• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Can this game turn out be good?

• Yes.

Votes: 14 12.3%
  • No.

Votes: 61 53.5%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 39 34.2%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
I don't hate what I'm seeing but the garish UI and OTT flashy effects look like shit and the masterminds voice is so grating I could see replaying levels being super annoying.

NemesisTheory

One Winged Slayer
Jun 15, 2019
Netherlands
I was pretty big on the idea when it was shown at TGS, but after seeing this it's almost impossible to not see that this still needs a ton of work.

Balance seems to be the biggest issue. Survivors knocking out the Tyrant with a sledgehammer? I mean sure, it's the melee player but the Tyrant is the masterminds' nuclear solution on a big timer. Kill options seem very limited. At one point he spawned and buffed a Cerberus dog and it got brushed aside so bad. Even when the Mastermind player did managed to steal a kill, the penalty for it seems to be around half a minute taken from the timer. And seconds later the survivors get half a minute back for doing an objective or whatever. A survivors mode ala TLoU where there are no respawns seems like a better idea for this game rather than infinite (and quick!) respawns. You'd play it a lot more cautiously too, much like how you would play a RE game.

Mastermind seems, at least from this, unreasonably difficult to win as. Granted, he was constantly placing enemies straight ahead of the survivors who could just knock them out when they spawned in. This game could use a line-of-sight approach to spawns because gameplay and balancing reasons aside, it just looks goofy seeing someone just materialize infront of you.

I'm absolutely sure this game has a ton of potential (random map layout is a must, imo, otherwise it must become too easy for survivor players to know where items are and can basically speedrun levels. You don't want this in a pvp game) but right now it looks really rough.

Maybe I'll get selected for that closed beta next week, then I'll get to check out the balancing first hand.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Why is it that original associated RE games always opts for the most average looking characters ever? It's like there's almost an aversion from making it "like Resident Evil" because it isn't "cool" or something.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I think this looks great! Do we know if emails have gone out yet for the upcoming demo sessions?
Why is it that original associated RE games always opts for the most average looking characters ever? It's like there's almost an aversion from making it "like Resident Evil" because it isn't "cool" or something.

Isn't it obvious? Because they're supposed to be average people from an average small town. The Outbreak games did this as well. Even at the start of RE2 remake Leon is a dude in a jacket and jeans.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
SOMETIMES IT'S EASIER TO DO THINGS YOURSELF

SOMETIMES IT'S EASIER TO

Yeah that won't get old. And that UI makes me dislike everything about this.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The idea of the Mastermind possessing a zombie with a key item and hiding from the survivors is pretty fun.

The Tyrant gameplay looks solid. He's walks quickly, and the animation for him entering and exiting doorways seems like a good way of giving survivors a mobility advantage without having to make the Tyrant slow and lumbering.

Everything else looks abysmal, and the narration is just annoying.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

SOMETIMES IT'S EASIER TO

Yeah that won't get old. And that UI makes me dislike everything about this.

yeah I get that they want to give the survivors some idea of what the mastermind is doing but his narration was easily my biggest problem with that video. Honestly he should be silent as I don't think the Survivors should know what he'sdoing.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
yeah I get that they want to give the survivors some idea of what the mastermind is doing but his narration was easily my biggest problem with that video. Honestly he should be silent as I don't think the Survivors should know what he'sdoing.

I think they implied, or outright stated, that there would be various masterminds. It could be to keep you aware of a particular mastermind's toolset, but more cynically I would guess it's a way to make mastermind customization worthwhile. 'Buy the Albert Wesker mastermind pack', or something like that.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It still looks super rough but I'm interested in playing it myself. Hopefully it's one of those games that looks bad but plays really well.

Part of me still thinks this is related to RE3 remake but the amount of asset reuse from 2 is throwing me off.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I see the potential fun in this, but.. I don't know :/ ... janky performance aside this looks like a big clusterfuck at times.
Also the mastermind couldn't be more annoying.

tetopeto

Oct 30, 2017
SP / Brazil
source.gif

FullMetalTech

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, New York
They need a new announcer. The French accent doesn't really fit the narrative. They should of gotten a creepier voice or something. Feels like I'm ordering food at a fancy restaurant.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Announcer is completely ruining the game. It didn't need one, tbh. Silent Mastermind is the way to go. Also, Mastermind should've been Wesker.

Imagine enemies talking before spawning in every other game. Yeesh.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Looks awful. So one player puts ineffectual traps and then drags a slow ass zombie into a hallway and waits to then control a tyrant as it misses everything. Fantastique, oui?

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It still looks super rough but I'm interested in playing it myself. Hopefully it's one of those games that looks bad but plays really well.

Part of me still thinks this is related to RE3 remake but the amount of asset reuse from 2 is throwing me off.

It seems like a multiplayer mode for RE2make that spun off into its own game, which would make sense. That's how Fallout 76 came about for instance.

A low cost multiplayer spin-off would make sense as part of the bargain for Capcom funding a AAA single-player game that can't really be monetized post-release. I wouldn't be surprised if this game's existence is part of the reason why RE2make exists.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
This is horrible. It's like they used a horror game's movement and shooting (RE2) on an action game!!

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
They never fucking learn do they? A hard pass. This will bomb hard again. Waste of resources and waste of time. They should cancel it

Last edited:

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Biggest issue I'm seeing outside of technical and UI problems is that the environments are seemingly still designed for a single player to run around. Feels cramped for 4 players trying to work as a team in.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great, now every time I see Mr. X I'll think he has a French accent.

Thanks Capcom.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder when Capcom will realize that multiplayer twitch bait is fundamentally incompatible with what Resident Evil is supposed to be. It doesn't work. Don't bring up Outbreak, they're mediocre games at best.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
The mastermind playing this was so bad. Why would you spawn enemies right on top of the players knowing that they can blast them while they go through a long spawn animation?

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Don't these type of games secretly blow up on the PC but no one realises it until later? Does not look as bad as anything that came before it in that genre at least. Feels like something that people could be into once they get their hands on it and play it for a bit.

rein

Apr 16, 2018
I felt nothing watching that honestly. I'll wait for reviews but i'm probably going to skip this one.

nofuckinidea

Oct 25, 2017
This video is hard to watch, I just can't concentrate on what's going on...too busy. But it doesn't look very promising tbh

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
The game itself looks alright. Not something that excites me, but something I could definitely see myself playing with a few friends. The Mastermind looks fun and I imagine a really good Mastermind would be a blast to play against. The person in the video playing that role didn't seem too hot at it but I'd like to try my hand at it, or get my ass whooped by someone who's mint at it.

I'd be so excited if this was Outbreak 3. But for now it just looks okay, keeping an eye on it. Will invest if I know others who will too but otherwise, eh.