• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I did not expect prices to drop this fast. I swear a few weeks or maybe a month ago I made a post somewhere about how I'll probably start taking a look once 2GB hits below $150 regularly...

Then I see this today:

slickdeals.net

2TB Crucial P5 Plus M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen 4 Solid State Drive SSD $123 + Free Shipping

Various Retailers have 2TB Crucial P5 Plus M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen 4 Solid State Drive SSD (CT2000P5PSSD8) on sale for $122.99. Shipping is free. Available:Newegg $122.99Backordered, but can stil ...

You can buy a heat sink separately or purchased a version that comes with one for roughly $10 more.

I don't really have a need to expand my internal memory yet since I'm already making use of an old external SSD I have to hold a ton of PS4 games.

Others may want to hop if if they've been holding back on buying, but I can see prices dropping a little further in the future.

Last edited:

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I bought one for my son last year, haven't got around to installing it. Can buy one twice the size for ~the same price now lol

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Makes people shitting on Cerny in the PS5 hardware speculation threads and release threads look utterly stupid. Man knows what he's doing
Only understandable complaints are size, design, and coil whine. I'm not sure if he can even do anything about the design, which is subjective, and I personally like it. Coil whine seems to be manufacturing tolerance issue since mine doesn't have it (granted, I don't have the best hearing). Size makes the slim model more valuable. 😂

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've been seeing Wario64 mention them almost daily for a while now. I've already got a 1TB one in my system, which is more than enough for now, and by the time I need to upgrade, the 2TB ones should be more than affordable for me.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Yeah that's pretty cracked… I play a few live-service games on and off, would be nice to not have to delete and re-install everytime I felt like jumping into one of them

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the PS5 nvme solution has been absolutely fantastic. I bought a 1TB nvme in late 2021 for $180 on a gamestop price error and thought I scored. Then I bought a 2TB samsung 980 pro in summer 2022 for about the same price and thought I really scored. Now I see 2TBs for $150-170 on the regular and think how crazy it is, even seen 4TB drives for under $380 a few times now.

Meanwhile I have a 1TB in my series X and would like to upgrade it to 2TB but its never, ever, ever been below like $380 and its actually gone out of stock most places now, microsoftstore doesn't even sell the 2TB model. I really like the xbox series X but microsoft screwed up big time by making the expansion storage proprietary and giving an exclusive deal to Seagate. There STILL isn't a second mfg of expansion storage, its so weird.

nvme drives are great though, when I built out a new PC I bought a mobo that has 4 nvme slots so put the extras I had on my PC. If/when I buy another round of 4TB drives I can take my older 1TB and 2TB drives and use them as cache drives in my NAS server.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Going with an industry standard SSD is the best thing they could have done. I didn't think it would have been possible when they released Road to PS5, sounded way too custom, but they did it and we're reaping the benefits.

Edit: Wait, what am I thinking? Cerny announced SSD expansion during Road to PS5, he just said SSDs that met the speed requirements didn't exist yet.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Part of the reason I buy my games more so on PS5 (which I've added a 2TB SDD)is because of storage. The Xbox storage is ridiculously priced so I'm still on the stock SDD alone and having to consistently manage its free space is a hassle.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Makes people shitting on Cerny in the PS5 hardware speculation threads and release threads look utterly stupid. Man knows what he's doing
If there's anything to be said, it's that us enthusiasts are decidedly more focused on short term material reality vs people who are paid to make long-term decisions.

Like , do you think in two years people will still be saying Sony and MS should've just let the hardware sit in a warehouse for a year so developers could grapple with development with COVID.

Not saying that by default they're perfect, but man do we routinely show we don't know what we're talking about at all.

Jun 25, 2022
Part of the reason I buy my games more so on PS5 (which I've added a 2TB SDD)is because of storage. The Xbox storage is ridiculously priced so I'm still on the stock SDD alone and having to consistently manage its free space is a hassle.
Yeah that has to be the biggest oversight MS made this gen. They really need to do something about those SSD prices.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't bought one since I've been going strong with the internal memory but its nice to see that they're so cheap.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still good with the internal storage. I don't need more than like 5 games installed at a time. But it's good to know if something changes (like games get a lot bigger) then I can pick one up without breaking the bank.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I love this, but I also recently got access to 2GB download speeds, so it now seem meaningless to keep games installed when I can download 100GB in less than 10 mins

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I will be upgrading with the PS5 slim and I expect prices to be even cheaper. What are the chances of Microsoft adding a m.2 slot in their slim model? I just don't see my self ever upgrading my series X SSD if it doesn't. Right now I use a 5TB external drive on it.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
Yeah, around PS5 launch a Samsung 980 Pro 1TB was +- €230. Now the same SSD costs €90, or €150 for the 2TB version.

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Yeah, this month I upgraded from 1TB to 2TB, I still could've skated by the 1TB (still had ~300GB left), but I saw a 2TB drive for the same price I bought the 1TB one back then and I jumped in. Now I'm confident that if I eventually need a bigger drive in the future prices will be reasonable.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I did not expect prices to drop this fast.
Before launch I was pretty sure we'd start to see good pricing for comparable SSDs around the 4 year mark, was amazed when prices started to get reasonable before the 2 year mark. I'm not yet at the stage of needing to upgrade - had to shuffle and delete a couple of times recently but not enough to put some cash down - so holding out a little longer for prices to come down even more.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, easily one of the better decisions on the PS5 vs the X|S. I briefly defended the X|S like a moron. I think their SSDs are still neat, but proprietary storage will always be more expensive, but I definitely didn't expect it to be 3 times as expensive.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Before launch I was pretty sure we'd start to see good pricing for comparable SSDs around the 4 year mark, was amazed when prices started to get reasonable before the 2 year mark. I'm not yet at the stage of needing to upgrade - had to shuffle and delete a couple of times recently but not enough to put some cash down - so holding out a little longer for prices to come down even more.
There has been over-supply for SSD chips as well I believe, that have helped with the current pricing.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
iirc they said other manufacturers would be able to make their own too and competition would bring the prices down but I dunno if that's happened yet
Even if they were to do this the massive install base of the PS5 + PC is the main reason why these SSDs get so cheap. I fear that without PC in that picture the prices won't be that much better :(

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
There has been over-supply for SSD chips as well I believe, that have helped with the current pricing.
Well now you're making me consider if I need to get something sooner rather than later! Might have to keep a more keen eye on prices, keen to push it out til later in the year if I can.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Well now you're making me consider if I need to get something sooner rather than later! Might have to keep a more keen eye on prices, keen to push it out til later in the year if I can.
Manufacturers have indicated that they are cutting shipments but the over-supply issue is so bad, analysts estimate the price could hit 50% by the middle of the year. Maybe the summer sales will be even better than last holiday.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Another great design decision by Cerny. Sony learned from their PS Vita mistakes.

I remember during the early days of the PS5 and Series X launches people criticized Sony going this route because something something installing the SSD was "way too complicated" for the average user. That MS going proprietary for quick swap in-and-out functionality of their SSDs makes up for the "initial" higher prices. 2.5 years later and it looks like those "initial" prices weren't so initial. Imagine criticizing Sony of all companies for NOT going proprietary for once. In hindsight, looking back, a lot those arguments were just console warring in disguise.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It was a smart move that you can tell was gonna help prices as the OEMs trip over themselves to get a piece of the console market for storage expansion.

The Xbox solution isn't so bad, what's bad is that it's only 1 OEM that can control the price. Give other OEMs the go to do a similar expansion drive and those prices will come down as well.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
I did not expect prices to drop this fast. I swear a few weeks or maybe a month ago I made a post somewhere about how I'll probably start taking a look once 2GB hits below $150 regularly...

Then I see this today:

slickdeals.net

2TB Crucial P5 Plus M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen 4 Solid State Drive SSD $123 + Free Shipping

Various Retailers have 2TB Crucial P5 Plus M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen 4 Solid State Drive SSD (CT2000P5PSSD8) on sale for $122.99. Shipping is free. Available:Newegg $122.99Backordered, but can stil ...

You can buy a heat sink separately or purchased a version that comes with one for roughly $10 more.

I don't really have a need to expand my internal memory yet since I'm already making use of an old external SSD I have to hold a ton of PS4 games.

Others may want to hop if if they've been holding back on buying, but I can see prices dropping a little further in the future.
P5 Plus doesn't need a heatsink
www.techpowerup.com

Crucial P5 Plus 1 TB Review

The Crucial P5 Plus is the latest flagship SSD from Crucial. It is built using a new in-house PCI-Express 4.0 controller made by Micron, paired with the company's state-of-the-art 176-layer 3D TLC NAND flash. At $180, the Crucial P5 is priced similarly to the offerings of WD and Samsung, but...

In the PS5, leave the cover off the NVME port, and you get some decent cooling from the PS5 fan. further negating a need for a heatsink.
www.tomshardware.com

PS5 SSD Upgrade Temperature Testing: Do You Even Need a Heatsink?

And will any M.2 NVMe SSD work well enough?

**Please note, some SSD probably should have an heatsink, if you are doing a lot of write operations. But, the P5 Plus is not one of them.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
This is just a continuation of what they've been doing on consoles with the PS3, PS4, and PS5 having user-replaceable storage to increase what you have available to you that gets cheaper and bigger over time.
I think this is different because they purposely made an expansion slot versus giving user access to replace the existing drive. However, you are right.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
I purchased a WD_BLACK 2 TB last July and just installed it like last week, lol. I also broke one of the little connectors on the underside of the PS5 panel. That thing is not easy to pull off, even with following the YouTube vids.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
The Xbox solution isn't so bad, what's bad is that it's only 1 OEM that can control the price. Give other OEMs the go to do a similar expansion drive and those prices will come down as well.
I think they could simply just make an enclosure that plugs into the expansion slot and allows you to put any NVMe drive you want, however Microsoft loves their partnerships/sponsorships so Seagate exclusivity it is.

magatsu124

May 11, 2018
i got a 1tb NVMe SSD on sale for 79 on amazon only to realize it was a little slower then what was recommended and it didn't have heat sink. I bought a heat sink and installed it anyway and haven't had any issues with it.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Where I live those SSDs are still expensive af, granted this is more of a weak currency issue but those reductions bode well for the future. I'm starting to get some friction with the amount of storage free on my PS5 (though I'm dumb for installing a bunch of games I've yet to want to play).