing with him on certain issues.

I agree with Glenn greenwald on quite a few issues and like his journalism, do i think that makes him my stripe? Well...

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
Laura Ingraham has minority children as well. I mean, obviously, she's not racist!
There was a dude at the old place who was Mexican and would make subtle racist comments about black people in every thread about race/racism. Turns out he was married to a black woman.
Just a few weeks ago we found out that one of the proud boys is married to a black woman.

You would have to be an idiot to think having a multi-racial family is an inoculation against racism.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
I think this is a case of the right message for the wrong set of events and he's clearly being used as a pawn for this conservative white wash job.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
We really doing the Strum Thurmond defense?

Milo Y would be a more appropriate comparison for the point you're trying to make.

Anyway Laura Ingraham is a hardcore white nationalist and it speaks volumes that he chose to go on her show no matter how much yall are gonna whine about how Maddow or whomever never invites him on. Not going on a white nationalist's show is literally always an option!

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
...by only seeing 5 seconds of it?

It's not a subtle moment. That's not acceptable behavior regardless of the context. Do you think that kid would have shoved his face in the grill of a six-foot-tall white man leading the protest? I doubt it.

But yes, it's very possible to misconstrue a moment based on such a short clip, in which case it should be easy for you to prove I'm way off-base in my assumption.

What do *you* think happened? Take your time.