Status
Not open for further replies.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I'm creating this thread in the hope of syphoning off people who seriously want a discussion about my concerns without further thread derailment from the Endgame OT2 thread. I'll link to this thread and then anybody who is still interested in arguing can come to this one and that will be that.

Don't read any further if you want to avoid knowledge of MCU events so far. Don't even think of going on unless you have watched Endgame and the first Iron Man film. You can sort of assume that, as this is largely a philosophical discussion, there may be references to key plot points in media that you have not yet consumed. Please take this as a hint to educate yourself more fully. I don't have time to wait for you to catch up with To Kill a Mockingbird or Catcher in the Rye. Just do your homework.

] I've got a serious concern about child abuse and exploitation, which has led to my expression of what I consider to be mild concern about the scene in which a five-year-old says they want a burger, and a parent figure says they can have as many as they want. These scene is very poignant and is very moving to most fans. But I'm worried about this because of what it says to me, as an experienced parent who has witnessed the growth of childhood obesity over nearly six decades, about the public awareness of obesity.

Obesity is a killer, and modern highly processed foods are the key suspects. WHO has been clear about the dangers of obesity, its epidemiology, and its likely outcome for adult healthy life expectancy. At this stage there is no doubt that poor diet is a killer in developed and developing countries.

For further reading I suggest a remarkably unfictional website, Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiology_of_childhood_obesity

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
This is either bad satire or a take so incredibly awful it should immediately be treated by all - including the person who authored it - as bad satire.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It's really not that deep, a throwaway piece of art most people won't see and those that do will be forgotten in seconds

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
The scene in question uses a comfort food as a shorthand way of showing the bond between two bereaved characters. That's it.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I've got a serious concern about child abuse and exploitation, which has led to my expression of what I consider to be mild concern about the scene in which a five-year-old says they want a burger, and a parent figure says they can have as many as they want. These scene is very poignant and is very moving to most fans. But I'm worried about this because of what it says to me, as an experienced parent who has witnessed the growth of childhood obesity over nearly six decades, about the public awareness of obesity.
in_before_the_lock_by_dantiscus.gif

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of media is like this though. In the Baywatch movie they even make a joke about it where the crew are eating lunch from the beach shack and the chubby recruit is the only one eating a salad. He even says something along the lines of "Really? I'm the only one eating a salad? I thought you needed to be on a really restrictive diet to look like you guys..."

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Happy isn't going to literally feed her hamburgers every meal. It's just a moment of him comforting her because
her father just died and he loved cheeseburgers.
You're reading into it way too much.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
And here I thought I was being weird for not being able to fully enjoy wick 3 due to irl shootings and over the top violence.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Dude you spent like three pages of the Endgame thread trying to keep this nonsense going.... it's a burger.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a parody thread? If not, did OP actually expect a discussion on this topic?

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't remember what was on their plates but there was also a diner scene OP. Kids were in the diner even. How do you feel about them potentially eating a short stack?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
My child is about to eat a cheese bugah, do I:

A. Raise my voice to warn them, thus damaging their psyche for the rest of their life?

B. Don't raise my voice but allow them to eat it, thus damaging their body for the rest of their life?

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When keeping it real gets too real. What an absurd take

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
As a parent, I would offer to spoil the shit out of my kids with whatever helps them get through the loss of one of their parents for a while.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I had to re-read the OP several times to make sure I was understanding correctly, what the hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.