The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
This has been happening for about like a year now but I didn't bother to ask about it because I wasn't using it all that much, until now

So my Ps3 will be off. With the red light on as usual. All of a sudden I hear a triple beep, and the red light is blinking, and it just stays this way from hours, to days, to possibly weeks (I left the Ps3 at my folks' place so it's whenever I'm visiting them that I see this), currently home now and I've been playing my Ps3 a lot for it's BC. What does this mean? For now, I'm gonna just flip the switch on the back if that helps.

Oct 28, 2017
It's just red? It doesn't flash yellow? Mine randomly shut off in 2009. Tried to turn it back on and it started flashing yellow then shut off.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I seem to recall that happening a few times to my slim before, but nothing ever happened. I think you should be safe as long as it doesn't light yellow. For safe measures, though, yeah, keep it switched off at the back. It's not the same, of course, but my PS4 does something similar with the eject button. Unplugging it from the back for a while usually stops it. It happens again after a very long time sometimes, but I just need to unplug it from the back again.
IIRC the later models didn't actually flash yellow did they? Just flashed red.
He's got BC and a switch at the back, though, so it's probably a launch model.

Oct 28, 2017
That usually happens when the console is trying to turn itself off but cant quite manage it. It's possible you have automatic updates enabled, your PS3 turns itself on and when it trys to put itself back in standby mode it struggles. When the light is blinking if you just hold down the power button for a bit you should eventually hear 1 more beep and the console will go off properly no more blinking light.

Oct 28, 2017
Oh wait, this is a launch PS3? Oh you'r fucked anyway. Those things are ticking time bombs. You'r lucky it's survived this long.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry man, my old one started with that, then about 6 months later YLOD. Reflow didn't work or anything. Luckily, you can pick up another one cheaper every day.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Don't listen to others, it's not completely dead and you aren't "fcked". Just take it to someone that replaces the thermal paste on it. And it will work as it used to.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I should have specified in the OP that yes this a launch OG 60gb model
That usually happens when the console is trying to turn itself off but cant quite manage it. It's possible you have automatic updates enabled, your PS3 turns itself on and when it trys to put itself back in standby mode it struggles. When the light is blinking if you just hold down the power button for a bit you should eventually hear 1 more beep and the console will go off properly no more blinking light.
I was gonna say that I would try this out but your next post said that it doesn't matter basically since it is a launch Ps3...but I still wanna try it out
Don't listen to others, it's not completely dead and you aren't "fcked". Just take it to someone that replaces the thermal paste on it. And it will work as it used to.
Thermal paste? I don't know what that is, where would be an appropriate place to take it?

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Its pretty much fucked. U can get it repaired and it will work for a while but will fuck up again. Its a neverending nightmare if its YLOD

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
It's dead. I thought it was the HDD being corrupted but my OG PS3 would still shut off after deleting the data and rebuilding the data base. I could only play Persona 5 from 2 hours to only 10 minutes before it shuts off and RDR will shut off before the game even loads in the title screen.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
"OG 60gb model".

RIP. All the OG models are ticking timebombs. Fix it as much as you like, it WILL die one day.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna say that I would try this out but your next post said that it doesn't matter basically since it is a launch Ps3...but I still wanna try it out
Thermal paste? I don't know what that is, where would be an appropriate place to take it?

It's a paste (usually white or grey) that sits between the processor/GPU and the heatsink, helping to transfer heat from the former to the latter. Often if you change from stock thermal paste to a better quality one you can reduce the temperatures of the processor/GPU which can help the fans do less work and thus make less noise.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
It's a paste (usually white or grey) that sits between the processor/GPU and the heatsink, helping to transfer heat from the former to the latter. Often if you change from stock thermal paste to a better quality one you can reduce the temperatures of the processor/GPU which can help the fans do less work and thus make less noise.
Got it, is this something I can fix myself? If not, where do I take it to that can fix it?

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Got it, is this something I can fix myself? If not, where do I take it to that can fix it?

TBH I don't know - I've never opened a console and I don't know if it will fix the issue here either. What I can say is that the actual process of putting on the thermal paste is easy - it's basically like putting toothpaste on a toothbrush: you typically use a pea-size amount on the processor then put the heatsink back on and try to avoid moving the heatsink while you reassemble everything. As far as getting into the system, putting it back together, etc, I'm not sure on.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
TBH I don't know - I've never opened a console and I don't know if it will fix the issue here either. What I can say is that the actual process of putting on the thermal paste is easy - it's basically like putting toothpaste on a toothbrush: you typically use a pea-size amount on the processor then put the heatsink back on and try to avoid moving the heatsink while you reassemble everything. As far as getting into the system, putting it back together, etc, I'm not sure on.
fuck, man..I guess I could watch a Youtube video on it, but maybe everyone who posted in this thread is right. My Ps3 is doomed to fail

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this is that big of a problem and you don't really have to do anything. It would have been bad if it shut off by itself and then started blinking red.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
RIP, opening it up isn't hard just time consuming. I repaired mine like 5 times and the final time was just to transfer data to a new slim.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure it's the automatic updates to standby issue, mine did that also. It's blinking RED, not YELLOW. It still turns on. it triggers in off state. Literally nothing points towards YLOD...

Just turn off automatic updates/uploads and that should be it.

Edit: That's not to say that day most likely will come.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
If you google this it literally says that flashing red blinks are a feature of the PS3 that indicates that it is pre-emptorily shutting itself down in order to prevent overheating. That likely means either the thing is super clogged with dust and you need to clean it, or the thermal paste is getting a bit fucky and the heat sink may not be sitting properly.

Having had a YLOD on my metal gear solid 80gig, it's definitely fixable. You should probably take it to someone to see if they can clean and re-set everything.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
fuck, man..I guess I could watch a Youtube video on it, but maybe everyone who posted in this thread is right. My Ps3 is doomed to fail
Mine started doing this recently as well. If it is blinking red it means that your PS3 is overheating and it shut itself off to keep itself from being damaged. From what I've read, replacing the thermal paste is only a temporary fix, as it will likely start happening again a few months down the road, and will eventually end in a YLOD. Pretty much all the fat PS3s, even the non-BC ones, are ticking time bombs. You're better off getting yourself a PS2 and a slim or super slim PS3 at this point.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah OP I really wouldn't recommend spending much money in getting it fixed. The OG PS3 design just leads to eventual failure. They last longer than those original 360 consoles did, but they're just inherently faulty.

Fix it once and it will just eventually happen again. If you're invested in having a PS3, then pick up a Slim, or ideally a Super Slim (more reliable and ridiculously low power-consumption = less heat = lasts longer).

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017

Any place that repairs video game consoles on your town/city.
You see on that version of ps3, with the way that the ps3 gets heated the thermal paste that unites the internal components wears off, and that's why it temporarily dies, and needs to be replaced.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I see. Well it sounds like the expense might not even be worth it if it's only temporary and slows down the Ps3's inevitable demise. Damn.

I got so much use out of my Ps3, it would be a goddamn shame for it to become useless junk

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
bump: there is one last thing I need to figure out as my utmost concern with my Ps3: is there a way to salvage the Ps1 memory card data? or is it in some proprietary form on Ps3 HD?

TesservcT

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I guarantee you can find about 50 videos showing you how to open it. What i can't guarantee is that the PS3 doesnt have stupid plastic clips that will break when you open it.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017