More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Resurrected my PS3 mainly for Siren Blood Curse and Splinter Cell Blacklist, but it's also a backwards compatible model so was thinking of getting some PS2 games through Ebay and whatnot to play older stuff I missed.or haven't played in forever

Right now my list of possibilities includes:
- Burnout 3 Takedown
- Silent Hill 2/3/4
- Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
- God Hand
- Fatal Frame 2
- The Thing
- Rule of Rose
- Shadow of Rome
- SSX Tricky/3

Particular interested in horror games and RPGs, those were two genres I never really paid attention to back when I had a PS2

Edit: I'm asking for hidden gem recommendations, the list is games I'm already considering

Last edited:

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Pandora Tomorrow is kind of bad on PS2. You have a PS3, you can play a better version.

Silent Hill 4 is a bad game.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to know this too. PS2 was supposed to be one of, if not the best console ever, but I hardly played any PS2 games.

Soul Unison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
None of those is really underappreciated besides maybe Rule of Rose.

The reason they're "unsung" is because they're PS2 games and it's 2018.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember really liking Primal.

Check out the Maximo games as well. They were well received and sold pretty well, but they seem to have fallen from peoples' memories.

coolasj19

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, Texas
Some of those are the most highly regarded and well known games of all time. I'm sure we have this thread sooner that's undoubtedly super fleshed out.

I'll throw my hat in with Skygunner into the ring. I guess Odin Sphere can tag team.

Last edited:

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The_Red_Star_Coverart.jpg

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to know what to call a hidden gem. I'll just list things that aren't top-tier in terms of popularity:

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
Suikoden III, Suikoden V and Suikoden Tactics
Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2
Radiata Stories
Wild Arms 3 and 5
Atelier Iris 1 and 2, Mana Khemia 1 and 2
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2
SMT: Raidou Kuzunoha 2
Ar tonelico: Melody of Elemia
Growlanser: Generations
Metal Saga
MS Saga: A New Dawn
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love

These are all random RPGs off the top of my head. There's way more, especially if you specify what kind of tone/sub-genre you'd prefer.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Some of these might get high praise but not quite the first games people think of as great PS2 titles imo.

Ridge Racer 5
Timesplitters series (though I think the first is weak)
Bloody Roar 3
Fatal Frame series
Onimusha series
Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks
Mortal Kombat 6 ( Deception )
Tekken 5 (also comes with Tekken 1-3 arcade versions!)
BLACK
Robotech Battlecry
X-Men Legends 1 and 2
Ace Combat franchise
Virtua Fighter 4
Dead or Alive 2 Hardcore
Champions of Norath

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Here's my list of things that may or may not be unsung depending on how much attention you were paying to games during the era:

Amplitude/Frequency
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1 & 2
Breath of Fire 5: Dragon Quarter
Capcom vs SNK 2
ChoroQ
Culdcept
Gitaroo Man
Growlanser Generations
Haunting Ground
Klonoa 2
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
MLB Power Pros 2008
Robot Alchemic Drive
R-Type Final
Shadow Hearts Covenant
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga 1/2, Raidou 1/2
Soul Nomad & The World Eaters
The Thing
Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero
The Warriors

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
I would say this, but you'd have to find a way to play it:
Gregory_Horror_Show_Coverart.png

As a fan of the movie, I also have to mention:
The_Thing_VG.jpg

And since you're looking for either horror games or RPGs, why not get a game that excels on both fronts?
ShadowHearts.jpg

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Rule of Rose might be hard to find, if not expensive....still kicking myself for not buying that game when I had the chance when it was released.

Also, id say Radiata Stories is a hidden Gem

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna second Shadow Hearts, my go to for kind of not much talked about PS2 games. Judgement Ring system is good and Sanity Points system is unique (Decreases each turn in battle and if it reaches 0 the character goes berserk, which effectively acts as a confuse state, however the character will be stronger so they can also do extra damage to the enemies.) Can replenish it with items to avoid characters going berserk, and anyone berserk when a battle finishes will have their sanity points refreshed to full and the Berserk status removed.

Also the series takes place in the early 1900s around and during World War 1 so it's a rare setting in JRPGs.

Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't already played it, I recommend:

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

Over 10 years later and the low poly 3d models still look amazing.
The art design for this game was amazing.

There were a few SMT spinoff games (Digital Devil Saga, Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army) that came out afterwards which reused a lot of the 3d assets from Nocturne but since I haven't played those yet so I dare not recommend them but you can consider them unsung gems too given the really small SMT fanbase at the time. Honestly, I was surprised back then that SMT: Nocturne even got an English release.

The other recommendation I have is:

Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter

The BOF series kind of flew under the radar for a lot of people back then (at least that was my impression) and a lot of people missed out on this game.
The 'horror' aspects of this game aren't so apparent at first, but trust me there's a lot about the game's universe that is very unsettling.
You'll have to replay the game (or restart halfway) multiple times to see everything but it's very very worth it. I really love this game and wish more people had played it.

Btw the US cover for Dragon Quarter is terrible compared to the Japanese release which used an illustration by Akiman.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
The PS2 library is as deep as it is wide, and like Sinfamy said, your picks are definitely some of the best known games on the system.

So here's an alternate list for you, of games that are similar but lesser known than what you've named:
In addition to Burnout 3, why don't you try:
Burnout 2 (I prefer this over 3, for the intensity of chaining burnouts, and shorter but sweeter campaign, plus it doesn't have any EA nonsense in it)
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 (possibly one of the most addictive and mechanically pure Need For Speeds ever made, it's easy to lose this in the shitpile that is NFS)

In addition to God Hand, why don't you try:
Urban Reign (This is a really fun beat em up that is kind of like Die Hard Arcade meets Tekken.
The Warriors (Rockstar's seminal installment in the beat em up genre, the combat is accessible and deep without going over the top. Very faithful to the film too, if you care about that kinda thing)
Bujingai (Devil May Cry run through the filter of JRock and Wuxia martial arts, it is a very flashy, very flamboyant hack and slash you don't wanna miss)

In addition to Silent Hill/ FF/ Rule of Rose (good luck buying that one!):
Echo Night Beyond (this a precursor to modern walking horror-lite simulators that are so popular today... you explore a space station full of ghosts both sad and vengeful)
Ghosthunter (less of a horror game and more of a grindhouse action game, this graphically impressive spooky adventure from SCE Cambridge is hell of a lot of fun)
X Files: Resist or Serve (a completely unsung game, it is actually very mechanically sound in the vein of the old Resident Evils... and faithful to the show if you have any interest)

RPGs that aren't always mentioned:
Sakura Wars: So Long My Love (more of an SRPG, that has visual novel elements, but it's historical fantasy with mecha, and in a way if you like Front Mission or Valkyria Chronicles you might like this)
Radiata Stories (a hilariously lighthearted, sweet JRPG with wonderfully charming characters and a semi open world... one of Tri Ace's best unsung games)
Wild Arms V (a very shounen western themed JRPG with beautiful graphics and a unique hexagon based combat system. The last in the series. Did I mention how unironically shounen this game is?)
SMT III: Nocturne (not exactly unsung, but amidst all the modern googaaing over its spinoff cousin Persona and the original series move to handheld, this is the last great and incredibly difficult console SMT proper)
Shadow Hearts: From the New World (You like JRPGs? a combat system based on Wheel of Fortune? How about Prohibition Era America, filter through the most un-PC Japanese lens possible? If yes, this game is for you!)

Finally, some unique ones that nobody ever talks about:
Skygunner (a difficult to master, charmingly anime, star fox esque aerial shooter that deserves a second look)
Ace Combat: The Belkan War (everyone knows Ace Combat, but this lost installment is actually one of the best. Featuring memorable characters and a sweet spanish guitar soundtrack, don't let this one slip you by)
GrimGrimoire (one of Vanillaware's lost classics, this is a magical academy themed, one of a kind side scrolling vertical battlefield RTS. The characters are sweet enough to give you cavities and of course there's time travel)
Way of the Samurai/2 (unlike most western, modern open world games, this one has a time limit over a number of days, and where you are and who you kill at any given time has serious impact on the story. PLAY IT)

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Resurrected my PS3 mainly for Siren Blood Curse and Splinter Cell Blacklist, but it's also a backwards compatible model so was thinking of getting some PS2 games through Ebay and whatnot to play older stuff I missed.or haven't played in forever

Right now my list of possibilities includes:
- Burnout 3 Takedown
- Silent Hill 2/3/4
- Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
- God Hand
- Fatal Frame 2
- The Thing
- Rule of Rose
- Shadow of Rome
- SSX Tricky/3

Particular interested in horror games and RPGs, those were two genres I never really paid attention to back when I had a PS2

Edit: I'm asking for hidden gem recommendations, the list is games I'm already considering

Haunting Ground is one of the best horror titles I've ever played, if you're going to go out and grab one of the rare PS2 horror titles, I'd grab it over Rule of Rose.

I'd also recommend, Echo Night Beyond, Kuon, maybe Obscure if you want to try a co-op survival horror.

Edit: If you like Deadly Premonition, check out Spy Fiction too. It's also by Swery.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Get the PS2 version of Splinter Cell Double Agent... It's using the Chaos Theory engine and is much better than the 360/ps3 version.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sakura Wars: So Long My Love

Disaster Report and Raw Danger

Nightmare of Druaga

Way of the Samurai

Skygunner

Shadow Hearts

Suikoden V

Suikoden Tactics

Front Mission 4

Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil

Ape Escape 2 and 3

GrimGrimoire

Maximo Ghosts to Glory

Maximo vs. The Army of Zin

I could recommend more JRPGs if you wanted, there are so many good ones on the system.

kenta

Oct 25, 2017
If you're looking for RPGs, the first one that came to mind is Radiata Stories. It actually took me a little while to click with the game when I played it but I really loved it by the time it was over. Super charming and really unique game

For what it's worth, I kinda don't think Nocturne holds up super well today... The controls and movement are super weird, but the battle mechanics are obviously still solid

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
SHADOW HEARTS COVENANT

Horror + JRPG all in one! The best unlicensed Devilman game ever made. Gay bodybuilders, freaky puppeteers, monster transformations, occult conspiracies, historical fantasy, a dog party member and a kickass battle system!

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
For PS2, there are so many guilty pleasure game that i can think of.

Black Hawk Down
Guns
Ghosthunter
Cold Fear
Chaos Legion
Crimson Sea 2
Spy Fiction
The Bouncer
Project Snowblind

etc.

Last edited:

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Only one mention of Robot Alchemic Drive so I'll co-sign that one. Especially if you're a fan of Pacific Rim or Big-O or any mecha property that focus on the weight and size of the machines.

Controls are strange. In short, you're controlling a human who is controlling the mech from the outside. So as the human you need to climb tall buildings to get good vantage point, then switch to remotely control the mech. To move the mech, the shoulder buttons handle the feet while each analog stick controls its arms. It's cumbersome and difficult to get your head around at first. But when it clicks and you rotate the right stick to throw a haymaker knocking a kaiju through ten buildings, it's an awesome feeling.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I keep saying this in these threads but cabella's dangerous hunts 2 is an awesome action fps shooter with bullet time and boss fights, and a crazy twist in the story.

Oct 27, 2017
71doeSbpzEL._SL1204_.jpg

Superbly atmospheric D&D inspired dungeon crawler with level design that wouldn't be out of place in a Souls title.

There was a sequel but the west unfortunately never got it.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Enthusia was incredible - in some ways even better than Gran Turismo. It's a shame it never got a follow up.

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Aside from the tone and style, the actual game play of Rule of Rose wasn't very good when I played it years ago, probably hasn't aged well today either.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
TimeSplitters: Future Perfect is one of the best FPS games of that era. The whole series is good, but 2 and Future especially are worth a try.

Onimusha seems to have been forgotten, I really loved the first game.

Dynasty Warriors 3 is an amazing co-op game with a friend.

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 & 3 were probably the best PS2 licensed games of that era.

Stuntman was a really interesting, fun, and frustrating game many have forgotten. Worth a shot.

The original SSX and Tekken Tag were great launch games.

Killer7, and Viewtiful Joe are solid versions of the GC classics.

Another vote for Way of the Samurai. Extremely unique for the time, very cool game.

Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven was really fun, despite being a little wonky.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Shinobi.

That game is a damn masterpiece to play on higher difficulty.
The fact that you can one-shot everything including bosses when you play perfect is so damn satisfying.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
An Unsung horror game would be Haunting Grounds, not Silent Hills. But yeah, Haunting grounds, a great spiritual successor to the Clock Tower series, and a great game overall. Also best dog in gaming, even if for some reason Capcom was too lazy to remodel it later on for Resi 4.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
I recommend King's Field IV. Sort of 3d metrodvania rpg, like a slower paced 1st person Dark Souls without the multiplayer.

Maybe I'd also recommend Shadowman 2. Much worse than the first but still decent and the kind of 3d adventure game we don't see anymore.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Ar Tonelico 2. Great battle system and ost.

Maximo series. Fun action platformer.