• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Well hope they can actually make a difference, but it's hard to think that people haven't already picked their side yet.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Flag is good too:

I'm still not entirely sure what the point of the Lincoln project is (secede the election to a democrat this year so they can try to salvage the party and do better in 2024?), but I can't deny their ads are excellent. The Conway's home life must be a doozy.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
All the ads have to do is split a few percentage of Republican away from the president and races that are tight -- Ohio, Iowa, Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, etc -- if half of those can split for Biden by a point or two, then Trump loses, and if the other states that are looking good... Arizona, Michigan, Pennsylvana, Wisconsin, then it becomes an insurmountable blowout.

Another group, Republican Voters Against Trump started launching a handful of similar ads, as well. Some of them have been fire.

One other benefit of these is what the Daily Beast reported today. The Trump campaign just made a $400,000 ad buy in Washington DC. Washington DC has 3 electoral college votes. Nearby Virginia and Maryland are going to be easily carried by Biden. DC itself is going to vote like 90% or more for Biden. The ad buy makes no sense .....

except...

It's a counter to the few thousand dollars that Lincoln Project spent running ads in one zip code, 20006, which has a tiny number of permanent residents.... But one particular resident, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. Lincoln Project ran that "Mourning in America" ad at 10PM in zip code 20006, one one station, Fox News, during the HAnnity and Carlson hours. One American saw it, Donald Trump, and immediately took to twitter to rage tweet about it and as soon as he did, the video got tens of millions of views on YouTube.

SO now, Brad Parscale and Jared Kushner are spending half a mil running Trump ads in DC just so that Donald Trump thinks they're countering Lincoln project ads. It's so hilarious. There's nothing tactical behind it.

www.thedailybeast.com

Trump Camp Runs Ads on D.C. Cable to Ease the Boss’ Anxieties and Buck Up Congressional GOPers

The president has been worried about his standing electorally. So his team gave him some content to watch on his favorite cable networks.

But two knowledgeable sources—one a Trump campaign adviser, the other an individual close to the president—said the D.C.-area ads had another purpose as well: to put the president himself at ease.

In recent weeks, Trump has grown visibly distraught at his prospects for re-election, with recent polling showing his standing in the race declining dramatically in the wake of a sustained coronavirus outbreak and resulting recession, and as demonstrators flood major cities to protest the police killing of an unarmed black man in Minneapolis last month. Things have gotten so bad that after CNN came out with a survey on Monday showing Trump trailing Biden by 14 points, Trump's campaign's pollster crafted a memo—subsequently posted to the president's Twitter account—accusing presidential pollsters of a deliberate effort to "counter the enthusiasm of Trump voters."

*edit*

Thanks to Eoin for correcting me about EC votes and Biden's polling in DC! My post originally said 0 EC votes and a 60% cakewalk for Biden. DC has 3 EC votes and Democrats typically win with close to 90% of DC votes.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Flag is good too:

I'm still not entirely sure what the point of the Lincoln project is (succeed the election to a democrat this year so they can try to salvage the party and do better in 2024?), but I can't deny their ads are excellent. The Conway's home life must be a doozy.
They exist entirely to troll and piss off Trump.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
They're all kinda cheesy but the Mattis one was my favorite.
I disagree. I thought those commercials were really effective.

The Dems needs to hire some of these people to help with their message to Americans.

Lincoln Project consists of former and pissed-off current Republicans. This kind of "cheese" is what you need to get people like Republicans on board. The emotional response from ads like this is what helps stir them to action. Fox News has known this since its inception.

Fight fire with fire.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. I thought those commercials were really effective.

The Dems needs to hire some of these people to help with their message to Americans.
Oh I agree in that they'll be effective, but I think the movie trailer music and dun-dun sfx (especially in the Steps one) were a bit cornball. Again, it'll be effective and I'm happy to have these commercials out there - just not my personal taste.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
All the ads have to do is split a few percentage of Republican away from the president and races that are tight -- Ohio, Iowa, Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, etc -- if half of those can split for Biden by a point or two, then Trump loses, and if the other states that are looking good... Arizona, Michigan, Pennsylvana, Wisconsin, then it becomes an insurmountable blowout.

Another group, Republican Voters Against Trump started launching a handful of similar ads, as well. Some of them have been fire.

One other benefit of these is what the Daily Beast reported today. The Trump campaign just made a $400,000 ad buy in Washington DC. Washington DC does not have any electoral college votes. Nearby Virginia and Maryland are going to be easily carried by Biden. DC itself is going to vote like 60% or more for Biden. The ad buy makes no sense .....

except...

It's a counter to the few thousand dollars that Lincoln Project spent running ads in one zip code, 20006, which has a tiny number of permanent residents.... But one particular resident, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. Lincoln Project ran that "Mourning in America" ad at 10PM in zip code 20006, one one station, Fox News, during the HAnnity and Carlson hours. One American saw it, Donald Trump, and immediately took to twitter to rage tweet about it and as soon as he did, the video got tens of millions of views on YouTube.

SO now, Brad Parscale and Jared Kushner are spending half a mil running Trump ads in DC just so that Donald Trump thinks they're countering Lincoln project ads. It's so hilarious. There's nothing tactical behind it.

www.thedailybeast.com

Trump Camp Runs Ads on D.C. Cable to Ease the Boss’ Anxieties and Buck Up Congressional GOPers

The president has been worried about his standing electorally. So his team gave him some content to watch on his favorite cable networks.
this is amazing.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017

www.thedailybeast.com

This is the kind of targeted advertising I can get behind.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Lincoln Project consists of former and pissed-off current Republicans. This kind of "cheese" is what you need to get people like Republicans on board. The emotional response from ads like this is what helps stir them to action. Fox News has known this since its inception.

Fight fire with fire.
I know. Thats why I said the Dems need to hire these people to help get their messaging across. In theory heath care for all and affordable education are the easiest things to sell and yet Dems are not that great at explaining or selling it to the masses.

Oh I agree in that they'll be effective, but I think the movie trailer music and dun-dun sfx (especially in the Steps one) were a bit cornball. Again, it'll be effective and I'm happy to have these commercials out there - just not my personal taste.
Politics is inherently cornball. For me I thought they were really well done.

Deleted member 58401

Banned
Jul 7, 2019

One other benefit of these is what the Daily Beast reported today. The Trump campaign just made a $400,000 ad buy in Washington DC. Washington DC does not have any electoral college votes. Nearby Virginia and Maryland are going to be easily carried by Biden. DC itself is going to vote like 60% or more for Biden. The ad buy makes no sense .....

except...

www.thedailybeast.com

I love this so much.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017

except...

I can appreciate the precision of a move like this.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Flag is good too:

I'm still not entirely sure what the point of the Lincoln project is (succeed the election to a democrat this year so they can try to salvage the party and do better in 2024?), but I can't deny their ads are excellent. The Conway's home life must be a doozy.

I like this one.

They're definitely thinking to 2024. They believe Trump's is a losing strategy so they are doing what they can to salvage the GOP name. They obviously also believe Trump is a true threat to our democracy as well or they would t even be doing that.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA

except...

www.thedailybeast.com

Now this is 4D chess I can get behind lmao

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I know. Thats why I said the Dems need to hire these people to help get their messaging across. In theory heath care for all and affordable education are the easiest things to sell and yet Dems are not that great at explaining or selling it to the masses.

Politics is inherently cornball. For me I thought they were really well done.

Agreed. Politics is cornball and Republicans do work by giving their people the cheesiest meatiest juiciest shit they can find. Dems need to start doing this kind of shit too.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I can't really tell what the steps one is asking me to do other than the fact that they used the Daniel Day-Lewis Lincoln which I'm happy about.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
It's going to feel weird to go back to hating Rick Wilson after Trump is out of the picture.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC does not have any electoral college votes. Nearby Virginia and Maryland are going to be easily carried by Biden. DC itself is going to vote like 60% or more for Biden.
DC has 3 electoral college votes.

Also the only way that the Biden vote in DC would be as low as 60% would be if his campaign imploded nationally, leaving him only winning in DC. In any kind of normal circumstance, it's going to be >90% Biden.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to do effective ads like these that promote issues, as opposed to tear down issues and opponents. Republicans have long run super effective ads against something like Obamacare, because they can make the message into a boogeyman, and it's really hard to reach moderate voters to convince them to adopt something new using the same tactic.

Republicans have been advertising effectively to boomers, gen X, and moderate suburban Americans for decades. Democrats have done it effectively in the past, but it's always been from that "safe, be weary of the outsider" perspective, like Lyndon Johnson's anti-Goldwater ad with the nuclear bomb going off, asking... "Do you want *this guy* to have his finger on the button?"

It's easy to make ads warning you incrementalists against something. It's difficult to make an ad convincing incrementalists to take a step into the unknown. These ads work because they're using Republican advertising strategies over the last 10, 20 years, to try to attract incrementalists. It also helps that Trump is a clear and present danger to the constitution, that many moderates have been shaking their heads over for the last four years.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017

except...

www.thedailybeast.com

That is absolutely grandmaster level trolling and I approve.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
DC has 3 electoral college votes.

Also the only way that the Biden vote in DC would be as low as 60% would be if his campaign imploded nationally, leaving him only winning in DC. In any kind of normal circumstance, it's going to be >90% Biden.

Oh whoops, my bad. I thought it was a landslide for Democrats but then Googled it to check and thought I saw some 60% number for 2016. My overall point still stands, the ad buy isn't to try to convince anybody to vote for Donald Trump, it's exclusively to ease Donald Trump's mind.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These dudes should be cutting trailers for that crappy Tom Clancy Amazon show.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
Never Trump Republicans aren't your friends.

That said, I have no problems watching them fight each other while we sit back and gain from it.

The ads are good.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Flag is good too:

I'm still not entirely sure what the point of the Lincoln project is (secede the election to a democrat this year so they can try to salvage the party and do better in 2024?), but I can't deny their ads are excellent. The Conway's home life must be a doozy.

Pretty much. They'd rather lose in 2020 and try to salvage something for the future.

That being said, I don't know how much they can salvage even if they tried.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
And yeah, people are right. The NeverTrumpers who make up the Lincoln Project, the Bulwark, Republican Voters Against Trump, and so on, are not like... pursuing progressive policy, allies in the cause, or something. They see Trump as an existential threat to America and they're desperately trying to preserve the Republican party, which they (IMO, correctly) think will not exist as a competitive party if Trump gets another term OR the landscape will be so inexorably changed that the concept of "two healthy political parties" might be anathema to American politics in another 4 years. When the NeverTrumpers broke off from the GOP zeitgeist in 2016, prior to the election, they did so as a warning: Nominate this guy and there might not be a GOP left, you might get some pyrric victories -- a tax cut, judges -- but the long term damage will be worse. They might be naive about this point (if Trump gets 4 more years, I'm not sure what America looks like in 2024 to the point where having discrete political parties even matters for a generation), but I think they're right about Trump's threat to the constitution.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
My overall point still stands, the ad buy isn't to try to convince anybody to vote for Donald Trump, it's exclusively to ease Donald Trump's mind.
Oh yeah, no doubt that those ads are purely to shut Trump up.

They're also as good as official confirmation that Trump's own campaign team believes Trump to be such an imbecile that spending nearly half a million dollars on a Potemkin ad campaign is easier than explaining ad targeting (a concept a young child would grasp pretty quickly) to Trump.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

One other benefit of these is what the Daily Beast reported today. The Trump campaign just made a $400,000 ad buy in Washington DC. Washington DC has 3 electoral college votes. Nearby Virginia and Maryland are going to be easily carried by Biden. DC itself is going to vote like 90% or more for Biden. The ad buy makes no sense .....

except...

www.thedailybeast.com

*edit*

Thanks to Eoin for correcting me about EC votes and Biden's polling in DC! My post originally said 0 EC votes and a 60% cakewalk for Biden. DC has 3 EC votes and Democrats typically win with close to 90% of DC votes.

That's hilarious and paid off already.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well hope they can actually make a difference, but it's hard to think that people haven't already picked their side yet.
You'd be surprised.

Also, I should take this moment to say that you never know which straw breaks the camel's back. Don't give up on people.

I'm walking proof of that. Raised a devout Muslim-fearing, gay-bashing, Bible-thumping Republican who was taught by parents, school, radio, and news that Obama was the devil.

I went outside my bubble, got exposed to other perspectives, and I'm never going back.

That same family who raised me has grown from voting for "God's man" Trump to viewing him as an idiot but necessary evil to being ashamed of him to telling me they plan to abstain from voting this year (they aren't quite at the "vote liberal" stage, but NOT voting is still insane coming from them).

There are people who saw Trump teargas peaceful protesters at a church who felt it in their gut and soul, people who supported him. There are supporters of his who voted for him last time because he was the "lesser evil" compared to Hillary who have now spent 3 1/2 years watching him separate families, lock up children, botch a pandemic, guide us into a recession, and lose utter control of the nation's security as protests swell.

DO NOT GIVE UP. Confront bigotry and lies. You won't win over 100% of Trump voters, but even 5% being swayed makes the whole difference.

Again, I'm proof that even the most red Republican can go blue.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
We'll hear a lot of this from the GOP in the coming months. Trying to squeeze out some more votes. Then, come Nove
You'd be surprised.

Also, I should take this moment to say that you never know which straw breaks the camel's back. Don't give up on people.

I'm walking proof of that. Raised a devout Muslim-fearing, gay-bashing, Bible-thumping Republican who was taught by parents, school, radio, and news that Obama was the devil.

I went outside my bubble, got exposed to other perspectives, and I'm never going back.

That same family who raised me has grown from voting for "God's man" Trump to viewing him as an idiot but necessary evil to being ashamed of him to telling me they plan to abstain from voting this year (they aren't quite at the "vote liberal" stage, but NOT voting is still insane coming from them).

There are people who saw Trump teargas peaceful protesters at a church who felt it in their gut and soul, people who supported him. There are supporters of his who voted for him last time because he was the "lesser evil" compared to Hillary who have now spent 3 1/2 years watching him separate families, lock up children, botch a pandemic, guide us into a recession, and lose utter control of the nation's security as protests swell.

DO NOT GIVE UP. Confront bigotry and lies. You won't win over 100% of Trump voters, but even 5% being swayed makes the whole difference.

Again, I'm proof that even the most red Republican can go blue.
Yep, I was much the same as you. Keep plugging away and people will start to see the truth about their party and beliefs.

tshirtblue

Oct 27, 2017
Love what George Conway and the Lincoln Project are doing. I donated. Wish Bloomberg would keep doing ads like he was doing, too.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Most people have. Much more so this year than in the past. But there is a frustratingly high number of people who somehow remain undecided (and generally pride themselves on it because they think it makes them sound smart).

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

except...

www.thedailybeast.com

*edit*

Oh man, I need more of this shit

Status
Not open for further replies.