Oct 28, 2017
playstation-5-dualsense-controller-design.jpg
sony-playstation-5-console-kleuren.jpg

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I would rather keep it simple

oDlGITu.png
I think the should go the smaller plastic route (I found this in google)
bd1u23gnafs41.png

I like this design because it kinda matches the Dualsense color duality. No I'm trying to imagine if it would work well with a blue case.

Well its gonna be last one (jury's out on Nintendo) so they should go out with a bang XD
These two are the best options. The Switch has the cleanest boxart we've seen in ages while still being easily identifiable. Sony should do the same.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We should be moving away from plastic imo. I know that's a difficult thing to read on a gaming forum but PS sold over a billion games so far this gen. That's a lot of plastic, a product that litterally choking parts of our lands and oceans.

I'm not an eco warrior but I've seen Blue Planet and the world would be better off if giant corps /game publishers moved away from it.

Just my two cents.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Did you make this?

If so, could you (or someone else) make an exact copy of this but with the bar at the top being black with white text? (And a thin white line between the black bar and the artwork.)

I feel like the best and most unique look, matching that of the DualSense, would be:

- white case, same size as PS4 case
- the blue bar/top of the spine on the PS4 case would be replaced with white
- the white text on the PS4 case would be replaced with black

Sorry, I didn't make it.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this a like (I think the case should be black to differentiate from the PS4's blue ). Probably a bit smaller, I'm thinking the width should be around the size of a UHD box. No need to have a lot of plastic if we ain't getting manuals anymore. Then again It will probably have to be around the same size as a PS4 due to the high chances of 2 discs.
On a side note, Are the UHD BD triple layers dics (100gb) cheap to print?

EDIT: A smaller PS5 label like that on this
by Optamizm
qo6646woqjr41.jpg

Hmm, I think a black case is a must if a white label is being used.

Last edited:

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I just hope they go with thinner cases this time around, PS4 cases are chonky compared to Switch/XB1's

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think the should go the smaller plastic route (I found this in google)
bd1u23gnafs41.png

I like this design because it kinda matches the Dualsense color duality. No I'm trying to imagine if it would work well with a blue case.

Like these very much, and yeah I bet too the cases are going to respect the DS (and console) color schemes, so I'd add some blue on it.

Like this.
Oh hell yeah, I love these.

Look very sleek, but clearly lacks the vents necessary to cool down the beast.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The OP ones are pretty good. The square form is nice as well, ditch the rectangles.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
With the Playstation 5 now revealed and going for a bold design that also has primarly white as its color, i wouldnt be surprised if PS5 game cases would have also a White color scheme.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
it still seems like unnecessary excess plastic. Go back to PS1 shape square cases but the depth and style of plastic of blu-ray cases

ps1_fightingforce1.jpg

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Any white and blue design is a pretty unique colour design. Blends in with the console scheme as well.

RichieMythic

Oct 27, 2017
England, UK
I don't see what the point or benefit would be in moving away from standard Blu-ray cases.

edit: I mean the standardized shape, not the materials.

I imagine the UI will have square icons like the current PS4 UI has, designing them this way means they can use the box art as the icon art. With digital probably taking over by the end of next-gen it makes sense for them to approach the cover as digital-first.

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
Would be forward-looking of them to switch to recycled cardboard the way SEGA has recently done with their PC games. From the statement SEGA gave in regards to their press bit regarding the switch, the only reason they didn't do a switch-over on the console side was because of first-party guidelines dictated by the platform holders.
Doubt anything like that'll happen though, since it would eat into their profits. Even if they could no doubt stomach it. In SEGA's case, the new recycled packaging was 30% more expensive than the old packaging they used.

A good bit from Gamesindustry.biz on the matter with Sports Interactive CEO (Football Manager) from earlier this year.

Gamesindustry.biz said:
The studio has a track record of overhauling its packaging in the interests of reducing waste -- it was the first company in the PC space to step away from the "stupid huge cardboard boxes that games used to come in" in favour of DVD cases. With its new eco-friendly packaging, Sports Interactive hopes to lay the template for all future boxed games, and not just on PC.

"I would be very disappointed if everyone didn't follow suit, including console manufacturers for next gen," says Jacobson. "I just can't think of a single reason why someone wouldn't want to have their work in more eco-friendly packaging.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
We should be moving away from plastic imo. I know that's a difficult thing to read on a gaming forum but PS sold over a billion games so far this gen. That's a lot of plastic, a product that litterally choking parts of our lands and oceans.

I'm not an eco warrior but I've seen Blue Planet and the world would be better off if giant corps /game publishers moved away from it.

Just my two cents.
I agree. They should make PS1 sized cases. The long cases are unnecessary. Cut down on the plastic on both sides when you open the case too. It would save an unbelievable amount of plastic.