anastiel

Banned
Mar 14, 2019
ps5-game-cases.original.jpg

We've had a great time covering some of the fanmade mock-ups of the PlayStation 5 console, its controller, and game cases here at Push Square, and now you can add one more to the list. This creation comes from Reddit user ruddi2020, who has taken it upon themselves to showcase their take on what the PS5's cases could look like on physical shelves.

We really quite like this design. The use of cardboard makes for a slim and sleek look coupled with a striking orange colour used to make the "Only on PlayStation" branding truly stand out. Dying Light 2 and Ghost of Tsushima are excellent examples of how this design could work, although it doesn't incorporate the two-tone use of the PS5 DualSense controller. We're willing to bet that PS5 game cases will use that design as well, but we'll have to wait for confirmation of that.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/04/ps5_game_case_cardboard_mock-ups_are_surprisingly_stylish

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 14, 2017
Square cases eh? Even for a mock that's weird. I do like the orange part though, I can see them using similar just in blue

Deleted member 1105

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've already switched to digital for the most part, but if these cardboard cases are better for the environment, like those SEGA PC game boxes, I'm all for it. I'm sure collectors wouldn't be happy about the cardboard though.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
ooh those look nice

cardstock gatefolds like modern collectible CDs are the future btw

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see what the point or benefit would be in moving away from standard Blu-ray cases.

edit: I mean the standardized shape, not the materials.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Cardboard makes collecting CIB notably more difficult since the cases are a lot more prone to damage over time. I feel like cardboard cases for a disc-based system would be annoying.

I feel like a better "green" approach would be to release games physically in more limited quantities to push consumers to digital as a primary method of purchasing, whilst still releasing games physically in more limited quantities to keep collectors happy. Maybe even just make the digital versions cheaper (or the physical copies more expensive).

Deleted member 62561

Dec 31, 2019
black and orange together creep me out. pass

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
No, no no no no no.gif

The notch thing is horrible in phones and game cases. There's no reason to have a bit more visible on the sides of the notch. Just put a full sliver at the top if needed. Or use a corner.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea of paper boxes in terms of being environmentally friendly. I don't see it happening though.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Using two box arts, ratings and company logos that perfectly match the color palette they're going for makes this seem more a bit unfairly cohesive.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'm all for getting rid of plastic cases. Cardboard is much more environmentally friendly. Or maybe that plant-based product that's like plastic. Would probably drive costs up a lot, though.

personaplace

Oct 29, 2017
While relying on the durable plastic cases of this gen:

Aren't those fan-made dimensions appealing? They look like PS1 games in a loving way.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope the boxes will be black instead of blue. Black just looks better.