• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

More than four years ago, we launched PlayStation VR to offer a transformative new way to play games on PS4, providing a much stronger sense of presence and deeper immersion to players compared with traditional games. In that time, we've seen tremendous experiences that have propelled virtual reality gaming forward, including highly acclaimed titles like Astro Bot: Rescue Mission, Tetris Effect, Blood & Truth, Moss, Beat Saber, and Resident Evil 7 biohazard. We've also enhanced the experience for some PS VR titles when played on PS4 Pro and PlayStation 5.

Today I'm pleased to share that our next-generation VR system will be coming to PlayStation 5, enabling the ultimate entertainment experience with dramatic leaps in performance and interactivity. Players will feel an even greater sense of presence and become even more immersed in their game worlds once they put on the new headset.

We're continuing to innovate with our new VR system so that our fans can continue to enjoy the unique experiences that are synonymous with PlayStation. We're taking what we've learned since launching PS VR on PS4 to develop a next-gen VR system that enhances everything from resolution and field of view to tracking and input. It will connect to PS5 with a single cord to simplify setup and improve ease-of-use, while enabling a high-fidelity visual experience.

One of the innovations we're excited about is our new VR controller, which will incorporate some of the key features found in the DualSense wireless controller, along with a focus on great ergonomics. That's just one of the examples of future-proof technology we're developing to match our vision for a whole new generation of VR games and experiences.

There's still a lot of development underway for our new VR system, so it won't be launching in 2021. But we wanted to provide this early update to our fans, as the development community has started to work on creating new worlds for you to explore in virtual reality.

We also want to thank all of our PS VR players for your continued support — with upcoming games like After The Fall, Sniper Elite VR, and Humanity, there's much more to come for PS VR whether you're playing on PS4 or PS5. With both PlayStation VR and the next-generation VR system we're building, our commitment to virtual reality as a medium for games is stronger than ever. We look forward to sharing more details in the future!

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Today I'm pleased to share that our next-generation VR system will be coming to PlayStation 5, enabling the ultimate entertainment experience with dramatic leaps in performance and interactivity. Players will feel an even greater sense of presence and become even more immersed in their game worlds once they put on the new headset.
We're continuing to innovate with our new VR system so that our fans can continue to enjoy the unique experiences that are synonymous with PlayStation. We're taking what we've learned since launching PS VR on PS4 to develop a next-gen VR system that enhances everything from resolution and field of view to tracking and input. It will connect to PS5 with a single cord to simplify setup and improve ease-of-use, while enabling a high-fidelity visual experience.
One of the innovations we're excited about is our new VR controller, which will incorporate some of the key features found in the DualSense wireless controller, along with a focus on great ergonomics. That's just one of the examples of future-proof technology we're developing to match our vision for a whole new generation of VR games and experiences.
There's still a lot of development underway for our new VR system, so it won't be launching in 2021. But we wanted to provide this early update to our fans, as the development community has started to work on creating new worlds for you to explore in virtual reality.
We also want to thank all of our PS VR players for your continued support — with upcoming games like After The Fall, Sniper Elite VR, and Humanity, there's much more to come for PS VR whether you're playing on PS4 or PS5. With both PlayStation VR and the next-generation VR system we're building, our commitment to virtual reality as a medium for games is stronger than ever. We look forward to sharing more details in the future!

blog.playstation.com

Introducing the next generation of VR on PlayStation

First details on the next-generation VR system coming to the PS5 console.

Gold!e

Jun 7, 2018
Britain
Awesome. Can't wait to see how the new hardware elevates VR stuff.

Edit: Oooh, new controller that has Dualsense features? Sexy!

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not worth talking about unless they are at least willing to discuss/reveal some features. FOV? Wireless? Room-scale?

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
New VR controller with DualSense features? Bless. The Move controllers had their day but they're out of date.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018

Bye Move controllers, don't let the trashcan lid hit your on your way out.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Hope that they actually produce enough of these new controllers. PS Moves haven't been available for years at this point.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Good to see they're doing a controller this time instead of continuing to rely on move controllers.

Deleted member 56995

User requested account closure
Banned
May 24, 2019
I believe PSVR had the biggest market share in the VR space at one point while Sony barely put in the bare minimum. With the VR market continuing to grow, it makes sense why Sony wouldn't abandon it yet.

Naked Prime

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
At this point they are just telling us stuff we already know. I'd they aren't going into detail about new features or demoing, just don't say anything.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming it supports all existing PSVR games at a higher resolution, this will be a great time to jump in.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised it isn't coming this year. Sony is probably more focused on getting enough PS5's into people's homes.

VR is not my thing but it is nice to see them still pushing it.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Single cord is nice, but after cordless Quest, I don't know if I can go back. I'll sacrifice graphics for no cord.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
just a hey head up we still doing this? maybe E3 time we see more but i know how much ppl hate that "taking time up"

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Today I'm pleased to share that our next-generation VR system will be coming to PlayStation 5
yes!

It will connect to PS5 with a single cord..
No! 😡 This is where the Quest strength really lies, roomscale wire-free experiences are amazing. I'm excited to see what Sony come up with but they've already misstepped by relying on a cable, next we'll learn that they're still using an external camera (with all the tracking issues that come with that) instead of inside-out tracking.

ItsBradazHD

Nov 21, 2018
Very excited to see what they have been working on, hardware and games wise. Fully expected it to still be wired - but the fact it's a single cord is great news. I imagine wireless tech isn't up to the standards they want, and they wanted to use the full grunt of the PS5 rather than going an Oculus route and having it be a standalone system.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Single cable is really good, the PSVR was a mess to setup. And Dualsense features on the controllers will be awesome, waiting for what crazy things the devs will do with it.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Wired is disappointing, but a single cable is a MASSIVE improvement.

buying this day 1.

if they have any sense, they'd make this compatible with Windows/Steam VR to drive adoption. But not holding my breath on this.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Introducing what? Words? I really getting tired of these basically non announcements. Why is so hard to wait until you are ready to show something?