Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

Hi everybody, we hope you are all doing well and keeping healthy. This is Jamie, the Animation Director over at Team Asobi. First things first, a big thank you for your feedback, comments and reviews of Astro's Playroom (fact: we do read them all!). We are genuinely delighted to see so much love and positivity around the game. You guys are great!

Looking at your comments, one thing that stood out in particular were the various PlayStation game tributes and cameos hidden all over Astro's Playroom. Being huge fans of the PlayStation heritage ourselves, we had a real blast creating these! And as you can imagine, with so many amazing and cherished game characters to pick from, we felt a big responsibility to deliver the fun and quality that would do justice to them.

Today, let us give you a short insight into the creation process of these fun cameos!

Astros Playroom
As often is the case, we started with concepting these ideas on paper. Toshihiko Nakai, our concept artist oozes creativity and his ideas just jump off the page. Looking through the PlayStation games history, he started drawing lots of fun bot cameos based on PlayStation characters from the last 25 years.

The selection process was simple, if a given cameo was instantly recognisable, made us smile, laugh, and got our inner geek excited, then it would make it through the first step.

Choosing iconic items of clothing or tools from the given game was paramount to getting that instant recognition while still leaving a little bit of guessing work to do for the player. It had to be a fun game of deciphering, even for players who knew where these cameos originated from. For this to work, a precise knowledge of each of the games was necessary. Once again, Toshihiko proved to be an incredible gaming encyclopedia!

Another important aspect of making a good cameo was the comedy aspect: each of these scenes had to be funny to watch and not shy away from making a bit of fun of the original games while, of course, still paying respect: that was a balancing act and one of the more difficult things to get just right.

Here are a few examples of early cameo sketches from Toshihiko.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51407374324_5c81edd3f9_h.jpg

Of course, we involved all original makers of those games from the beginning to the end, which was a real privilege for us. Along the way, we got to make new friends, learn about the making of some of the most amazing PlayStation game series, and, errr… maybe even got a few of our own old games signed. You know, for posterity. :)

Considering that each and every creator we asked agreed to lend their amazing characters to the cause goes to show there is a real fraternity and comradery between creators but also a definite common love for PlayStation between us all. This is true for our PlayStation Studios friends, of course, but also for our many other partners who created the most iconic games on PlayStation during the last 25 years. We can never thank these teams enough for their kindness and trust.

blog.playstation.com

Astro’s Playroom: the story behind those fun PlayStation character cameos

How Team Asobi captured over 25 years of PlayStation magic in its PS5 launch title.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait to see what they do next, this is the first game I've ever platinum'd (at least, on purpose).

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely cannot wait to see what is next from Team Asobi/Astro Bot. Astro's Playroom is always makes me happy when thinking about the gameplay and cameos. All the PlayStation easter eggs were such a treat.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't find Astro Bot at all interesting outside of VR, and the cynic in me has a tough time getting gushy over stuff like this when Playstation shuts down long-standing, vaunted studios and continues to pretty much ignore their absurdly rich legacy catalog.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I have almost no particularly fond nostalgia for the Sony branding, but found myself utterly enthralled by Astro's Playroom, and the representation and recreation of various Sony related IPs and gear genuinely loving. It was cute as fuck and I adored uncovering all the little characters.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Very talented team, can't wait for their next game (hoping for a full fledged AAA platformer)

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Looking forward to seeing sony grow this studio. They ooze with a lot of creativity and talent.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what was better: them being able to get 3rd parties on board with this or going deep in the well & pulling out a Vib Ribbon & Jumping Flash references?

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Came in smiling just thinking about my experience with Astro's Playroom.

then...

Didn't find Astro Bot at all interesting outside of VR, and the cynic in me has a tough time getting gushy over stuff like this when Playstation shuts down long-standing, vaunted studios and continues to pretty much ignore their absurdly rich legacy catalog.

Y1DB4.gif

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I watched a video of a lot of those easter eggs around launch and theyre all so dang charming.

I just wish Sony seemed to care as much about legacy content as team asobi did. Idk if I could enjoy astrobot as much as I would devoid of the context around it tbh. Will still be there for whatever the studio does next, and will definitely play it when I get around to getting a ps5.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
the game was a lot of fun, and the litter references were cute. its status as the best-selling ps5 game of all-time is well-deserved.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
This was such a nice treat to be bundled with the PS5... really great gameplay and especially music (the SSD stage in particular). And of course the oodles of nostalgia... though I'm surprised at the lack of Arc the Lad references - the game was iirc the first PS1 game to hit 1 million sold.

I'd love to see an expanded upon sequel to this, maybe with slightly less motion control stages. It's really the best 3D platformer I've played since Mario 3D World.

Awwww yeaaaaah:

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
The Fortesque cameo was real painful.

I never played past the second (maybe first) level of Playroom so I don't know if there was more than one.

Hell, it was nice to see him again...in some form at least

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Such a great little game. Like others have said, this was the first game I Platinum'd.

I got serious nostalgia vibes through the whole thing, and the references to all the legacy games were the icing on the cake.

Oct 27, 2017
Nov 21, 2017
www.gravityrushcentral.com

Kat Makes a Cameo in Astro's Playroom on Playstation 5! - Gravity Rush Central

Earlier today I made a tweet about the many cameos from various PlayStation franchises that were visible in the recent gameplay footage of Astro’s Playroom on PlayStation 5, and mentioned...

Sorry I know who Kat is. I was making a joke referencing the time PlayStation was asking fans at an event to name the character they were showing on the screen and nobody was able to name Kat when her picture appeared.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to know how much this team values those old games, now to see if Sony ever wants to have future plans for these little references. Team Asobi ought to make games other than Astro bot games.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
The joy of seeing some of those old-school PlayStation characters from the PS1 era ("OMG, it's Robbit!) being acknowledged was somewhat undermined by the closure of Japan Studio a few months later. Astro's Playroom marks the last time we'll probably ever see Kat in a video game also.

If there's a studio that could bring back Jumping Flash! in style though, it's Asobi. They'd kill it.

Oct 25, 2017
Can they help me capture Apes that escaped for 8 to 10 hours next?

but for real, Asobi is deserve all the praise in the world and more.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This is me at my most glass half empty but that was all I could think about while playing it as well.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Pretty wild how Playstation just got an incredible mascot out of nowhere. Ik Playroom was a thing on ps4 and psvr but Astrobot and Astros playroom are so good they have really cemented Astro as a character I want to be seeing all the time. Team Asobis next game is going to be something special

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
GPUUUUUUUU

I love what they did for this game- absolutely brilliant showcase!

Thanks for posting this.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
This was a really cool little game, I loved it. And as someone who spent a lot of time on PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, and Vita, I loved (re-)collecting all the hardware!

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017

people need to let go of this 🙄 my god Japan studio was a carcas of itself. Team asobou is a more focused studio.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
One of my favorite gaming experiences for sure, the game was a treat from beginning to end

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Once they really expand, the IP (hopefully) takes off, and the team comes into it's own....i wonder where they go next (on top of more Astro, ofc).

Do they try to make spinoffs (2D platformers, Karting game, party Game, etc.)?

Would they be interested in picking up some of the old SIE platformer IPs?

Totally new IPs in new genres?

I have high hopes for them, whichever route they go

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
As someone who's not played Astro Bot, I'm getting major Tearaway vibes from the franchise.

Looks cute.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony: "Here's a cute game showcasing the history and beloved franchises of Playstation!"

Also Sony: "Who the fuck cares about these non AAA Franchises?"

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
people need to let go of this 🙄 my god Japan studio was a carcas of itself. Team asobou is a more focused studio.

They would rather Japan Studios and its ex-employees stay there and continue to make small titles that very few people bought than have new studios both in and outside of Sony doing new and interesting things they want to work on.

Japan Studio being closed has its connotations for sure, but also clear that the studio internally lacked what Sony wanted from its first-party studios.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not usually someone that takes a lot of screenshots but I couldnt resist lining up all the little scenes I saw in Astro.

Oct 31, 2017
With talk of Sony producing *hybrid* Vr software for Psvr2 I think we will definitely see a new Vr adventure from Team Asobi but also one that be played on a flat perspective too.