Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good.

The PS4 and XBONE were a bit under-powered from the start and I'm hoping we get something with a bit for juice for the start of this generation.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Exclusives will be the heart of battle. Like every gen, in fact.

??? Price and power is what put PS4 over the top to start this gen. Xbox arguably had better exclusives at the start.

It wasn't until later, when the PS4 was easily winning the sales battle, that it also go great exclusives.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
A lot of people were in denial about it in the last next gen pricing thread we had.

Kind of blows my mind given how expensive new tech is generally. Good/powerful things demand high prices.

$499 seems pretty run of the mill to me as far as pricing on next gen consoles go, but I wouldn't be surprised if they sold them at $399.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if he's heard anything about backwards compatibility for the PS5. There are so many rumors flying around...

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know I'll eventually pick up the two consoles...

But I just want to know wth you can play on them Day 1 lol

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Considering how many tweets from pundits and speculative posts I've seen on this very website about how the PS5 is way more powerful or Scarlett has a 21% GPU advantage or whatever, I think it's safe to say that not everyone knew this already.

source.gif

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just hope most of the current gen software that I have digitally will play on these new consoles Day One.

It would be great to be able to trade them in for an immediate upgrade.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really care which one is more powerful as long as they are relatively similar. I would prefer staying within my eco system so as long as PS5 is about the same I will be happy. I'll also be getting both eventually anyway (I can't miss the return of Fable!).

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really want numbers that can actually be verified across more than one person.

It's good to hear someone with a bit of a stake in the business is able to chip in though - I'm a bit bored of unknowns telling us "my friend works at PlayStation 5 and he said it was great and that Lockhart is cancelled oh wait it isn't not cancelled maybe".

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Considering how many tweets from pundits and speculative posts I've seen on this very website about how the PS5 is way more powerful or Scarlett has a 21% GPU advantage or whatever, I think it's safe to say that not everyone knew this already.

I got to agree.

Thanks for the new information :)

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty expected.

I'm just happy we are going to have better CPU's.

The tech demos should be interesting

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Scaling down isn't the same as having to scale up. Anaconda's power will be completely wasted on scaled up Lockhart games.

I'm not sure how this makes sense when it's being said that the PS5 and Anaconda are going to be close in power.

You're seriously saying that multi platform devs would rather scale up Lockhart level games than just do the common sense approach of making PS5 and Anaconda level games and then scaling down for Lockhart?

The 'dumbing down ' theory only works if you assume Lockhart as the baseline for development for both the PS5 and Microsoft's high end offering.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I want actual numbers. The PS5 and Scarlett both being similar in power is common knowledge at this point, and "very powerful" is too vague of a descriptor to be useful.

Deep Friar

Mar 17, 2018
I'm not sure how this makes sense when it's being said that the PS5 and Anaconda are going to be close in power.

You're seriously saying that multi platform devs would rather scale up Lockhart level games than just do the common sense approach of making PS5 and Anaconda level games and then scaling down for Lockhart?

The 'dumbing down ' theory only works if you assume Lockhart as the baseline for development for both the PS5 and Microsoft's high end offering.
If they didn't, then what's the point in it's existence? Believe me, I'd love you to be right, but given the history of console game development...

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
It won't matter if the high-end Ananconda version of Xbox Next is equal to or ever-so-slightly more powerful than PS5 because PS5 won't be hamstrung by a weaker version.

PS5 will be the baseline for Sony while Lockhart will be the baseline for Microsoft.
Add to that, XGS still making their games work on OG Xbone and X1S (and 1X)

Also, don't bother mentioning the new GameCore API/tool, because it won't change much, just like Xbox One getting DX12 support a few years after launch did not make up the power gap with PS4.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
If they didn't, then what's the point in it's existence? Believe me, I'd love you to be right, but given the history of console game development...

The point of its existence is to provide a cheap entry point to advanced gaming experiences.

That's like asking what the point of the RTX 2060 is.
Really?

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If the lower end model is the much more popular SKU then devs absolutely will work as that as a base and then just improve resolution and frame rate for the high end console. It's a concern I have with this approach too.

If the high end model proves to be much more popular then it'll be okay and we'll just get Switch esque downports.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It won't matter if the high-end Ananconda version of Xbox Next is equal to or ever-so-slightly more powerful than PS5 because PS5 won't be hamstrung by a weaker version.

PS5 will be the baseline for Sony while Lockhart will be the baseline for Microsoft.
Add to that, XGS still making their games work on OG Xbone and X1S (and 1X)

Also, don't bother mentioning the new GameCore API/tool, because it won't change much, just like Xbox One getting DX12 support a few years after launch did not make up the power gap with PS4.
If Scarlett and PS5 are practically the same, why do you think they would run the same version?

Your logic doesn't make sense. They're not gonna develop the PS5 version separate from the Xbox version.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
So they'll be exactly as powerful as has been approximated to death during the last year or so. "Very".

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So 10TF would put them in line with Stadia wouldn't it?

In numbers yes, in performance it would be much better. PS5/Scarlett are using the new AMD GPU's, stadia is still using an older model (vega 56 or something like that) and they're still having problems with performance atm.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I like to hear. Powerful consoles close in spec makes things easy for devs and allows us to get some great stuff. Hope Lockhart is handled carefully so that doesn't get messed up.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
It will be interesting to see if Lockhart actually holds back the other machine but until we actually know the plans on how this works and see them in action it sounds like concern trolling or just playing out a console war narrative to dismiss a platform you don't prefer. It's too soon to tell. Devs do very well with Xbox one X hardware despite devs developing for the older hardware. It just depends on how they are designing the SKU

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna blow peoples minds when the console power isn't going to matter when xCloud will have full scene raytracing for every game that supports RT and will be the best version of the game available

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
At least for the first few years I don't see the point of upgrading to Scarlet. It's essentially an Xbox One XX because it will have no dedicated exclusives out the gate. It's different with Sony as the PS5 actually feels like a next gen system because it will have exclusives.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
At least for the first few years I don't see the point of upgrading to Scarlet. It's essentially an Xbox One XX because it will have no dedicated exclusives out the gate.
Depends if you are waiting for 60fps games tho. Outside of normal shooters or racers. That for me is already worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.