• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
If you are interested in a Gran Turismo Sport or Forza 7 alternative, SMS have finally released a playable demo on both of the consoles. It's a 4.7GB download.

EDIT: A demo is also now available on Steam.

Demo's description:
"Discover the world's most authentic racing simulator and the Ferrari 488 GT3, Lamborghini Huracan, and Formula Renault at the Red Bull Ring in the official Project CARS 2 Demo. Experience true-to-life handling, varying rendered seasons and weather, fully dynamic day-to-night transitions, 180+ cars, and 140 revolutionary "living" tracks across 60 locations that await you in Project CARS 2."

So strange for SMS to release a demo a full 2 months after the game's release.

Last edited:

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I'll actually take advantage of this because the handling in the first didn't mesh with me but I want to give this one a try.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should have made the demo for the release day. Putting all the bugs and problems aside, I think a lot of people weren't sure if there's enough of new stuff to justify moving on from pCARS 1 (and if it's finally playable on a controller without tweaking any settings).

OP
OP
FriskyCanuck

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I'll post my controller settings I use for the game, hopefully it helps out if some people aren't okay with the default.

H1FX0bs.png

9ouIdDp.png

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
This is how you do it...4 GB demo,not the whole 50 GB for a trial of one level/chapter of a game(looking at you Wolfenstein II) ;P

Thanks for the heads up,downloading to my X now... ;P
Oh that is cool. I've been wanting see what the series is about myself so I think I'll give it a dl on my Xbox when I get off work.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Might download it but that controller setting screen is already making me not want to, GTS doesn't require that shite, it plays like a dream.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good.

It was pretty stupid to release the game without a demo while launching against Forza and Gran Turismo.

Baffling really.
Trying to court some sales I'd imagine, considering how it (apparently) bombed.

There is a lot to like it the game, but there is also a lot not to like, and the developers attitudes always rubs me up the wrong way.

OP
OP
FriskyCanuck

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Might download it but that controller setting screen is already making me not want to, GTS doesn't require that shite, it plays like a dream.
Don't be too intimidated, most of those settings are the default. I mostly just change depending on how fast I want the wheel to turn in relation to the analogue stick. All the parameters have a box explaining what exactly the numbers mean.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the double post, but I thought that it was interesting enough, I don't think I've seen it before.

Apparently the demo is in a much better state than the current retail version.

Performance, sound, ,graphical quality and antialiasing default controls, handling

Sounds have been
Yes, they've been extensively reworked and tweaked everywhere.

Now, this means that the demo is, seemingly, in a much better state than the full game, and if you brought the full game now you wouldn't experiance the same game?

A patch will be coming too bring the full game up to the same level, but is this a bit disingenuous?

I asked the question on the forum, and Ian Bell replied.

It would be if the patch wasn't 'imminent' yes. But it is so it's not. It would also be if the full game wasn't rating solidly in the mid 80's.

Last edited:

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Anyone know what happened to VR support? It was promised for the original but never came...I was hoping to get this to have more racing games to play in PSVR...

SteelOak

Oct 28, 2017
Is this game playable with a controller? I don't have time to set up wheel but would like to check it out.

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the double post, but I thought that it was interesting enough, I don't think I've seen it before.

Apparently the demo is in a much better state than the current retail version.

Sounds have been

Now, this means that the demo is, seemingly, in a much better state than the full game, and if you brought the full game now you wouldn't experiance the same game?

A patch will be coming too bring the full game up to the same level, but is this a bit disingenuous?

I asked the question on the forum, and Ian Bell replied.

What a tool, just say "Yes, but a patch is on the way" and drop the attitude. He's always been like that hasn't he?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the heads up, definitely gonna download this on my Pro.

Also, weird that a demo is in a better technical state than the retail release game. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Isn't Project cars supposed to downsample from 1440p when playing on a 1080p display on Pro?
Just dowloaded the demo and it doesn't really look like it's higher than 1080p to my eyes..

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Got done with the demo. I enjoyed the live track 3,0 thingy/weather and it seems like there's some real passion for cars that comes through the menu and option choices. Doesn't look super great on my regular old Xbox and there's a lot of tearing but this might be something to pick up down the road. Thumbs up for letting me try it and not kill my bandwidth.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Tried it on the Pro. Looks really bad, runs sketchy, gamepad controls are ass....

I feel like this isn't a good showing.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I'll try this tomorrow, will buy it if it turns out good. The negativity behind PC1 handling on a controller really turned me off.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just like the first game, the default controller settings are insanely bad. Like holy shit how can you fuck this up twice. Coming from GT it's insane how bad this game controls on a controller.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Tried this on XB1X and yeaaah..... it feels... not right and it's sad how inconsistent the visuals and presentation are :(

Forza 7 it is