IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
cWvDurV.png
Crazy times. I remember a Nintendo magazine comparing SOTN and CV64s graphics and mocking the shit of of SOTN because it wasn't 3D.

My Cow Phelps

Oct 25, 2017
Gregory Horror Show

attachment.php

VERY strange but great game. You are a kid trapped in a hotel full of creepy inhabitants. To escape it you need to collect their souls. You can't attack them so you need to observe them to find and exploit their weakness by interacting with them and the environment. They all have routines determined by in-game time similar to Zelda MM, but less rigid since time doesn't stop when you talk with them, some will chase you if they see you, you can neutralize them (like making them slip on a banana peel), etc. To stalk them you can look at keyholes, follow them from distance, read their diary, etc. You don't have HP but a Mental Gauge bar. The bar is always decreasing by staying awake, but decreases even further if the monsters catch you. You can recover the mental gauge by sleeping, using items, using books, etc. There are 6 status ailments (tiredness, headache, nervousness, confusion, melancholy, darkness). When you catch a soul you can either waste no time and deliver them to Death or hold it for a while to make your Mental Gauge stronger (up to 3 souls), but if you are attacked by the resident who was originally carrying the soul you're holding, they will take it back.

It is an insanely creative game and one of the best horror games of the sixth generation imho.

Nov 8, 2017
Since quality doesn't seem to be a major concern itt, the X-Files PS2 game (Resist or Serve) is interesting. It's a true PS2 exclusive. The final boss as Mulder is a total asshole and we couldn't beat it fair and square, but apparently Scully has an easier fight.

It's a Resident Evil clone, sort of Code Veronicaish in terms of being fully 3d with semi-fixed angles that move a bit. It's got some cool touches but it's not actually an especially good game. It is, however, maybe the least bad game Black Ops Entertainment made. Fans of the series will enjoy seeing the character voiced by their real actors and it brings in a fair few bits of series lore. Chapters 1 and 2 are the most explicitly Resident Evilish, as you explore a small town and a mansion type area.

X-Files ps1 is an FMV adventure game and not a great one as of where I'm up to. I've played through the first disc so far.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Say what now? As in I can buy Haunting Ground on PSN via a PS3 and it runs through BC? If so I might have to make my first console repurchase (still kicking myself I sold my original to this day).

You can on the Japanese PSN, but you'll need an account and a way to add funds to it. Also dunno how bottlenecked the experience will be with the text in Japanese - audio is English.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah that was it. Might grab it, seems to be pretty cheap though maybe that's due to quality lol

It's... alright lol. It's very hard. It has a really goofy mechanic that has a stupid funny conclusion, you play as three different party members ala zap system but *spoilers* they CANNOT touch. Otherwise they turn into a disgusting alien monster in a silly goofy cutscene that makes me laugh everytime.

Gregory Horror Show

attachment.php

VERY strange but great game. You are a kid trapped in a hotel full of creepy inhabitants. To escape it you need to collect their souls. You can't attack them so you need to observe them to find and exploit their weakness by interacting with them and the environment. They all have routines determined by in-game time similar to Zelda MM, but less rigid since time doesn't stop when you talk with them, some will chase you if they see you, you can neutralize them (like making them slip on a banana peel), etc. To stalk them you can look at keyholes, follow them from distance, read their diary, etc. You don't have HP but a Mental Gauge bar. The bar is always decreasing by staying awake, but decreases even further if the monsters catch you. You can recover the mental gauge by sleeping, using items, using books, etc. There are 6 status ailments (tiredness, headache, nervousness, confusion, melancholy, darkness). When you catch a soul you can either waste no time and deliver them to Death or hold it for a while to make your Mental Gauge stronger (up to 3 souls), but if you are attacked by the resident who was originally carrying the soul you're holding, they will take it back.

It is an insanely creative game and one of the best horror games of the sixth generation imho.

Iconic, iconic, iconic. I will always bat for Gregory Horror Show, it is cute stylistic horror perfection. Fun characters, mechanics, art, everything.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
There's Alone in the Dark - The New Nightmare on PS1 too. It wasn't great, but creepy at times

JaySosa

Nov 10, 2023
Mars
Gregory Horror Show

attachment.php

That sounds amazing, thanks! Seems like it's very hard to find though, so maybe I'll just watch a let's play instead.