amara

Nov 23, 2021
I've played the Silent Hill's and Resident Evil's but what else would you recommend? I'm fine with fan translated games as well. There should really be a horror game OT on this site.

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY
Siren 1 and Siren 2, also play Siren: Blood Curse/New Translation if you have access to a PS3 - that is a remake of Siren 1 of sorts.
I can't recommend them enough.

Siren 2 only released in PAL territories outside of Japan.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Koudelka on PS1 is an underrated gem. Oh and please please play Hellnight on PS1 as well, still a shit scary game that holds up to this fay

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Here ya go, no need to thank me I just like helping folk.

PCKqkhx.png

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
The Clock Tower series on the PS1 and 2

Rule of Rose (PS2)

Michigan: Report from Hell (PS2)

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Where to even start... what a rabbit hole to go down

I pick Overblood, I love this game so much. Also it has Pipo. Based Pipo the one true king

Be warned that Siren is BRUTAL and do not be surprised if you give up in frustration or have to resort to a guide

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
PS1:
Koudelka (Horror RPG)
Galerians
Clock Tower: The First Fear
Hellnight

PS2:
Extermination
Siren
Demento/Haunting Ground
Rule of Rose
Manhunt

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fatal Frame, Siren, Dino Crisis, Rule of Rose, Parasite Eve, Bloodrayne

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Fatal Frame 2 arguably achieves the level of the Silent Hill and Resident Evil series. The rest of the series maybe not quite at the same level, but the second one I would describe it as essential PS2 horror.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
God I wish there was a modern release of Parasite Eve.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Some personal favorites of mine, a few that I still own.

Fatal Frame 1, 2 (and I guess 3 though I have never played it)
Rule of Rose (I wish I still had this game, it will NEVER see another release... ever)
Clocktower, Clocktower: Ghost Head (aka Clocktower 2) and Clock Tower 3.

As mentioned here: Fatal Frame 1 is an absolute Memory Card hog. taking up over 1MB of a given 8MB memory card out of the box without even considering saving photos. Fatal frame 2 is a bit better, but that first game is NUTS

JaySosa

Nov 10, 2023
Mars
As many have mentioned before me, both Parasite Eve games, first one is a RPG, second one more similar to Resident Evil, both are absolutely amazing (liked the second one more, since I love classic RE)

Fatal Frame series is also great, very immersive.

As for a lesser known game, you could give Echo Night Beyond a try, PS2 FP horror with emphasis on atmosphere.

m.youtube.com

Echo Night Beyond | Full Gameplay Walkthrough No Commentary (All Endings)

Echo Night Beyond [PS2] (Full Game Movie Playthrough) Longplay Gameplay Walkthrough Letsplay. All 4 Endings - True Ending.** PB Horror Gaming. The Original N...

Last edited:

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
I wouldn't call them great, but Fear Effect 1&2 are a thing and are horror. They're guilty pleasures at best.

hopeblimey

Sep 23, 2023
Gregory Horrow Show on the PS2.

It's survival horror, but weird. The characters are blocky sort of like Minecraft, but years before that was a thing.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Going to count Killer7 since it has a PS2 version, but please don't play that version lol

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
PS1 is the best platform for horror games.

RE and SH are peak but we also had Parasite Eve, Clocktower, Dino Crisis and Nightmare Creatures.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Very little that are worth playing today imo. Play Fatal Frame 2 and get bored about half way through.

Parasite Eve is still decent, if you play it on a emualtor and can fast forward through the screen transitions, but it's barely a horror game.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
There's a budget horror game about Mars I always wanted to try. Heard it's not bad either. Can't recall the name though.