• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Will miss that delicious OLED screen.

Wasn't a huge fan of the library, but the hardware design was magnifique. I only played Persona 4 Golden, but that alone made the purchase worth it. Wish they didn't have those garbage proprietary memory cards either - I might've gotten more use out of my Vita otherwise.

Last edited:

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Hurry up and make some sort of weird switch clone that can play the entire vita/psp library still, but with a UI that's actually good for once. Throw in a good wireless chip so it can actually stream PS4 games properly. Bam. The perfect handheld.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Been pretty satisfied with mine. Glad I bought it. Weird little machine but its been handling most of the things I wanted without much issue.

Oct 26, 2017
That's it. It's the white flag as far as handhelds go for Sony. Killing Vita in Japan is the last nail. I legit cannot think of any time a system ended, only for a successor to then be announced after.

Even if Sony made a successor, they have a huge uphill battle just by not having an active userbase to migrate towards it I'd think. And we'd surely have heard something by now (even hints) of something if one were to surface next year. The comment above only cements it (I don't think they're holding back such a thing, they likely mean it).

Nov 4, 2017
giphy.gif

I never owned a Vita, but it was certainly intriguing. It was always too expensive to justify in light of its limitations and library. Such a shame.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hurry up and make some sort of weird switch clone that can play the entire vita/psp library still, but with a UI that's actually good for once. Throw in a good wireless chip so it can actually stream PS4 games properly. Bam. The perfect handheld.
Perfect to sell badly again.

Still would buy one tho.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I never owned a Vita, but it was certainly intriguing. It was always too expensive to justify in light of its limitations and library. Such a shame.

when the library includes a huge chunk of ps1 games, all of which look extremely good, not to mention a big chunk of psp games, which also all look extremely good, it's not really all that limited :) ...

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
That's it. It's the white flag as far as handhelds go for Sony. Killing Vita in Japan is the last nail. I legit cannot think of any time a system ended, only for a successor to then be announced after.

Even if Sony made a successor, they have a huge uphill battle just by not having an active userbase to migrate towards it I'd think. And we'd surely have heard something by now (even hints) of something if one were to surface next year. The comment above only cements it (I don't think they're holding back such a thing, they likely mean it).
I think this happened with Switch and Wii U, except the Switch had AT LEAST a lot of smoke indicating its existence before then. And I think NX was known of for quite awhile.

That's the closest to what I've seen to a console ending without the successor out or in sight, and that was largely Nintendo waiting until like 6 months before release to show it off.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I should get a Slim model to go with my OLED just in case.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I think this happened with Switch and Wii U, except the Switch had AT LEAST a lot of smoke indicating its existence before then. And I think NX was known of for quite awhile.

That's the closest to what I've seen to a console ending without the successor out or in sight, and that was largely Nintendo waiting until like 6 months before release to show it off.

Nah, I'm 99% certain Wii U only got axed at the earliest just prior to Switch's launch, and they certainly never hinted at it prior to Switch's reveal.

Edit: Yeah in Jan 2017:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/wii-u-production-ends-worldwide/1100-6447419/

It was close (only 3 months after the proper reveal), but still... we're both right? :P

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to get a new oled vita? I really should get one just in case my og dies.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well, this is a bit sad. Vita's real lovely as a handheld, but I've only used it as a glorified visual novel player.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'll import another one to hang onto. The silver days of play one I got a few months ago is so nice.

Nov 4, 2017
when the library includes a huge chunk of ps1 games, all of which look extremely good, not to mention a big chunk of psp games, which also all look extremely good, it's not really all that limited :) ...
Yeah the PS1 content is what most intrigues me. But then by the time you buy the console, a card and the other accessories you need, you're like AU$400 in the hole.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
:(. Such sad news, especially if they're not going to try again with a new handheld. Can't really blame them but it doesn't really take the sting out of it - the Vita is such a great handheld.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Vita doesn't mean life anymore. It's a damn shame that the PS Vita never became what it could have. Such a promising system. Mine has died so I need to get another one soon.

Oct 25, 2017
Bought 4 Vita's over the years. Still own two, an OLED and a Slim. Bless the 3rd parties for keeping it alive this long and giving it the underrated library it has. I bought more games for it than any other handheld I've owned. I don't even know if I want Sony to make another portable after how they handled the Vita, but I know I'm gullible enough to buy it anyways.

Great piece of hardware, and it's still going to get use out of me for years.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think I played five games on my Vita. Sorry but it wasn't a big success like the PSP was.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I NEVER understood why the PS1/PSP game were limited the way they were. I get certain 3rd parties have licensing issues but many of their own 1st party games weren't available. North America never had Crash or Spyro, which THEY have publishing rights over and it was available in Europe. They didn't have Twisted Metal Head On. You could play Pursuit Force but NOT it's sequel. Just very bizarre.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I have a long enough backlog that I'll be playing mine for years to come...

...well...once I replace my dying 64GB card with a microSD, anyway...

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I'd never sell my OLED machine. It's amazing, with the ability to play PSP games as well. GOAT Dpad too. F