• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is the magic number.

• sub $399

Votes: 9 0.3%
  • $399

Votes: 371 11.0%
  • $449

Votes: 567 16.9%
  • $499

Votes: 2,075 61.7%
  • $549

Votes: 164 4.9%
  • over $549

Votes: 176 5.2%

• Total voters

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
I don't mean pure dreams, I mean hard business decisions -eating the cost to remain competitive. With the current global issues it'd be very difficult for them to do $399, but the closer (or matching) their price is to the next Xbox, the worse value its going to look like.

To be clear, I think it'd be very difficult for the next Xbox to hit $399 even with MSoft eating costs. The PS5 possibly could stretch to do it.
The PS5 is gonna sell like hot cakes regardless. I'm sure Sony what they're doing.
personally I don't think it makes sense to eat that much cost just to get to thatprice point.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping it's $449, that'd be a very solid price that would likely undercut XBSX which I expect to launch at $500

I voted $449 but I also think $499 is likely

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is amazing that everyone expects the PS5 to be $399. That would be cheaper than the PS4 if we factor 7 years of inflation.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
The PS5 is gonna sell like hot cakes regardless. I'm sure Sony what they're doing.
personally I don't think it makes sense to eat that much cost just to get to thatprice point.

I'm very sure they know what they're doing as well. The only fact is that a price matched PS5 with the next Xbox is a worse value on the PS side at $499. If that's how they'd like to compete, so be it. I know Sony's first party can carry anything, even if every third party is going to show a disparity.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Sony wants ms to go first and announce 499 so they can also sell for 499. They don't want to be in a situation where they announce 499 and ms decides to undercut them and go for 449 or 399. Sony don't want to take a loss unless they really have to.

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
I'm very sure they know what they're doing as well. The only fact is that a price matched PS5 with the next Xbox is a worse value on the PS side at $499. If that's how they'd like to compete, so be it. I know Sony's first party can carry anything, even if every third party is going to show a disparity.
PlayStations brand power alone will get millions to buy it over series X. Games and exclusive features are just icing on the cake

Saidur_Ali

Dec 23, 2019
£449.99, 499,99€ $529.99 will be super appealing in light of its advanced feature set if they can it price it that low. Whatever the price, I think this console will set new console sales records toppling the PS2 comfortably.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I could see them going $499 but if they do I so see Microsoft eating a loss to sell the Series X for $399 though.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
£429. $449
Premium enough without burning too much money. For Sony, hopefully enough to be $50 cheaper then their primary competitor

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Weird tangent that is I'd like to discuss with people...

What colour will PlayStation embrace next gen? Blue again? We know Xbox uses green cases with black/green logos to show the Xbox brand on game cases. Nintendo uses clear cases with red/white logos to show the Switch brand on game cases.

Last gen, PlayStation had clear cases with black/white logos to show the PS3 brand on game cases. This gen, PlayStation uses blue game cases (blu-ray) with blue/white logos to show the PS4 brand on game cases.

Do we all expect them to stick to this? I imagine they will due to their use of blue lighting in the shots of the DualSense we've seen so far. I wonder how they'll tweak it though to make the new games for PS5 stand apart from PS4 games on the shelves. I have a similar thought about Xbox Series X cases too but let's stick to PS5 here :)

Saidur_Ali

Dec 23, 2019
Especially in this economy. Demand for gaming is at an all time high. You can see it with the PS4 Pro as an example and that is being sold over $500 by some sellers and it is out of stock at its retail price in a number of places.

As Sony is a business, they could take advantage of current situation and start selling these consoles at a large profit if they wanted to as well to make up for the PS3 hardware losses ($599.99 price was actually a factor that allowed Sony to compete that generation, problem was rather it costing maybe over $800 to produce initially as well as the really high R&D costs and delaying of launch). Wouldn't blame them as they've got the new hot property in time for holiday season so even $50 to $100 higher than prices I mentioned earlier, I think it has a good chance of selling out really quickly. Kind of crazy that we almost expect them to sell such a desirable device at cost or even a loss when most other consumer devices have high mark-ups that aren't anywhere near as desirable and unique.

Sony's new smartphone is retailing at $1,199.99 and it will be out of date within a year so PS5 even at $699 would be seen as a performance bargain compared to PCs and smartphones. I don't see a problem for a groundbreaking console like PS5 trying to sell at least at cost or at a reasonable profit if they wanted to. Apple got a lot of competition yet they can make so much money on hardware and software still. PS5 has so many unique selling points over the competition this time around so puts them firmly still in the driving seat as long as they don't take the piss too much. Being even $50 or $100 more than a Series X would still be reasonable although it might help the competition gain more share than they would have otherwise and risk losing more on software in the long run. Regardless, I think it will be first home console platform to break 200 million sales.

Demand to try out the new controller feedback, try out true next-gen games, hear the audio difference and interact with the new UI and games at such fast speed will be such wow factors that will get even non-gamers interested to try and experience especially if they have a lot of time to still pass. For gamers, eradicating so many frustrating elements of gaming and heightening immersion will drive a new level of engagement.

Sony have been so kind these last couple of generations especially subsidising PS3 cost massively (PS5 probably could have been 20 Teraflops, 32GB Ram, and 16 Core CPU at similar PS3 launch hardware costs) and also selling PS4 at the price they did when they could have risen price by $50 or $100 given the strong performance of the console relative to its price point at the time which would have lead to them not having to eat the development costs so much and lead to a profitable launch year instead of a loss. They even gave away recently some decent games for free. Personally I hope they price PS5 as keen as £449.99 or even keener as I don't have any shares in Sony. I just hope I can get one for launch whatever the retail price may be, sure beats what the scalping prices are going to be!

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be bold here: I'm predicting 549+ . Maybe even 599+

I know they'd still be taking a beating by selling it for so cheap, but they are better off than selling at 499 or lower. I don't see how they make up the cost of these things efficiently @ 499. That's too low. The economy being where it's at could be a big argument for 499. However, Sony seems to already have made up their mind on price. They've already made comments about "value"/price:

"I think the best way that we can address this is by providing the best possible value proposition that we can. I don't necessarily mean lowest price. Value is a combination of many things. In our area it means games, it means number of games, depth of games, breadth of games, quality of games, price of games... all of these things and how they avail themselves of the feature set of the platform."

This makes me believe that they are aware they may be pricey out of the gate, but will seek other ways to create value.

We will see for sure, but I do not think it would be wise to announce a price at their event in June. Not yet. But this is confident Sony we are talking about, and they seem firm on whatever number they have in mind... They might just go for it.

OP
OP
hitme

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
Last chance before tomorrow's event.

Gonna eat crow if price doesn't get revealed.

edit: I'm betting on two versions. 1TB and 2TB difference.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
All those custom chips to get that SSD to work as well as it does won't be cheap, on top of the apparently large cooling system. I'll go with them going £50 above what the Xbox comes out at, they can't risk going £100 more so will have to eat any losses.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Unless it's $399, I don't think they'll announce it tomorrow. And if it's not announced tomorrow then my guess would be $499.