Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I'm just trying to imagine OP securing his pre sale tickets, waiting for a month to see the conclusion of a 21 movie arc, finally get to opening day, sit through 3h of pure fan service and emotional callbacks, and the only thing that he could think of is how upsetting it is that a kid gets promised a couple cheeseburgers. We're witnessing Shakespeare reborn here.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hj6siEb.jpg

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. It's always the right time to discuss an epidemic that's leading to widespread health problems. This is an actual real life issue.
Or explain why you think it's okay to be complacent about our kids getting fat on junk food.
Don't pretend like people taking the piss out of your take don't think this is an epidemic or that people need to be complacent about it. People are taking the piss because you, in your own words, "felt uncomfortable" about a movie scene where a kid says she likes burgers.

Own your shitty takes, don't try and strawman everyone in here.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for uncluttering the OT thread, OP, as well as having such stubborn resolve to be so incapable of taking an L that you gift us with this thread.

Thank you.

I've got a serious concern about water pollution, which has led to my expression of what I consider to be mild concern about the scene in which an anonymous delinquent places Tony Stark's arc reactor on a wreath and sends it floating upstream. This scene is very poignant and is very moving to most fans. But I'm worried about this because of what it says to me, as an experienced conservationist who has witnessed the growth of water pollution over nearly six decades, about the public awareness of water pollution.

This widespread problem of water pollution is jeopardizing our health. Unsafe water kills more people each year than war and all other forms of violence combined. Meanwhile, our drinkable water sources are finite: Less than 1 percent of the earth's freshwater is actually accessible to us. Without action, the challenges will only increase by 2050, when global demand for freshwater is expected to be one-third grearer than it is now.

For further reading I suggest a remarkably unfictional website, Wikipedia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_pollution
lmao

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmmmmm, well the avengers (2012) had that shawarma secret scene right? You'd think that would have increased the popularity of shawarma considering how popular that movie was right?

9mVEouG.png

Guess not

OP
OP
LL_Decitrig

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Just asked you in the official thread but what do you think has a bigger impact on kids? Hours and hours of musclebound fitness freaks or 10 seconds of hamburger chat?

Good point. There are lots of other problems with popular media. This was a problem I happened to raise twice recently. My concern doesn't invalidate the film, which I think is excellent. There are legitimate concerns about all media though, and I don't possess the one true key to legitimate criticism (or, arguably, any such key, but here I am.)

Oct 28, 2017
Well, Thor's mom did tell him to eat a salad and the movie was accused of fat shaming so I guess there's room for outrage on both sides of this lol

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
My man you think you're Cap standing up to the unimaginable army standing in front of you but you're actually that dumb bird who came back to life then immediately got nuked.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good point. There are lots of other problems with popular media. This was a problem I happened to raise twice recently. My concern doesn't invalidate the film, which I think is excellent. There are legitimate concerns about all media though, and I don't possess the one true key to legitimate criticism (or, arguably, any such key, but here I am.)

I disagree with your opinion that the film is excellent. It was boring dreck. I think the problems run a lot deeper than the burger scene.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Also the implication that this has been going on for some time in the OT is why I don't read OTs

I don't have infinite time for you guys, jeez

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or explain why you think it's okay to be complacent about our kids getting fat on junk food.

Well, in-universe:
It's an offer made by Happy Hogan, a close associate of Tony Stark, to give support to a grieving kid in his dad's memorial ceremony; done specifically with Tony's favorite food.

It's his way of saying: "I got your back kid, just like I was always by your dad."

Endgame does this really specific choice because:
It's a movie with several callbacks, Iron Man's favorite food was hamburgers, via the actor portraying him.

It wouldn't be as interesting for the audience if Happy offered to buy her tons of paellas, or toys.

Now Shawarma, that comes outta nowhere in the first Avengers.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody is saying this. If your thread was about this it might have actually garnered discussion. Instead you tried to connect a scene from Avengers to this issue in the most hamfistedly stupid way possible and so yeah, everyone is just going to mock you.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Brah c'mon now. That kid wasn't obese and you have to look at the situation and context surrounding that scene.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
It's a callback to the original Iron Man, and a pretty nice moment between Happy and Tony's kid. You are definitely overthinking it OP.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Is Jack Thompson doing anything? I wanna rip into the first Avengers for promoting playing video games during work hours.

Atilac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe the scene is also a call back to Iron Man when Tony comes back to the US the first thing he wants to eat is a cheese burger.

OP
OP
LL_Decitrig

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Hmmmmmmm, well the avengers (2012) had that shawarma secret scene right? You'd think that would have increased the popularity of shawarma considering how popular that movie was right?

9mVEouG.png

Guess not

That's a very good counter-argument. In the fullness of time it doesn't matter. As a matter of record, I did edit the Wikipedia article about Shawarma to remove references to Avengers, but only because the sourcing was really poor. Attempts to link this obscure reference to Middle Eastern street food (which in turn were derived from a statement by Nicholas Brendan after an audition attended by Joss Whedon in the course of casting for the televised version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer) to some worldwide renaissance of food from the Eastern Mediterranean were not successful.

So yay me! Arguably I single-handedly wiped out a trend towards Middle Eastern fast food. Or maybe I'm just saying we should be more careful about the dietary choices we depict for grieving small children in popular media.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
It's a touching scene with an obvious call back to the first Iron Man. And I don't think he literally meant all the burgers she wanted, he was just saying he'd give her anything she needs and do anything for her.
Why am I even explaining this...

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
im fucking drunk as hell and this thread is making me giggle so much i love you op i will carry your children

Status
Not open for further replies.