Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Sony doesn't sell official PS1, PS2 and PS3 controllers anymore on their site. Are there recommendations of third party controllers that are available right now that people can give me? (specifically looking for a PS3 controller)

My original PS2 controller is still in relatively decent shape, although I'm sure my original PS3 controller's battery has long been shot. I could always buy a USB cord extension for that controller, though and use it wired.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For PS1 and PS2, I think you'll be good if you buy any Mad Catz™ controllers, with as much as an unusual shape as possible. /s

Doesn't 8bitdo make adaptors for these consoles?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I like this:

retrofighters.com

Defender

Next-Gen PS1, PS2, PS3, PS Classic, Switch & PC Wireless Controller

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I have not found a solution for PS3 controllers, but I have two more as backups that are still new. The problem with third-party PS3 controllers and adapters is that they don't get recognized by the system when doing a firmware update, and if there's a problem where your system boots into safe mode, you're screwed.

For PS2 I use a Brook adapter and a PS4 controller. Supports wireless connectivity.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I got Retro Fighters Defender it's compatible with PS1/2/3 (without sixaxis support right now).

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have not found a solution for PS3 controllers, but I have two more as backups that are still new. The problem with third-party PS3 controllers and adapters is that they don't get recognized by the system when doing a firmware update, and if there's a problem where your system boots into safe mode, you're screwed.

For PS2 I use a Brook adapter and a PS4 controller. Supports wireless connectivity.
I think there are tons of controllers which, although not first party, are sold as fully compatible with the PS3, including sixaxis functions. They may be low quality, but could be used as a backup for such edge cases.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there's especially a dire need of Ps3 controllers that don't have completely wasted and/or overly loose analog sticks, aren't cheaply produced trash and also have six-axis support.
Working, decent original Dual Shock pads are becoming way too rare nowadays, and i'm really surprised that companies like 8Bitdo aren't picking up the slack right now.

BldyShdw

May 30, 2022
I use the brook wingman usb device to use my ps4 controllers on ps3. Home button works, rumble works, and I like the ps4 controllers much more than the original ps3 ones.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, there's especially a dire need of Ps3 controllers that don't have completely wasted and/or overly loose analog sticks, aren't cheaply produced trash and also have six-axis support.
Working, decent original Dual Shock pads are becoming way too rare nowadays, and i'm really surprised that companies like 8Bitdo aren't picking up the slack right now.
Not that big of a demand honestly. PS3 is not quite retro.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Not that big of a demand honestly. PS3 is not quite retro.
Well, i guess you can lump together all the DSs in one PS-universally compatible single controller, just make it sure it has six-assis support and let it have good build quality, i don't know.
I'm sure there could be some decent demand for that.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I like this:

retrofighters.com

Defender

Next-Gen PS1, PS2, PS3, PS Classic, Switch & PC Wireless Controller
Gonna cosign this. It's the first Dualshock 3 replacement that actually feels nice to use. Haven't used it for PS2 or 1 yet, but the controller port dongle looks solid. IIRC they're working on a new version that includes sixaxis for the three people who need that. (:P)

Does the PS / Home button work?

I've just gotten used to using the PS3 media remote to turn the console on, but I'm pretty sure the home button on the defender does not turn the console on. All other PS button functions work though. Unsure if the upcoming refresh will address this or not. Also I will mention the triggers are extremely sensitive.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna cosign this. It's the first Dualshock 3 replacement that actually feels nice to use. Haven't used it for PS2 or 1 yet, but the controller port dongle looks solid. IIRC they're working on a new version that includes sixaxis for the three people who need that. (:P)

I've just gotten used to using the PS3 media remote to turn the console on, but I'm pretty sure the home button on the defender does not turn the console on. All other PS button functions work though. Unsure if the upcoming refresh will address this or not. Also I will mention the triggers are extremely sensitive.
Dude, how i'm supposed to play Ps3's best game without sixaxsis?

72470-1.jpg

OP
OP

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017

There are very few PS3 games that apparently require Sixaxis functionality. Only one that'd apply to me that I want to play in the future is Ar tonelico Qoga. Sixaxis is needed for the heroine's transformations during battle. In which case, when I come across that, I'll use my original Sixaxis controller and buy a longer extension cord.