• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to buy a PS4 but it's out of stock everywhere. I've checked Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, EB Games, The Source, Shoppers Drug Mart, local game shops, etc. According to NowinStock the PS4 has been out of stock in Canada since March (meanwhile PS5 was in stock yesterday). I've never experienced this before with an old console and it's quite frustrating. What in the world is going on?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to buy a PS4 but it's out of stock everywhere. I've checked Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, EB Games, The Source, Shoppers Drug Mart, local game shops, etc. According to NowinStock the PS4 has been out of stock in Canada since March (meanwhile PS5 was in stock yesterday). I've never experienced this before with an old console and it's quite frustrating. What in the world is going on?
Component shortages effecting everything from cellphones to cars.

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
What in the world is going on?

Are you a time traveler from 2019?
  • Global pandemic driving increased demand for home entertainment devices
  • Extreme weather events impacting production
  • Semiconductor shortage affecting everything from gaming consoles to mobile devices to cars
  • Supply chain disarray, particularly impacting marine freight
  • Trade wars between countries like the US and China, which do have ripple effects on markets like Canada

It's definitely an unusual situation for older consoles, but it's more or less a perfect storm of problems to throw supply chains across the globe out of whack. One reason Sony has been able to still sell 10 million PS5's through all this is by cutting PS4's off the production line.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
It's been more or less like this since the beginning of the pandemic. I don't think they have many resources towards production of PS4 given the component shortages. I'd assume the PS5 is their priority.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I was in GameStop a week ago and bought a perfectly used PS4 someone was trading in for $120. Sold it a week later for $250. That's how bad it is.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I've been looking to get a second ps4 as my family uses my old one to stream Netflix, Prime, Apple TV. Really would prefer to get a new one as opposed to used on Kijiji.

On an unrelated note: can two ps4's at two different locations share the same psn?

OP
OP
Shoot

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
I heard about the microchip shortage but I didn't consider that it could affect old consoles as well.

Regardless the situation seems to be uniquely bad in Canada. Stock seems low in the U.S. as well but not nearly as bad (in stock yesterday on NowinStock).

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
In all honesty, given the performance issues of PS4 base units with newer titles at $379.99 and the PS4 Pro being $499.99 MSRP, I'd definitely recommend a PS5 to save yourself some headache. $629.99 + tax is a bit pricier, but plays games better and is easier to find. Follow https://twitter.com/lbabinz and turn on Notifications. There should be some restocks this week (probably Walmart in the evening in the coming days).

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Someone on the Canadian gaming discord server sold their PS4 Pro with a 2TB drive in it for over $900 CAD. That's how bad the buyer wanted a PS4. 😂

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Holy shit. I haven't touched my PS4 in months, other than to download the PS+ games every month. Maybe it's time to list this sucker. Wonder what I can get around here for a Slim. I managed to sell my X1X for $350 which is what I paid for it new (less tax). Time to do some digging.

EDIT: Just looked, everyone seems to be asking $350 on FB Marketplace, but there are A LOT of them, so I don't know if they're really moving at that price. I'd take $325 and throw in an extra controller though, maybe even a game or two. I feel like I got my money's worth, and had my fun, and I'll have that $325 to put towards a PS5 if I can ever get my hands on one.

Last edited:

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
My PS4 has been disconnected since I got my launch PS5 lol. About to lend it to a buddy along with rdr2

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I was just reading an article related to that.

arstechnica.com

Apple, AMD, and Intel shift priorities as chip shortages continue

Apple, AMD, and Intel each acknowledge their preparation for ongoing shortages.

Companies now need to prioritize "the most profitable and in-demand items [...] at the expense of less profitable and lower-demand items." It means that devices that are not a priority for a specific company – like the PS4, for example – need to get deprioritized so other products can be built. As everybody is fighting for every single chip being manufactured, companies now need to choose.

Also, the situation will not get better soon. It should actually get worse in 2021:
Apple and AMD are two of semiconductor foundry TSMC's largest customers—but the problem isn't limited to TSMC. Intel, which operates its own foundries, acknowledges supply problems of its own. Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger told the BBC that shortages will get worse in the second half of 2021—and that it will be "a year or two" before supplies return to normal.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they're hard to find new in Canada right now, which is good for selling. I was able to sell my Pro last week for $300 (with a Gold headset), and my friend sold both his Pro and Slim for $325 and $200.