• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its remarkable how this tiny nation called Israel has so many powerful people in the West continue to go out and bat for it no matter what.

Not in the US so will ask. What has the democrat party response been to this violence and threatening rhetoric against peaceful protesters?

Where are all the nuts on the right who were adamant free speech was being shut down @ college campus. How they going to squirm out of this dilemma.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
They could have kept the small demonstration, some light words of criticism and a minor disruption but they had to go full fascist.

I'm still wondering when any reporters are going to report on which donors pushed for the valedictorian's speech to be canceled. There's a whole story here about how the presidents of these universities are working for donors and not the wider community of the university and just lying about their motivations.
Its amazing how often it just boils down to "PROTECT THE MONEY!"

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

USC cancels main commencement ceremony amid Gaza protests

www.theguardian.com

USC cancels main commencement ceremony amid Gaza protests

Move made after more than 90 demonstrators arrested on campus and university cancels pro-Palestinian valedictorian’s speech
gotta love how this whole mess began getting even worse after cancelling the valedictorians speech simply cuz they were afraid that she might talk about Gaza

www.latimes.com

USC valedictorian’s grad speech is canceled: ‘The university has betrayed me’

Asna Tabassum was selected as USC valedictorian and offered a slot to speak at graduation. The university canceled her speech after pro-Israel groups criticized her Instagram.
In keeping Tabassum from giving a three- to five-minute speech in front of 65,000 people during the May 10 ceremony, USC Provost Andrew T. Guzman cited the need to "maintain campus safety and security." The university alluded to unnamed threats but has not publicly detailed them.

The move was unprecedented for a ceremony where students regularly make political and cultural statements through written message on their graduation caps and sashes, as well as through the traditional valedictory speech.

talk about the mother of all Streisand effects

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Amongst, this blatantly reveals how much money has corrupted our academic institutions. They need massive reform in terms of governance and financing.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
My mother, pointing at a Fox News article on her phone and throwing all common sense out of the window, tried to argue with me that Iran was somehow to blame for the student protests.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
It has been fun watching the unfiltered hypocrisy of the US media covering this oppression of students protesting an ongoing genocide. Mike Johnson ,a straight up psycho christo fascist keeps repeating the debunked baby in oven lie on all main stream media outlet with 0 pushbacks. Seeing the footage of police unjustly arresting students, I couldn't help but imagine how different the coverage would have been if this was in Iran, China or Cuba as example . Big respect to those with moral clarity protestsing the genocide that their government is 100% complicit in aiding it .

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
It has been fun watching the unfiltered hypocrisy of the US media covering this oppression of students protesting an ongoing genocide. Mike Johnson ,a straight up psycho christo fascist keeps repeating the debunked baby in oven lie on all main stream media outlet with 0 pushbacks. Seeing the footage of police unjustly arresting students, I couldn't help but imagine how different the coverage would have been if this was in Iran, China or Cuba as example . Big respect to those with moral clarity protestsing the genocide that their government is 100% complicit in aiding it .

And I'm assuming Biden and other big democrats are silent (or perhaps even supportive) of this? If there is any topic that Republicans agree on then a Democrat should stop and think twice about it. But who am I kidding, they're all getting paid by AIPAC.

US democracy lol.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
bafkreidjoc6xuwyl323bqzcafmxltvapogbxiirzh4sx3fy73jj5pgsfc4@jpeg

And we're back to Soros funding!
Every accusation is a confession. We've already seen some pro-Israel groups try to recruit agitators and pay them for it. But like always, in "combating" "antisemitism", they LOVE being antisemitic with their unhinged obsession with Soros.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Nothing to see here, just Emory's Philosophy Chair being arrested by a masked cop.

www.instagram.com

100K views · 33K likes | Hidden Palestine on Instagram: "Among those arrested in Atlanta today were Noelle McAfee, Chair of the Philosophy Department at Emory University. You can hear her ask the PhD student taking the video: “Can you call the Phil

33K likes, 1,158 comments - hiddenpalestine on April 25, 2024: "Among those arrested in Atlanta today were Noelle McAfee, Chair of the Philosophy Department at Emory University. You can hear her ask th...".
Arresting intellectuals simply for existing is totally not a sign of a fascist state, guys. /s

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Its remarkable how this tiny nation called Israel has so many powerful people in the West continue to go out and bat for it no matter what.

Not in the US so will ask. What has the democrat party response been to this violence and threatening rhetoric against peaceful protesters?

Where are all the nuts on the right who were adamant free speech was being shut down @ college campus. How they going to squirm out of this dilemma.

And I'm assuming Biden and other big democrats are silent (or perhaps even supportive) of this? If there is any topic that Republicans agree on then a Democrat should stop and think twice about it. But who am I kidding, they're all getting paid by AIPAC.

US democracy lol.
Most Democrats have been silent at best, actively encouraging the crackdowns at worst.

All Biden has said on the matter, as far as I know, is to denounce the "anti-semitic protests" and urge campuses to "make it safe for the Jewish students" who feel threatened by the protests.

So, complete erasure/misrepresentation of the vast majority of peaceful protesters (and ignoring that many of the anti-war protesters are themselves Jewish), ignoring the anti-arab discrimination going on as well, and tacit endorsement of the violent suppression from police/National Guards.

Vena

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All Biden has said on the matter, as far as I know, is to denounce the "anti-semitic protests" and urge campuses to "make it safe for the Jewish students" who feel threatened by the protests.

So, complete erasure/misrepresentation of the vast majority of peaceful protesters (and ignoring that many of the anti-war protesters are themselves Jewish), ignoring the anti-arab discrimination going on as well, and tacit endorsement of the violent suppression from police/National Guards.

He condemned both antisemitic protests and those who did not understand the what was going on with Gaza. You can quite easily Google his comments to see what they were.

There is vast coverage of it on practically all traditional media.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
He condemned both antisemitic protests and those who did not understand the what was going on with Gaza. You can quite easily Google his comments to see what they were.

He said "I condemn the antisemitic protests, that's why I set up a program to deal with that. I also condemn those who don't understand what's going on with the Palestinians and their, how they're being —," the president said before getting cut off.

I don't even know what he is talking about tbh. That shit could go anywhere and it sure as hell doesn't criticize Israel one bit. How are you so charitable in light of everything he has done! This is so strange 7 months into this.

Biden is explicitly funding and arming ethnic cleansing... Time after time his administration refuses independent investigations of potential war crimes conducted by Israel and instead has them investigate themselves. The only conclusion I can gather by you being so charitable is that you don't think it's ethnic cleansing and you definitely don't think it's a genocide because if you did you wouldn't go to bat for him so much.

Jan 18, 2018
These are such great posts.
Thank you

He said "I condemn the antisemitic protests, that's why I set up a program to deal with that. I also condemn those who don't understand what's going on with the Palestinians and their, how they're being —," the president said before getting cut off.

I don't even know what he is talking about tbh. That shit could go anywhere and it sure as hell doesn't criticize Israel one bit. How are you so charitable in light of everything he has done! This is so strange 7 months into this.

Biden is explicitly funding and arming ethnic cleansing... Time after time his administration refuses independent investigations of potential war crimes conducted by Israel and instead has them investigate themselves. The only conclusion I can gather by you being so charitable is that you don't think it's ethnic cleansing and you definitely don't think it's a genocide because if you did you wouldn't go to bat for him so much.
Some Folks gotta whitewash Biden and give him too much credit for blowing up brown people in order to come to terms with the fact they still gotta vote for him. They don't wanna criticize a dem because they're supposed to be the "good guys" and the alternative to that fact is that things are fucked and the man folks say has to save democracy is a racist piece of shit who doesn't deserve to win. No matter what, Gotta post that Dark Brandon propaganda.

The cognitive dissonance of the American public is admirable not gonna lie.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Some Folks gotta whitewash Biden and give him too much credit for blowing up brown people in order to come to terms with the fact they still gotta vote for him. They don't wanna criticize a dem because they're supposed to be the "good guys" and the alternative to that fact is that things are fucked and the man folks say has to save democracy is a racist piece of shit who doesn't deserve to win. No matter what, Gotta post that Dark Brandon propaganda.

It's especially crazy in the protest thread when it is literally Biden's murderous and catastrophic foreign policy and unwavering support for Israel that has caused the damn protests. He could march with the protesters tomorrow and it doesn't mean shit because his action are the reason they exist!

KingK

Oct 27, 2017

There is vast coverage of it on practically all traditional media.
I was referring to the white house comments I saw here. Didn't know there were any more recent remarks: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68871751

"While every American has the right to peaceful protest, calls for violence and physical intimidation targeting Jewish students and the Jewish community are blatantly antisemitic, unconscionable, and dangerous," the statement read.
"And echoing the rhetoric of terrorist organisations, especially in the wake of the worst massacre committed against the Jewish people since the Holocaust, is despicable."
Separately, President Joe Biden also denounced "blatant antisemitism" on college campuses, without directly referencing any one university.
"Even in recent days, we've seen harassment and calls for violence against Jews. This blatant antisemitism is reprehensible and dangerous - and it has absolutely no place on college campuses, or anywhere in our country," he said in a statement marking the Jewish Passover holiday.

Like, this response to the initial crackdown at the university seems like an attempt to justify that crackdown to me. I have no doubt that there has been vile antisemitic comments from many taking advantage of the situation to push hate. But the White House initial stance seemed to be to focus almost exclusively on that, ignore that it's clearly not an accurate representation of the protesters at large, erase the existence of anti-war Jewish students participating in the protests, and ignore that administrators are making the situation more dangerous by bringing in police.

Tangentially - it also doesn't help that much of the media considers any calls for an end to apartheid, or even recognizing the genocide as a genocide, to be inherently antisemitic.

Vena

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was referring to the white house comments I saw here. Didn't know there were any more recent remarks: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68871751

Like, this response to the initial crackdown at the university seems like an attempt to justify that crackdown to me. I have no doubt that there has been vile antisemitic comments from many taking advantage of the situation to push hate. But the White House initial stance seemed to be to focus almost exclusively on that, ignore that it's clearly not an accurate representation of the protesters at large, erase the existence of anti-war Jewish students participating in the protests, and ignore that administrators are making the situation more dangerous by bringing in police.

Tangentially - it also doesn't help that much of the media considers any calls for an end to apartheid, or even recognizing the genocide as a genocide, to be inherently antisemitic.

Fair, fair. The White House statement is too one-sided though I don't think it goes so far as to be justification.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Pelosi insinuating that the protesters are Russian agents is some of the most despicable shit but everytime they try to handwave people genuinely being concerned about genocide and apartheid they just make matters worse for themselves. History classes are notoriously terrible and devoid of many topics that paint the west in a bad light but one thing young people are very familiar with is being taught that Genocide and Apartheid are bad so trying to argue that those are not things worth protesting against is going to be a impossible.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I saw Bibi on TV to control things saying the protest are antisemitism. What a POS.

This man has a chokehold on America. It's nuts.

Amongst, this blatantly reveals how much money has corrupted our academic institutions. They need massive reform in terms of governance and financing.
Prestigious American universities are hedge funds in disguise. Look up the endowments of these places. And they pay no taxes! They gobble up real estate in urban areas and largely parasitics since they're non-profits.

Moreover, they rarely increase class sizes to keep the supply low and creating artificial scarcity. They basically protect elitism. Look up the pedigree of the Supreme Court.

Pelosi insinuating that the protesters are Russian agents is some of the most despicable shit but everytime they try to handwave people genuinely being concerned about genocide and apartheid they just make matters worse for themselves. History classes are notoriously terrible and devoid of many topics that paint the west in a bad light but one thing young people are very familiar with is being taught that Genocide and Apartheid are bad so trying to argue that those are not things worth protesting against is going to be a impossible.
They've locked themselves into a Streisand Effect. People aren't going to get less pissed off.

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
Thank you

You said it loud and clear, this forum is a better place thanks to people like you calling out white dems and their pantomimes.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any news from all the bitch ass centrists and conservatives who just spent a decade whining students were too coddled and unchallenged ?

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017

I don't even know if it's that at this point instead of more that they really hate the people in the region that they see Israel as a bulwark against.

And I don't even know if they hate the people because of racism and more that they just really do not want to give up power to them. They won't share power with more folks and they have a need to remain the top world countries.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017

The lengths grown ass adults go to harass students.

Nailed it.

Its the russians, chinese, and also iranians. No way american students are educated and are able to form their own opinions! Our foreign adversaries keep poisoning our youth!

By the way Israel investigated themselves and they said theyre innocent and we believe them 110%

I saw Bibi on TV to control things saying the protest are antisemitism. What a POS.

This man has a chokehold on America. It's nuts.

Many democrats and media pundits agree with him. Its crazy that a foreign prime minister can say shit like "more has to be done to stop the protests" and we have politicians that are totally cool with him telling us what to do in our country, right after granting his genocidal ass billions more in aid.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
Thank you

You said it loud and clear, this forum is a better place thanks to people like you calling out white dems and their pantomimes.
I mean, I'm black and I agree with the probably cynical calculus of voting for Biden. I've read that black women are the most reliable Dem voters, and I wonder if they all make the same cynical calculation that I do: that if shit gets bad, we're screwed before black men and white men and women (and I worry about the LGBTQ community before any of that).

My parents grew up in a military dictatorship and they tell me Americans take the stability of their own country for granted.

We're here because people came up with the dumbest reasons to not vote for Hillary. Gee, I wonder where we will be in four years if people decide not to vote again. And yes, I think funding genocide is a pretty big deal. I'm furious at Dems for letting Israel's corrupt government walk all over them. But maybe we wouldn't even be here if Americans hadn't decided collectively to fuck around a find out 8 years ago!

If I'd known that Biden was a hyper Zionist and had the clairvoyance to know that a major conflict would break out in Israel back when I voted for him in the primaries, then I would've definitely taken a different goddamned route. I have no problem voting for Dems because just like in 2016, it wasn't about me. It was about my investment in the future, especially when it comes to climate change! I took an oceanography course in undergrad, I don't fuck around with climate change.

Biden clearly doesn't care about Palestinians. And yet, he's still far less hateful than the alternative that hates everyone. I only really have two choices in voting, and as someone who only became a citizen in 2007, I really don't want to see this country destroy itself.

After talking friends from South America online, I've realized just how much of the US's riches are built on top of the suffering of others. It's made me cynical, but not cynical enough to burn it all down in November. The US going full dictatorship won't magically make the world a better place, even if one may argue that Americans might deserve it. Global politics doesn't work out nice and neatly that way. In my reading of modern history, generally the sides in global conflicts are "Bad" and "Slightly Less Bad."

And as someone with a PhD who has taught numerous classes of students, I'm far more worried about Republicans destroying American universities than Democrats being their usual milquetoast selves. Could Dems be doing more? Hell yes! But they're still not aggressively trying to dismantle all levels of education.

My choices are shitty status quo or likely destruction. I'm going to go for the former.

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
I mean, I'm black and I agree with the probably cynical calculus of voting for Biden. I've read that black women are the most reliable Dem voters, and I wonder if they all make the same cynical calculation that I do: that if shit gets bad, we're screwed before black men and white men and women (and I worry about the LGBTQ community before any of that).

My parents grew up in a military dictatorship and they tell me Americans take the stability of their own country for granted.

We're here because people came up with the dumbest reasons to not vote for Hillary. Gee, I wonder where we will be in four years if people decide not to vote again. And yes, I think funding genocide is a pretty big deal. I'm furious at Dems for letting Israel's corrupt government walk all over them. But maybe we wouldn't even be here if Americans hadn't decided collectively to fuck around a find out 8 years ago!

If I'd known that Biden was a hyper Zionist and had the clairvoyance to know that a major conflict would break out in Israel back when I voted for him in the primaries, then I would've definitely taken a different goddamned route. I have no problem voting for Dems because just like in 2016, it wasn't about me. It was about my investment in the future, especially when it comes to climate change! I took an oceanography course in undergrad, I don't fuck around with climate change.

Biden clearly doesn't care about Palestinians. And yet, he's still far less hateful than the alternative that hates everyone. I only really have two choices in voting, and as someone who only became a citizen in 2007, I really don't want to see this country destroy itself.

After talking friends from South America online, I've realized just how much of the US's riches are built on top of the suffering of others. It's made me cynical, but not cynical enough to burn it all down in November. The US going full dictatorship won't magically make the world a better place, even if one may argue that Americans might deserve it. Global politics doesn't work out nice and neatly that way. In my reading of modern history, generally the sides in global conflicts are "Bad" and "Slightly Less Bad."

And as someone with a PhD who has taught numerous classes of students, I'm far more worried about Republicans destroying American universities than Democrats being their usual milquetoast selves. Could Dems be doing more? Hell yes! But they're still not aggressively trying to dismantle all levels of education.

My choices are shitty status quo or likely destruction. I'm going to go for the former.

"American" is a weird way to refer to US citizens, but I'll say that I'm not one and thus have nothing to take for granted. I do get to witness all the consequences of the US building their prosperous and stable empire on top of the blood of so many other peoples. In any case, yours is a fair assessment; of course, every person will support the outcome that benefits their kin first and foremost. What bothers me is mostly those that go out of their way to make Biden look like anything other than a genocidal racist and that will call out those that decide not to vote for him as if they were making any meaningful effort for Palestinians not to be thrown under the bus. If all these people are ok with Palestinians being subjected to this now, who's to say they won't do the same if it's my Latin American family getting thrown into mass graves by their "strategic partners" or their own army? That's not the kind of people I want to stand with or that I would consider as worthy allies, even if my well-being as a queer Latino happens to benefit from their ephemeral intersectionality.

JinnAxel

Oct 30, 2017
I think it's fine to do the lesser evil voting, the issue really comes down to the fact that lesser evil voting is enabling the Democratic party to slide further right wards. They know the base is ol reliable. So whatever decisions they make have no functional consequences. They just get a stern disapproval knowing full well that they'll get voted in again.

Primary challengers who would shake up the status quo are denounced due to electability fears.

Essentially what I'm trying to say is simply voting isn't enough anymore to change things for the better. And that people don't only have the two options of voting D or else the other guy wins. It's honestly less than the bare minimum required to make things better. There's the much more difficult and harrowing third option which is to, much like many of these student activists, actively participate in political action.

If I'd known that Biden was a hyper Zionist and had the clairvoyance to know that a major conflict would break out in Israel back when I voted for him in the primaries, then I would've definitely taken a different goddamned route.

Also, neither of these things were unknowns going into 2020. Biden has always been a self avowed Zionist. Famously saying that if Israel didn't exist, America would make it exist, way back in his senate days.

As for Palestine, there is never not any conflict, whether it be in the West Bank or Gaza, Palestinians have always been on the receiving end of forced displacement and murder by Israel.

This isn't a criticism of you, mind. Many people can't acknowledge things they don't know. And if they're not politically aware they don't go out of their way to find out.

But that just goes back to what I said about how simply voting isn't enough to move the needle anymore. Maybe it never was.

And it sucks because your average person doesn't have the time or energy to do all the work required.

Last edited:

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Essentially what I'm trying to say is simply voting isn't enough anymore to change things for the better.
It never was enough for the critical issues. We didn't vote our way out of slavery: the situation collapsed and one side was in the position to benefit from it. It was just the anti slavery side in that case (for however long that lasted or broadly that applied) but there will always be some collapse at some point.

You have to vote as you see fit but also be ready for a defeat in the next decade and have something in reserve for that time

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
"American" is a weird way to refer to US citizens, but I'll say that I'm not one and thus have nothing to take for granted. I do get to witness all the consequences of the US building their prosperous and stable empire on top of the blood of so many other peoples. In any case, yours is a fair assessment; of course, every person will support the outcome that benefits their kin first and foremost. What bothers me is mostly those that go out of their way to make Biden look like anything other than a genocidal racist and that will call out those that decide not to vote for him as if they were making any meaningful effort for Palestinians not to be thrown under the bus. If all these people are ok with Palestinians being subjected to this now, who's to say they won't do the same if it's my Latin American family getting thrown into mass graves by their "strategic partners" or their own army? That's not the kind of people I want to stand with or that I would consider as worthy allies, even if my well-being as a queer Latino happens to benefit from their ephemeral intersectionality.
I just don't see a way to make the situation in Gaza better in the short term. I was pretty dismayed and alarmed when I read up on Biden's decades long record on enabling Israel's worst impulses. But he's the president right now. I call my senators and voice my anger with how they're handling this conflict.

To give an analogy, I've realized the person flying the plane I'm on is a terrible asshole, but my other option is a worse asshole who has no qualms about flying the whole thing into a mountain.

I think I'm angry because I see all these horrible policies being supported by Biden and Blinken and others at the top and I'm helpless to make any immediate changes.

At this rate I feel like the best hope is the governing coalition in Israel collapsing through their own bullshit, but that's just hopeful thinking.

I really think people are underestimating how bad the alternative is. The US, despite its horrible actions, still does a lot of good like foreign aid to countries that isn't for weapons (things that help women that Republicans want abolish because something something abortion). The alternative means losing Ukraine in addition to Gaza. The alternative means a nuclear armed super power with as madman bent on revenge who wants to burn down the entire planet with the few years of sad existence he has left. He doesn't care about his family or the future, even.

Ironically, my parents grew up under a military dictatorship because of a US-backed coup. Not surprising at all, of course. But even then they seem to see the US as overall a force for good. Maybe they're wrong. They agree with me on Gaza, and they don't want their kids growing up in an unstable country like they did.

In the end, I guess it comes down to self interest. And that just tells me how dire the situation is. In my defense, I will say that my #1 concern will always be climate. If we fail at that, then I don't see how anything we do now matters. The planet will go on just fine without humans.

I don't think I'm a great ally. I participated in a grassroots campaign to end gerrymandering in my state, which has made a huge difference. But that's about the extent of what I feel like I can really change in the short term.

It feels nice to stick it to Biden, but then what? He has the means to leave the country when we don't. Voting won't solve things in the short term, but I believe in long term possibilities because at this point, that's all I can do.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Voting won't solve things in the short term, but I believe in long term possibilities because at this point, that's all I can do.
I mean, the unfortunate thing is that this is also likely what people are thinking when they consider not voting for Biden. Belief that people, movements as a whole can in the long term survive a Republican victory and the next years/decade. I don't know if they're right but that is the thinking regardless of how hopeless it seems.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
I mean, the unfortunate thing is that this is also likely what people are thinking when they consider not voting for Biden. Belief that people, movements as a whole can in the long term survive a Republican victory and the next years/decade. I don't know if they're right but that is the thinking regardless of how hopeless it seems.
In light of Project 2025 I strongly disagree with that reasoning. I always will.

Fascist movements do tend to collapse, yes... After millions of deaths.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
In light of Project 2025 I strongly disagree with that reasoning. I always will.

Fascist movements do tend to collapse, yes... After millions of deaths.

Absolutely.

But I guess the thinking is even longer term than the millions. Realistically though, I'd rather not test or be a part of that experiment. Partially because I would be living it

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
I just don't see a way to make the situation in Gaza better in the short term. I was pretty dismayed and alarmed when I read up on Biden's decades long record on enabling Israel's worst impulses. But he's the president right now. I call my senators and voice my anger with how they're handling this conflict.

To give an analogy, I've realized the person flying the plane I'm on is a terrible asshole, but my other option is a worse asshole who has no qualms about flying the whole thing into a mountain.

I think I'm angry because I see all these horrible policies being supported by Biden and Blinken and others at the top and I'm helpless to make any immediate changes.

At this rate I feel like the best hope is the governing coalition in Israel collapsing through their own bullshit, but that's just hopeful thinking.

I really think people are underestimating how bad the alternative is. The US, despite its horrible actions, still does a lot of good like foreign aid to countries that isn't for weapons (things that help women that Republicans want abolish because something something abortion). The alternative means losing Ukraine in addition to Gaza. The alternative means a nuclear armed super power with as madman bent on revenge who wants to burn down the entire planet with the few years of sad existence he has left. He doesn't care about his family or the future, even.

Ironically, my parents grew up under a military dictatorship because of a US-backed coup. Not surprising at all, of course. But even then they seem to see the US as overall a force for good. Maybe they're wrong. They agree with me on Gaza, and they don't want their kids growing up in an unstable country like they did.

In the end, I guess it comes down to self interest. And that just tells me how dire the situation is. In my defense, I will say that my #1 concern will always be climate. If we fail at that, then I don't see how anything we do now matters. The planet will go on just fine without humans.

I don't think I'm a great ally. I participated in a grassroots campaign to end gerrymandering in my state, which has made a huge difference. But that's about the extent of what I feel like I can really change in the short term.

It feels nice to stick it to Biden, but then what? He has the means to leave the country when we don't. Voting won't solve things in the short term, but I believe in long term possibilities because at this point, that's all I can do.

It's a lot less about sticking it to Biden or even the Dems on any personal level than it is to simply refuse to vote for someone you think is a terrible person who's enabling genocide, regardless even of how demonic the alternative is. You're asking people to go to the polls and affirmatively vote for someone they think is enabling genocide, in some cases against their own family members or people they actually know. Just stop to consider that for a moment.

The argument that the other side is much worse (and it is) is not going to be very persuasive when you can't make an affirmative argument for your candidate that justifies his phenomenally limp and cowardly attitude towards what's happening in Gaza, and something like genocide is a bit larger than the typical single-issue voting strategy.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
For me, at least, I feel our best bet is to absolutely crush the Republican party in the upcoming election, which feels possible since Trump is siphoning the entire party's money away and throwing it down the drain for all his court cases and other personal uses. If that happens, in the near future, the more progressive Democrats can actually try to push back against the unwavering support of the Israeli government. It still wouldn't happen immediately, but it still seems faster than letting Republicans take over and absolutely destroy the US and the environment while probably providing even more financial/military support to the Israeli government.

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023

I don't think that's the best analogy, the Dems have created this bubble where it may seem that all non-White constituencies *need* to go with them to prosper, but you have to consider how conservative some groups of Latinos and Muslims are. From the experience of family members who are US citizens in Florida, Whites aren't the ones driving the increasing success of Republicans there. Big portions of some POC communities don't feel (emphasis on feel, it doesn't mean they won't be) as threatened by Trump in the way queer folks or non-conservative women do. With Biden doing pretty much everything in his power to ensure Israel can continue their genocide, it's not surprising many of these are considering not voting at all. The thing about intersectionality is that many groups are there just because their own cause is upheld by the movement as a whole. If the only reason making them vote Dem is thrown under the bus with politicians like Fetterman claiming "not to care" when confronted about dead Palestinian children, no amount of arguing about how it's going to be worse for everyone else will convince them. It's up to the movement to create an environment where those that were let down feel comfortable enough to put their weigh back in even if they have differing views on other social issues.

And as wrong as it may sound, if you recognize that many conservative Muslims don't feel as threatened by the prospect of Dems losing, it will start making sense for you that they decide not to vote. They're not driving the plane into a mountain; at worst they're putting everyone else in the same situation in hopes that the majority will stop considering them as pawns that can be discarded to keep things safe for the rest, but as Zeliard pointed out, many simply don't feel comfortable voting for a genocidal ghoul. Feel free to disagree, that's ok, you have a lot hinging on the outcome of the elections, but I'm kinda sick of all the infantilization and patronization that I'm seeing around here by Dem voters. Y'all can do better.