Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I lived in Nassau County, and the difference between Republicans in both counties is quite scary. On top of the issues our nation already face with gang violence and illegal immigration, this is another example of the rotten treatment minorities face with law enforcement. I have friends in Suffolk, and many of them have been complaining of the county being dumped with illegal immigrants with limited English fluency, poor education, and low skills for employment that they have to deal with the consequences regarding health care, education, social services, and crime. It is a hotbed of a lot of problems with immigration, and the changing ethnic and racial background of an overwhelmingly Caucasian and wealthy county.

Bramblebutt

Jan 11, 2018
Do we have any indication what El Salvador's position is on this? Do they have the ability to put Henry under effective protective custody?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I lived in Nassau County, and the difference between Republicans in both counties is quite scary. On top of the issues our nation already face with gang violence and illegal immigration, this is another example of the rotten treatment minorities face with law enforcement. I have friends in Suffolk, and many of them have been complaining of the county being dumped with illegal immigrants with limited English fluency, poor education, and low skills for employment that they have to deal with the consequences regarding health care, education, social services, and crime. It is a hotbed of a lot of problems with immigration, and the changing ethnic and racial background of an overwhelmingly Caucasian and wealthy county.
Suffolk County has plenty of poor communities. You have small pockets of nice communities but the real wealth is on the North shore of Nassau and the north and south forks (Hamptons)

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why didn't he just settle into a nice middle class neighborhood? I wonder why. Think for two seconds and read the article more carefully.

Random suburb in random state isn't a nice middle class neighborhood.

Immigrants/Refugees/etc from a country usually end up settling in the same city/same set of cities because it's easier to function day-to-day when your local community speaks the same language/cultural norms/etc. Henry in particular had family in Brentwood which is why he moved there.

His family was there. Blame them.

These are good points, thanks. Sad that he had a chance and got driven back into that shit.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The problem is a number of things, mostly the towns of Brentwood, Centrsl Islip and Hempstead.

I know he didn't have a choice due to shitty family but they should have moved to another town immediately, those towns are just bad news.

if, if , if. it's not so simple to just uproot specially if you are new to the country.

On one hand, he killed someone. He's not a citizen. He's affiliated with a deadly gang. Why keep this dude in the country? Why protect him?
On the other, he's trying to help. But he's already killed someone. Do we look at this from a Rehab perspective or a Punishment perspective? Surely, if he was a documented citizen, this would be a clear rehab scenario, but now do we grant citizenship to this dude? I dunno....

Looking at both, I would be ok if he was deported. But I would also be ok if he wasn't. He gets a nod from me for trying to do the right thing, but doesn't mean he gets to be forgiven for what he already did

Did someone force him into the gang upon his re-entry in the US? Why rejoin the gang in the US? Why didn't he come forward to police sooner? Lots of questions.

It's pretty easy to live in the US without killing someone or joining a gang.
America's about giving people second chances. He blew his second chance. He's no angel.

yes, they did. that's how gangs initiate their members. they take them very young. you don't expect a 12 year old to make right decisions all the time do you?

Tough to read that article without wondering "WTF?!".

He comes here from El Salvador despite being a gang member and tries to turn his life around. It all falls apart when another gang member from his old crew is also relocated to Brentwood.

I'm sorry by why are we bringing MS-13 gang members into the country? I live in Suffolk and went to Brentwood schools before moving to Central Islip and have to hear of murders from this gang often.

So could someone please explain why gang members are being brought into the US and places in my county?

we are not "bringing "gang members over to the USA.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Suffolk County has plenty of poor communities. You have small pockets of nice communities but the real wealth is on the North shore of Nassau and the north and south forks (Hamptons)

Much the same regarding Nassau County and our poorer communities, but never mention that too loud. Regardless, they are hating the changing face of their communities and results that come with it.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did someone force him into the gang upon his re-entry in the US? Why rejoin the gang in the US? Why didn't he come forward to police sooner? Lots of questions.

America's about giving people second chances. He blew his second chance. He's no angel.

It is... and it isn't. This is a LOADED statement, an when you look at the history of some of these gangs, you'll see that this is not always true. Sometimes it's fucking HARD to stay out of gangs.

Deleted member 13506

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
This is a tough one. I find it hard to believe his reasoning for moving to the US, and falling back into the gang. I'm a bit conflicted, seeing as he was essentially born into this life, but I think his true intentions changed too late, and only when things weren't going his way. It doesn't seem like he is taking responsibility for his actions, and instead explaining how he was under duress. Henry informing the gang of the girl flashing hand symbols doesn't sit well with me either, considering how that played out.

The consequence for Henry is extreme, and doesn't lend itself to others coming forward in the future.

OP
OP
Kin5290

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
This is a tough one. I find it hard to believe his reasoning for moving to the US, and falling back into the gang. I'm a bit conflicted, seeing as he was essentially born into this life, but I think his true intentions changed too late, and only when things weren't going his way. It doesn't seem like he is taking responsibility for his actions, and instead explaining how he was under duress. Henry informing the gang of the girl flashing hand symbols doesn't sit well with me either, considering how that played out.

The consequence for Henry is extreme, and doesn't lend itself to others coming forward in the future.
He was forced to rejoin the gang. The penalty for leaving the gang is death, and if he didn't start running with the gang again he would die.

Deleted member 13506

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
He was forced to rejoin the gang. The penalty for leaving the gang is death, and if he didn't start running with the gang again he would die.

So, in such a violent culture, do you really believe that someone made an anonymous threat via phone which prompted him to leave and move to a region where MS13 was well established?

Everything that goes wrong is this story isn't his fault from his perspective, and I don't believe that.

Edit: Also, if he was already in the gang for life, why was he given a 13 second initiation beating in the forest? Change a few details in this story and it sure paints a different picture.

Edit2: To be clear, I don't want him to face the consequences, I'm just questioning the story.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
So, in such a violent culture, do you really believe that someone made an anonymous threat via phone which prompted him to leave and move to a region where MS13 was well established?

Everything that goes wrong is this story isn't his fault from his perspective, and I don't believe that.

Edit: Also, if he was already in the gang for life, why was he given a 13 second initiation beating in the forest? Change a few details in this story and it sure paints a different picture.

Edit2: To be clear, I don't want him to face the consequences, I'm just questioning the story.

He moved to where his parents (and then uncle) were. He was given the beating because he hadn't reported in to the gang after moving there. Not saying you can't question it, but it does explain those points.

Him reporting on the girl making hand signs thing (and threatening other students) doesn't sit well with me either, but even the story says he did see rejoining the gang partially as a relief (at least at first)- it's not exactly hiding that part of his feelings or some of the things he did.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
Besides being morally awful, this is just stupid policy.

Do they expect other people to give them information or even testify if they are going to deport them and completely fuck them over?

What a bunch of contemptible morons

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
In this thread, privileged posters lose all sense of context, as they plead for an unwilling gang youth to be deported after informing authorities in the hopes to be rid of the problem, potential for retaliatory murder be damned.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a depressing read before work.

It's just sad situations like this exist. I am not rich but I was lucky to grow up in a neighbourhood that didn't have things like this.

OP
OP
Kin5290

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Have an update to the story
Teenage MS-13 Gang Informant Heads Into Final Asylum Hearing (Slightly Misleading, if only due to the Immigration Court judge's decision)
Henry decided to take on additional risk and make his story public, in hopes that someone would come forward to save him. This week, many have. Henry's FBI Gang Task Force handler agreed to testify at his hearing. His former school principal, now superintendent of Brentwood School District, spoke to Henry in jail and volunteered to speak in court. An expert witness who charges steep hourly rates for testimony about gang culture agreed to work on Henry's case for free.

Hundreds of people have written in asking how to help Henry. It's a hard question to answer, because his fate is really in the hands of the immigration judge who will decide his case this afternoon. Henry may have already disqualified himself from asylum by telling police he was forced to kill a man with a machete when he was 12, as part of an initiation ritual in El Salvador to join the gang. The police turned over his confession to this murder, along with other incriminating information, to Immigration and Customs Enforcement, which used it to build a case for his deportation, laid out in an unsealed memo.
The reporter posted an update on Twitter this afternoon.

Hannah Dreier said:
Update from the hearing: The immigration judge wants more time. He has put off his ruling to May 22. Henry was shocked. He had expected to be released or ordered deported today. But his lawyer took it as a good sign for a case that had seemed unwinnable until a few days ago.

Basically, Henry's decision to get his story out there worked and might have bought himself the support he needs preserve his asylum status. It also shamed his handler (mentioned in the previous story) into testifying on his behalf, and won him a lot of support across the country. However, his status is still up in the air and will remain so until May, and he continues to live in detention along other suspected MS-13 members. He fears being moved into protective custody, since then the MS-13 members in detention will know that he was a traitor for a fact.

It sounds like his lawyer is pretty solid, since he has a few contingencies lined up in case the immigration court judge rules against them in May.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Besides being morally awful, this is just stupid policy.

Do they expect other people to give them information or even testify if they are going to deport them and completely fuck them over?

What a bunch of contemptible morons
That's the point. They want immigrants,legal or otherwise to live in constant fear.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all really can't complain about gangs on one hand and then be pro-discarding informants. Law enforcement needs informants...

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
This is absolutely infuriating. Frankly whoever decided to deport this individual deserves to go on trial/jail/worse.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why no one snitches

This couldn't have backfired any harder. He gets deported and the people he snitched on go home due to lack of supporting evidence

That risk was nowhere even worth it. Just kill the kid right now instead of wasting the time and money to deport him cuz the moment he steps in El Salvador he's dead.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In this thread, privileged posters lose all sense of context, as they plead for an unwilling gang youth to be deported after informing authorities in the hopes to be rid of the problem, potential for retaliatory murder be damned.

Yeah. I'm not even sure what to think about people feeling a 13 year old should have known better. What?

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Any brown person automatically fully matures as an adult the moment they enter thier teens. It's a known fact.

Yet guys on this board...over 18...get a pass for not knowing they should be taking showers, washing their hands after using the toilet, and practicing basic hygiene. But a 13 year old should have known better.

LOL.

Daschiel

Oct 28, 2017
I had to read a lot about cases like this kid in school (psychology) . Their initiations are usually fear based aka do this or we will kill X relative, friend, bf/gf etc. While I'm not excusing him nobody here knows his true background other than what's being accounted on the article. Again, not excusing him, but a lot of this kids saying no when in his position = dead.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, he killed someone. He's not a citizen. He's affiliated with a deadly gang. Why keep this dude in the country? Why protect him?
On the other, he's trying to help. But he's already killed someone. Do we look at this from a Rehab perspective or a Punishment perspective? Surely, if he was a documented citizen, this would be a clear rehab scenario, but now do we grant citizenship to this dude? I dunno....

Looking at both, I would be ok if he was deported. But I would also be ok if he wasn't. He gets a nod from me for trying to do the right thing, but doesn't mean he gets to be forgiven for what he already did
What do you think will happen when the feds send informants to their deaths?

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
The problem is a number of things, mostly the towns of Brentwood, Centrsl Islip and Hempstead.

I know he didn't have a choice due to shitty family but they should have moved to another town immediately, those towns are just bad news.

The fuck magic bubble you live in where people struggling and have low wage jobs they have to get to every day can just up and bounce with ease?

If it were that easy everyone would do it. The fact these gangs can even thrive here pissed me off to no end. Living amongst shit like that is fucking terrible.

Stay off Lowel Avenue in CI at night. They found the bodies in the park across from the deli. All those side blocks off Lowel are bad news, like bad gang news. Cops don't fuck around over there, I seen people get pulled out of cars at gun point and pulling a shotgun out of the passenger seat of the car they rolled up on type of bad.

Sounds about right.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I'm black n I do think that 13 year olds should know better than to murder ppl n tell on girls who throw up gang signs which results in violence. Guess I'm old fashioned tho.

Daschiel

Oct 28, 2017
Do we have any indication what El Salvador's position is on this? Do they have the ability to put Henry under effective protective custody?

Not at all, they are afraid of them to a certain degree too. Think of cartels in Mexico but with violence instead of drugs. He is dead on arrival, they don't hold punches down there.

New002

Oct 25, 2017

Sounds about right. Some depressing posts in this thread.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The fuck magic bubble you live in where people struggling and have low wage jobs they have to get to every day can just up and bounce with ease?

If it were that easy everyone would do it. The fact these gangs can even thrive here pissed me off to no end. Living amongst shit like that is fucking terrible.

Sounds about right.
There are other areas on the Island (Suffolk specifically) where they could have moved to. Would they be nice middle class areas? No not exactly but if i was them i would much rather be living say in a basement apartment in Medford than Brentwood. It's unfair to these kids to come up here and basically be fucked as soon as they enroll in school. I'm not going to pretend that they can afford it on their own, me and you both know it's not just one family living in the houses out here. Would it be easy to find another family to move in with? I can't speak to that but the sooner they get out of the town of Islip's spanish speaking communities the better. It's not like MS-13 is confined to Brentwood/CI, but it's def the heart of it.

DronePhysics

Oct 28, 2017
I'm black n I do think that 13 year olds should know better than to murder ppl n tell on girls who throw up gang signs which results in violence. Guess I'm old fashioned tho.
He was 12 years old and surrounded by hardened killers while a tatted 60 year old mass murderer tells him to either kill a man or be killed alongside said man... yeah im sure you would have done "better" at that age.

OP
OP
Kin5290

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Another Update (or rather, the primary journalist wrote this, got it edited and ready to publish this morning).

https://www.propublica.org/article/...rtation-ice-asylum-hearing-temporary-reprieve
Teen Who Faced Deportation After He Informed on MS-13 Gets Temporary Reprieve

What was on track to be a routine deportation hearing in a New York City immigration courtroom Thursday turned into an hours-long administrative battle and a detailed airing of a teenager's reasons for informing on his gang, MS-13.

Amid a flood of attention brought to the case by a ProPublica and New York magazine report published Monday, Judge Thomas Mulligan declined to issue a ruling. Instead, he gave the teen's lawyer a list of evidence and testimony he wants to see before deciding the case in May. The judge seemed to be sketching a path to a successful asylum claim, and mentioned an alternative defense if asylum cannot be supported.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017

sending informants off to die is a great way to get fewer informants in the future though. law enforcement needs people to squeal to fight organized crime effectively.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
You don't have a choice at 12 in such an environment. Kid is basically a child soldier.

He was 12 years old and surrounded by hardened killers while a tatted 60 year old mass murderer tells him to either kill a man or be killed alongside said man... yeah im sure you would have done "better" at that age.
Yeah, this.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm black and I do think 13 years old should know better than to murder people in a regular setting. I also know that when you're being surrounded by a bunch of guys who would most likely kill you on the spot or do bad shit to you and then kill you if you didn't do it would fuck up your decision making process and morality.

Guess I'm old fashioned tho.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. The 13 year old is as much of a victim here. I'm glad he ratted them out. He has to live with his own murder for the rest of his life. We also have a process for making him pay for that crime. I mean isn't that why we have a juvenile criminal system??

But sending him to his death considering the circumstances isn't warranted. Especially since we more than likely prevented even more deaths from his information.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Judge seems to be on the kid's side. I hope the kid can pull through this.
I hope they can move him the fuck off the island and away from Ms-13 altogether.

If I can run into random ex girlfriend's just by stopping at a CVS in some town I hardly visit, there is a good chance he will run into these guys or someone else from his village years down the line out here. The island ain't that big, he needs out of NY.

Oct 29, 2017
User Warned: Insensitive responses borderline on trolling.
Why does the 60 yo being tatted matters? Why does he tell on the girl if he knows how these hardened killers would react if he is such a remorseful nice guy? How much did being around these mass murders n hardened killers affect how he thinks n behaves? How well do you know Aizen-S-Kennedy's life? Do you know if he was surrounded by killers at a young age or nah? So many questions

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Why does the 60 yo being tatted matters? Why does he tell on the girl if he knows how these hardened killers would react if he is such a remorseful nice guy? How much did being around these mass murders n hardened killers affect how he thinks n behaves? How well do you know Aizen-S-Kennedy's life? Do you know if he was surrounded by killers at a young age or nah? So many questions
Okay, so you're trolling in a thread about a 13 year old facing deportation and possible death. Great.

I probably know Aizen-S-Kennedy more than I wanted to now.

Oct 29, 2017
Okay, so you're trolling in a thread about a 13 year old facing deportation and possible death. Great.

I probably know Aizen-S-Kennedy more than I wanted to now.
Not trolling at all. N not worried about what you think you know or if you think I'm " trolling". I know muthafuckas that actually left the same gang y'all talking about personally. They are alive n well. I don't share your views on deportation sorry.

I am insensitive to gang members plight. I also guaran fucking tee I've been around wayyyy more gang members then 99% of the people commenting on this topic but ok.

Matter fact since I got a warning from moderation I'll make another edit. Y'all sit on the side lines n judge this gang shit without ever being around it. I grew up in it. So did my fam. https://www.wwaytv3.com/2015/10/16/man-pleads-guilty-sentenced-for-2013-wilmington-murder/

Gang members murdered my pops on some just tryna catch a weed lick shit n I'm supposed to care about peer pressure. Nah b. Everybody who leaves ms13 aren't murdered. You don't always have to kill someone to get in. You don't follow cars with headlights flashing. Stop believing everything you read about shit you know nothing about in real life. Fuck outta here.

Last edited:

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He's fucking dead if they actually deport him

and not just dead, he's like, really dead

Dawww...sweet summer child

Aren't you just adorable.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Deporting this guy is the perfect way to make sure that authorities won't get so much Intel this fast easily ever again.