• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
You see it on the lower third of Fox. "Anti Israel protest". The propaganda is thick.

Also UT Austin protest we're giving Kent State vibes.

What I find most hilarious is that idiots like Candace Owens or Nick Fuentes or Andrew Tate who have been making pro-Palestine (however let's be honest, they're moreso anti-Israel) statements are seen as "Oh well they're just asking questions" because they're coming at it from a right-wing (read: Nazi) perspective.

Meanwhile, the folks who just want Israel to stop fucking killing people? They're THE REAL Nazis!

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017

71gucOxk0hL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1783326341040882108

Since Thursday, when police arrested 108 Columbia University demonstrators, including Rep. Ilhan Omar's daughter, Isra Hirsi, similar protests have erupted on campuses across the country, from New York University and Yale University to the University of Illinois and out west to the University of California, Berkeley, and the University of Southern California, which shut its gates late Wednesday because of the growing demonstrations.

Noting that the last time a Columbia University president summoned the police to disperse student demonstrators was back in 1968, at the height of the Vietnam War, Rachel said what she called Shafik's attempt to intimidate them was backfiring.

"Movements inherently boil when they're facing extra suppression," she said.

The Columbia students protesting the war have demanded that the school cut financial ties with Israel and divest from Israeli companies. And they have inspired students across the country to do the same.

"This is about solidarity," said Alex, a Jewish student at the University of Michigan who is part of the pro-Palestinian movement and asked to be identified only by his first name out of fear of retaliation. "We have colleges all across the nation performing a synchronized act because we work together. This is a collective movement far beyond the United States."

But it has also sparked a backlash, particularly from politicians on the right who have been urging university administrators to crack down hard on the protesters.

"You have to have law and order on campus," House Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La., told NBC News' Stephanie Gosk after he met with Jewish students at Columbia. "Listen, taxpayer funding comes to institutions like this. The American people are demanding that we bring order to this chaos. We have this kind of thing mushrooming around the country right now."

Marianne Hirsch, a Columbia University English professor, said Shafik has been "squashing peaceful protest, squashing open debate, not allowing students to express their opinions and debate their opinions."

And the fact that Shafik summoned the police last Thursday, a day after she was questioned at the congressional hearing, is no coincidence, she said.

"I'm extremely concerned about antisemitism my entire life, and I'm extremely distressed right now to see how antisemitism is being weaponized and used, misused ... under the guise of safety and security," Hirsch, whose parents were Holocaust survivors, said Tuesday.

Later, Hirsch said she "cannot but agree this is motivated by trying to pacify congressional members who are trying to interfere in the running of this school."

Several Jewish students at Columbia have told NBC News the antisemitism they experienced was very real and that they're steering clear of the campus for their own safety.

"The tension is so high," said Itai Dreifuss, 25, a junior and an Israeli who says he has been spat on and taunted by campus protesters waving Hamas flags. "It's definitely frustrating to be a part of this campus right now. You feel so helpless, and you feel so exposed."

Speaking with reporters, Johnson said he heard that Jewish students had been "running for their lives."

Gosk challenged that assertion, telling Johnson that while some Jewish students she spoke with "are certainly afraid for their safety," they are "not running for their lives."

"I had standing room only with a house full of Jewish students talking about the intimidation and threats that they experienced," Johnson replied.

Oren Root, a longtime New York City lawyer and Columbia University graduate who was at the school when anti-Vietnam War protests rocked it in 1968, said Shafik's summoning of police was "an extraordinary miscalculation."

"President Shafik and her advisers clearly didn't learn from history," said Root, who was a top editor at The Spectator, the Columbia student newspaper, in 1968 and 1969. "Calling in the cops was clearly a mistake. Things have not gotten any calmer."

Pro-Palestinian encampments have also been established at other schools that have been the sites of anti-Israel demonstrations, like the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the University of Texas and California State Polytechnic University, Humboldt.

New York Mayor Eric Adams said this week he believed "outside agitators" were using the Israel-Hamas war as an excuse to cause violence and mayhem in the city.

"We can't have outside agitators come in and be destructive to our city," Adams said at a news conference Tuesday. "Someone wanted something to happen at that protest at NYU."

It was not clear how many of those arrested at Columbia were students and how many were outsiders. Police did not respond to two requests for comment on the arrests.

Meanwhile, a group of 25 Senate Republicans sent a letter Tuesday to Attorney General Merrick Garland asking the Biden administration to address the protests across the nation.

"These pro-Hamas rioters have effectively shut down college campuses and have literally chased Jewish students away from our schools," the letter read. "You need to take action to restore order and protect Jewish students on our college campuses."

The letter did not ask Garland to take steps to protect the pro-Palestinian protesters.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good lord. What an unhinged fuckin loser.
Even back when he was in games media and briefly relevant this guy has always been incredibly, almost inconceivably thick. I always changed streams away from anything he was on during E3 events where he'd sometimes surface as you can feel brain cells dying with every word. This sort of take is exactly the kind of shit I'd expect from his hollow excuse for a brain

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Holy fuck genuinely what is this dude's problem.
Honestly, I think we are seeing another political realignment in action like BLM, trans rights, and Trump did previously. Iraq War before that.

Lot of people that identified politically one way but have some really dark and vile views that until this cultural reckoning moment were not challenged and in the face of that they are responding in the worst ways possible and many of them are going to red pill themselves rather than reconcile with their genocidal bloodlust and support for apartheid

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I find it in incredibly ridiculous that right-wing media is only calling out the pro-Palestine side, because of this continued inane argument that supporting Palestine = anti-Semitism.

Like, both sides are peaceful and have the right to protest. This is clearly, blatantly because you only agree with one of them.

I was literally listening to MSNBC with my mom and they had a segment where they called the protests antisemitic with absolutely no pushback.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
Weird that people haven't realised if you're on the side of what students are protesting against, you're more than likely gonna be on the wrong side of history. It's a pretty simple rule to live by.

The kids are alright.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
They did. They even sent troopers from Houston.

Fucking insane.

There's a video on X where UT Austin students are chanting "who failed Uvalde? DPS!" at their faces. Just hilarious and amazing shit.

View: https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1783252918847537374

Just normalizing this shit now

I was literally listening to MSNBC with my mom and they had a segment where they called the protests antisemitic with absolutely no pushback.

MSNBC had ADL CEO come on Morning Joe the other day and he compared the Palestinian kuffiyeh to the nazi swastika with zero pushback. They have been on some fuckshit for a while now, especially noticeable with Mehdi Hasan's cancellation last year.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Honestly it chokes me up a bit that these kids and faculty members are out there demonstrating. I know it's not easy and not to be taken lightly, just so many people talk shit about their generation for so many things, but they are out there standing up for what's right, it's just good to see even if the reaction is horrible to see.

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
Weird that people haven't realised if you're on the side of what students are protesting against, you're more than likely gonna be on the wrong side of history. It's a pretty simple rule to live by.

The kids are alright.
I don't know it but there's a saying in French that basically says when the students start protesting it's a wrap, it's done, the cause has won. They bring an energy and fearlessness other groups don't. The French know a thing or two about protest. Would help explain the response to these students and the eagerness to crush them.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
I don't know it but there's a saying in French that basically says when the students start protesting it's a wrap, it's done, the cause has won. They bring an energy and fearlessness other groups don't. The French know a thing or two about protest. Would help explain the response to these students and the eagerness to crush them.
It's one side of the French i'm truly jealous of. I'm sad us English don't protest in the same way, at least on a large scale.

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
It's one side of the French i'm truly jealous of. I'm sad us English don't protest in the same way, at least on a large scale.
Same! I've started getting involved in protests and protest groups over the last few months for different causes partly because I'm sick of doing the standard British thing of just biting my lip.

Not to preach too much but it's been a really good experience and well worth doing.

Oct 27, 2017

In other news, the police were called to get campers out of Sciences Po Paris last night 😅 who were also protesting. Protests are going on as well at La Sorbonne today I think.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
It's okay plenty of lawyers, bankers, investors, actors, musicians, artists, athletes and philosophers have shitty opinions on this issue too. No need to feel guilty about Sessler's shitty opinion.
I know it's more I don't even want to have the conversation with people. After gamergate I was completely done. Anyway, don't want to derail.