MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
So I've noticed that a lot of the classic consuls have started going out of stock in many stores like Gamestop so I figured I'd check out the price of PlayStation three systems specifically the larger 80 gig models not the backwards compatible one price was below $100 a had some credit so I bought one so it shows up today shipping was fast FedEx delivered even on a Sunday.
I open the box everything looks good I look at the system and I noticed it's not glossy someone whoever owned it before decided to scuffed the system with the scuff pad to give it a matte finish and it doesn't look terrible but then again this is just going on a shelf for my collection so I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't have that original look to it is there anyway to give it some of it shine back that anyone knows of?
I really don't plan to use the system it's to go on my shelf for my collection but I'm just curious what's the reliability like of these 80 GB to USB port PS3 fat systems?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If you want a system just to sit on your shelf why not get a broken one off eBay and use the one they sent you as your player if you ever get to that point?

As for reliability your biggest worry is likely the YLOD On anything that isn't the Slim or Slim 2. Though personally my PHATs were notorious for malfunctioning Blu-ray drives

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you willing to go through the return process? That's got to be less time consuming than attempting a full restoration.

If you're not confident that you'll get a good model from an exchange, then perhaps consider shopping for the shell. If everything else is functional and you just want it on your shelf regardless, check and see if there is a replacement shell on eBay or something

edit: like this one

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I return it.... If you need to know what the system will look like, then ebay will be a good place to look at.

OP
OP
MrBenchmark

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
vRuEROk.jpg
2ay5M2j.jpg

OP
OP
MrBenchmark

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
This one work really good I've tested it it's actually quiet too. I may just find a broken one and replace the sanded parts.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
You should have 0 issues returning it, though you may have issues getting another since hardware is very rare during COVID times. Worst case scenario just hold onto the money until they are more available if you aren't looking to play it anyway.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried to return something to Gamestop a couple of months ago and they never responded to my email

OP
OP
MrBenchmark

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
You should have 0 issues returning it, though you may have issues getting another since hardware is very rare during COVID times. Worst case scenario just hold onto the money until they are more available if you aren't looking to play it anyway.
Yeah they are gone completely now. It's for display only but it's fully functional as are all my displays so I might start the hunt for a good looking junk unit I can swap pieces easy. I'd hate to send back this one I only paid $60 bucks just annoying they certify units like this.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
Yeah they are gone completely now. It's for display only but it's fully functional as are all my displays so I might start the hunt for a good looking junk unit I can swap pieces easy. I'd hate to send back this one I only paid $60 bucks just annoying they certify units like this.
I mean do keep in mind that in this case there isn't really a "they" so much as an individual who made a call in a store to not turn something away to be thrown in the trash and instead send it out to the warehouse to be fixed and sold. Ultimately most people aren't going to care that the system isn't glossy as they likely want the system so they can play video games on it. If you're exclusively shopping for PS3s to be a display, with this tech this old you should have a visual of what you're buying to know it meets your standard. I'm sure there's many kids out there stuck in quarantine who'd love this PS3.

OP
OP
MrBenchmark

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
I mean do keep in mind that in this case there isn't really a "they" so much as an individual who made a call in a store to not turn something away to be thrown in the trash and instead send it out to the warehouse to be fixed and sold. Ultimately most people aren't going to care that the system isn't glossy as they likely want the system so they can play video games on it. If you're exclusively shopping for PS3s to be a display, with this tech this old you should have a visual of what you're buying to know it meets your standard. I'm sure there's many kids out there stuck in quarantine who'd love this PS3.
True although this was a certified refurbished from their Texas distribution center not a direct store trade in.
Was just surprised as other certified refurb unit I've bought have been really nice this was a first.
But for the price I paid I'll make due since it runs really well.

just never seen anyone do that to a glossy console it looks like crap.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
True although this was a certified refurbished from their Texas distribution center not a direct store trade in.
Was just surprised as other certified refurb unit I've bought have been really nice this was a first.
But for the price I paid I'll make due since it runs really well.

just never seen anyone do that to a glossy console it looks like crap.
Trades happen at a store level, then they get sent to the warehouse to be refurbished and either sent back to the store or sold on the website.

OP
OP
MrBenchmark

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
Trades happen at a store level, then they get sent to the warehouse to be refurbished and either sent back to the store or sold on the website.
Perhaps I worded that wrong. Of course they are all store trade ins but there is a difference between the certified ones and non certified ones that are taken in store tested cleaned and boxed for sale. Not every system goes through the refurb centers.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
Perhaps I worded that wrong. Of course they are all store trade ins but there is a difference between the certified ones and non certified ones that are taken in store tested cleaned and boxed for sale. Not every system goes through the refurb centers.
Yeah, but both the systems categorized as "Used" and those categorized as "Refurbished" are things that were traded in at a store. That's why what I was saying is that there wasn't like some corporate decision or a team of Refurb Experts who decided to sell this as Refurbished. It was the decision of one person taking in a system at a store and sending it to the warehouse to be refurbished. Another person at a different store may have turned this away.

jkh13

Oct 27, 2017
GameStop do this themselves, if the console coming in has any scratches, they will sand the whole thing down to make it uniform, it's part of their refurb process. It would be very rare to get a console with the original shiny surface from GameStop now I would imagine.

Your best bet would be to find one in-store in GameStop, I believe they will put any working trade ins on sale in store without refurb so it probably won't be sanded down.

OP
OP
MrBenchmark

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
GameStop do this themselves, if the console coming in has any scratches, they will sand the whole thing down to make it uniform, it's part of their refurb process. It would be very rare to get a console with the original shiny surface from GameStop now I would imagine.

Your best bet would be to find one in-store in GameStop, I believe they will put any working trade ins on sale in store without refurb so it probably won't be sanded down.
Wow that's new and gross. When I was a manager years ago for them that never happened. But that was back around the 360 launch.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
it looks pretty meh but if it works well...idk if its worth it when it could always be worse with these

also you said this is non-BC 80GB model? any reason you didn't get a redesign?

jkh13

Oct 27, 2017
Wow that's new and gross. When I was a manager years ago for them that never happened. But that was back around the 360 launch.
Would not really recommend GameStop premium refurb to anyone, the way they refurbish these broken consoles is a bit of a joke, they are likely to break again very soon.

youtu.be

Here's Why A Refurbished Gamestop PS3 Is A Waste Of Money

Gamestop sells all kinds of refurbished game consoles that are sent out for repair because of some issue making it defective. After it being a certified repa...

OP
OP
MrBenchmark

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
it looks pretty meh but if it works well...idk if its worth it when it could always be worse with these

also you said this is non-BC 80GB model? any reason you didn't get a redesign?
I have a Super Slim with a 1tb SSD that I actually play on super reliable without that slot load drive.

OP
OP
MrBenchmark

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
Would not really recommend GameStop premium refurb to anyone, the way they refurbish these broken consoles is a bit of a joke, they are likely to break again very soon.

youtu.be

Here's Why A Refurbished Gamestop PS3 Is A Waste Of Money

Gamestop sells all kinds of refurbished game consoles that are sent out for repair because of some issue making it defective. After it being a certified repa...
I've watched that yeah I've seen some horror stories until today I've gotten really nice systems.
My Halo 5 Xbox one for instance is pristine.
4rZkDqq.jpg

All my Halo 360's were certified refurb too and look amazing.
g8nx5lX.jpg

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
that is absolutely hideous. I'd be choked too, OP - they should at the very least let a buyer know about that

also, that PS2 slim... just gorgeous. that has to be the fucking coolest looking console of all time

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I've watched that yeah I've seen some horror stories until today I've gotten really nice systems.
My Halo 5 Xbox one for instance is pristine.
4rZkDqq.jpg

All my Halo 360's were certified refurb too and look amazing.
g8nx5lX.jpg
Damn nice collection. You clearly care about quality. I would at the very least find a clean shell. Don't display that ugly matte monster next to those other classics

OP
OP
MrBenchmark

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
Damn nice collection. You clearly care about quality. I would at the very least find a clean shell. Don't display that ugly matte monster next to those other classics
Thank you And yeah I'm gonna find one , I was playing Destiny all day on this thing it runs like a dream. I like to at least test them out. So swapping the shell will get me were id like to be with it.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
lol wouldn't people do this to give stuff a brushed steel look too?

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
Gamestop actually has stickers/skins they use to cover minor cosmetic scratches and damages on newer systems. I've never heard of them doing this to a PS3. It's possible it does happen though most of the ones I've seen looked normal. Ultimately as long as the system doesn't look overly damaged, it's not that important to most people.

OP
OP
MrBenchmark

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
Gamestop actually has stickers/skins they use to cover minor cosmetic scratches and damages on newer systems. I've never heard of them doing this to a PS3. It's possible it does happen though most of the ones I've seen looked normal. Ultimately as long as the system doesn't look overly damaged, it's not that important to most people.
Yeah honestly if if wasn't for the scuff job this would have been perfect this is the best running fat PS3 I've seen in years my old ones that died were loud and ran hot this is none of those it's quiet even the disk drive and everything functions normal. Just have to fix it's looks.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I tried to return something to Gamestop a couple of months ago and they never responded to my email
Same, then i went to the store and they literally told me i can't return it because the computer would give me more money then i paid because i bought online with a discount, I had to open a case with my bank, I think I'm about to be out like $250 in games. I swear they send the worst condition stuff to people ordering online hoping they will just keep it.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
Same, then i went to the store and they literally told me i can't return it because the computer would give me more money then i paid because i bought online with a discount, I had to open a case with my bank, I think I'm about to be out like $250 in games. I swear they send the worst condition stuff to people ordering online hoping they will just keep it.
Gonna be honest, it sounds like you just ran into an employee that either doesn't know what they're talking about or was just being lazy. As long as you were bringing it back within the return window (a month, generally, though it was extended for the time GS was closed for COVID) and had the receipt then company policy would be to return it. It's like two or three button clicks to adjust the price of a return.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
They were either new, or bsing you. You can edit the item prices when you process a return.
Gonna be honest, it sounds like you just ran into an employee that either doesn't know what they're talking about or was just being lazy. As long as you were bringing it back within the return window (a month, generally, though it was extended for the time GS was closed for COVID) and had the receipt then company policy would be to return it. It's like two or three button clicks to adjust the price of a return.
That's what I thought, it's the silliest thing I'd ever heard but then the store leader came out and backed him up, after like 10min of trying to argue how silly it was I got got the store leader to sign a note saying i came in and tried to return it and they refused me so I had proof i went during the return policy and they told me no. Gave that to my bank along with the receipts.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
That's what I thought, it's the silliest thing I'd ever heard but then the store leader came out and backed him up, after like 10min of trying to argue how silly it was I got got the store leader to sign a note saying i came in and tried to return it and they refused me so I had proof i went during the return policy and they told me no. Gave that to my bank along with the receipts.
Employees like that are especially frustrating because GS workers get shit on enough by entitled customers and people who think they make all the rules/corporate choices, but then they don't do the stuff they ARE allowed to do and they just make it harder on everyone else trying to be decent and honest. Like there are definitely things they aren't allowed to change or override. That's not one of them, unless you bought these things months ago.

Not that you did anything wrong but in the future you can always double check with the official Gamestop Customer Service line, they deal more with online orders anyway, and odds are it'll get back to the store leader's boss.