• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Update - Gameplay and new info out now. Here's the thread for it.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/pr...ow-as-darkborn-17-minutes-of-gameplay.109115/

Update - Seems like tomorrow is the day.

Tomorrow. Something will happen. #projectwight.

This is not April fools.

https://twitter.com/locust9/status/1112738364015476741

PMa0aZW.png

---

Update - Something coming next week? https://twitter.com/locust9/status/1109336548267515904
CBBww8t.png

Update - More impressions here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/pr...sions-are-glowing.102127/page-2#post-19108113

____

There have been some tweets in the past couple months from the developers of Project Wight offering new teases at the game along with comments from folk who've been given a recent sneak peak of it. Since we don't have a thread about it here I figured it was worth making something to mention these in.

First, a refresher on the game…

Announced back on November 1st, 2016 at the Unite 16' keynote, Project Wight is a game created by The Outsiders, a studio founded by David Goldfarb (Lead Designer on Battlefield 3 and Game Director on Payday 2) and published by Private Division (Take-Two Interactive).

While we still only know the game by its codename there has been a decent amount of information given in articles and in the commentary for the above demo.

https://connect.unity.com/p/articles-project-wight-unveiled

Importantly, Project Wight as a concept existed long-before The Outsiders opened its doors. For many years, while studio COO Goldfarb honed his games making craft in the triple-A space, he pondered an idea he couldn't shake. What if there were an RPG where the protagonist wasn't the focus of the game? It was an idea inspired by his reading of John Gardner's 1971 fantasy novel Grendel, which told part of the Beowulf story from the point of view of its antagonist.

Fast forward some two decades, and Goldfarb is shaping an RPG that, in his own words, is about "the person on the other side of your sword". It's a fitting concept for a studio that takes some pride in its own outsider status; the notion that the interesting stories aren't always told from the hero's perspective.

"I'd been thinking about this as a concept for maybe 20 years," Goldfarb muses. "I had this sense that games have this ability to valorize a certain viewpoint; that being the hero's viewpoint. And even when a game is not about the hero, it's the anti hero, and that is still really the hero. That had always bothered me, because I had never sympathized with the hero at all. It bothered me because it felt like there was value in exploring what it would be like to be an 'other'."

Recently we've been given more art/screens for the game…

qdADQ9I.png

HPAUBEA.png

PEEyVAs.png

q5ieQ76.png

But it's the impressions from folk in the industry that are the most exciting to me.

Impressed by the sneak peek I got at The Outsiders' codename 'Project Wight' earlier. A Dishonored-like that has you playing a minor critter-like monster in a 'gritty RPG world' turns out to be terrifying (but growing into the big boss monster makes for satisfying revenge)

So I got to see a thing from @locust9's @MonsteryGames studio. And believe the hype. They are doing things with @unity3d that are unholy. How a team this small can squeeze this much juice out of that engine is a fucking marvel. Can't wait to play.

Had a sneak peek at this & I wanna join the chorus saying it looks to be something special. Great feeling movement & traversal, cool mood/atmosphere, & unique gameplay. Not even sure how to classify it - not an FPS, more of a first-person-flesh-ripper. Can't wait to see more.

*Platforms are TBA at the moment.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Wooooow, been a while since I saw this, had completely forgotten about it until now.

Putting on radar again. :))

Mr. Tibbs

Oct 27, 2017
Man, all the Private Division games seem really exciting. Can't wait to see this one in action.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
This looks very up my alley, but I hope it's not gut wrenchingly sad. Whether it's a monster, a human, or an animal, I just don't have the emotional constitution to deal with things where kids die and what not. I stopped Ass Origins for three months because of a scene in which a child dies, so....yeah. Anyway, this looks great.

predalien27

Nov 18, 2017
I've been wondering what happened to this. I've always liked the AVP games with an Alien campaign, and lately have been wanting something to scratch that itch. This looks like it will do that and more!

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
the footage gives me motion sickness and I don't get that like ever.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wondering what happened to this. I've always liked the AVP games with an Alien campaign, and lately have been wanting something to scratch that itch. This looks like it will do that and more!

I was my first thought as well back when the video launched. Having stages in a lifecycle drive the gameplay style is such a great move and I loved it in AvP2.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
That is some serious work in Unity. Damn that looked good. Hopefully the premise lives up to the potential and it's not just fetch quests from a monster POV

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Wait, this is Unity? I'm not one of those people that thinks Unity is a trash engine, but this is pushing it well beyond what I expected the engine to be capable of.

This is a cool premise for a game.

Oct 25, 2017
Private Division is doing wonders publishing these games (although i'm not a fan of the Desilets one)

Can't wait to see more of the Halo guy project too.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Yet another game with a bland wight lead.

(This looks really rather intriguing, can't wait to find more)

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
There's also this Eurogamer article from 2016 that has some good quotes from David Goldfarb.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...orld-viking-rpg-where-you-play-as-the-monster

"It's like, if you were a tiger and you saw all the other tigers becoming extinct: what would you do? I don't want to talk about our levers or the setup of the world, but, certainly for me, it's about allowing people to express some of the rage and sadness about the condition of the world right now - that's part of what this game is.

"If you don't look at the word through the lens of humanity you'd see a lot of terrible things," Goldfarb concludes. "As a species we're bad at looking at the world any other way. There's value imaginatively and ethically of imagining the world [through some other lens] and thinking 'wow, isn't this f***ed up?' Even if it's just an imaginative exercise I think it's wonderful to inhabit."

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Yet another game with a bland wight lead.
You got an honest chuckle out of me.

I have been following this since the beginning and am very excited for it - I think these devs have a good understanding of what they are doing and putting their entire weight behind it. A passion project for sure! David is also a super nice guy on social media if you ever have questions!

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I have been following this since the beginning and am very excited for it - I think these devs have a good understanding of what they are doing and putting their entire weight behind it. A passion project for sure! David is also a super nice guy on social media if you ever have questions!

Yeah, seems like Private Division did a smart thing signing Project Wight so early. I feel that this could be something really special.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Was really interested in this from the concept trailer years ago. Glad it's still going and turning out promising.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually remember the announcement of this and find the premise intriguing. That said, this game reminds me of the film Wildling. I highly recommend it, btw.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Remember when this got announced, glad it's coming along great! Any information on a potential release date?

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Have the devs given any idea as to when footage will be made public? It's been a while since I've seen a developer allow press to give impressions but not release any accompanying info or footage, definitely not my preferred way of receiving news about a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.