Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I can't be the only one that feels that way? What happened to the "What's New" tab from the PS4 dashboard? It was nice to be greeted with a lively tab to see what everyone was up to, from what new games your friends were playing to what trophies they recently unlocked.

On PS5 on the other hand I don't know what anyone is up to unless I scroll to the friends tab and look at the very minimal information it provides. When they were last online, what they are playing right now, and if I want I can manually dig into their trophies. Basic funtionality that was standard in the PS360 generation.
How in this day and age Sony decided to do away with a little social interaction on their console dashboard is beyond me, but I'm still keeping my hopes up they will surprise us with a robust UI update soon, to again make the UI experience a little less solitary.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
PlayStation UIs are always a step back from the previous gen until Sony slowly drip feeds them back to what they were.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
No, you're right. I noticed it quickly. That being said, it's lower on my list of priorities they work on. I want to see stuff like completely redone quick menu, a "quick resume" function, and other needed functionality/UI changes first.

Teddie28

Nov 2, 2017
The game hub confuses the hell out of me. Why does it show old parties before all my friends?

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Sony always removes features for their UI in their new hardware and then bring it back afew years down the line. It's how they like to "add new features" to their UI.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
I dislike it in the current state as well. One thing that drives me nuts: you cannot see private messages well anymore. I constantly forget to reply to people because I miss the notifications.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I have a lot of little issues with the UI but this is not one of them. I don't give a crap about social features being front and center.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
OP hit the nail on the head, 'isolated' is the perfect term to describe it. I really miss seeing my friends' activity. Especially in times of a pandemic it'd be nice to feel a little more connected to my friends.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Just let me hold the PS button to turn of the console, man.

And let me get to the trophies quicker

JCADX

Oct 29, 2017
I just want folders back, i have many demos and VR games filling space while in PS4 they were organized.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
Looks good as design but is really bad as functionality.

When I push the PS button it takes like 2 second to open the control menu...

Trophy section is a mess.

No "news" area still for europe

No folders

Party system is confusing

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
They do this every generation and it's mind boggling. I get wanting a new shiny OS for the new generation, but removing features from the previous generation and then slowly adding them back is weird.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Can't even see patch notes or history of patches lmao

what the fuck are they doing

This bugs me the most. I love to have a unified place to check patch notes, especially if there's a specific issue I need correcting.

Of course, I'd think this was maybe a dev request or something. Half the time the patch notes were just "Various Fixes".

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
I dislike how hidden are trophies. You can't read them easily or see how many people have got them without double clicking on each of them.
Lack of themes is also super disappointing. I had some excellent ones on PS4.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
That's Sony for you. Every UI since the PS3 is always brand new, and then you have to wait for features that used to be on the old UI. Waiting for folders on the PS4 was the worst.

I'm prepared for the three year wait for PS5 folders lol.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I dislike how hidden are trophies. You can't read them easily or see how many people have got them without double clicking on each of them.
Lack of themes is also super disappointing. I had some excellent ones on PS4.

This as well. I hate the new horizontal, big-box layout of trophies. It's way harder to go through, and it ruins all the cute "make a big vertical picture" icons for some PS4 games.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, also, you STILL have to download the game after moving from Disc to Digital. How is that still not sorted?

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
I miss themes/UI music.

Trophy sound is underwhelming, sorting trophies is bad.
It feels sterile and not very personal.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They do this every generation and it's mind boggling. I get wanting a new shiny OS for the new generation, but removing features from the previous generation and then slowly adding them back is weird.
I imagine it has to do with backend code stuff, right? I mean, there has to be a logical explanation for this.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
You've got to be one of the few people I've ever seen actually liked all of the What's New info on underneath a game card on the PS4. That shit slowed things down so much when just browsing the dashboard games.

The ps5 ui is the worst console ui since the Xbox one launch
This take is so hot my arm is seared like a steak.
Can't even see patch notes or history of patches lmao

what the fuck are they doing
You can see the notes on PS4 games but not PS5 games. The system is so ass backwards.
This is the absolute truth, here. Granted, there was also a trend towards games not putting actual patch notes and just "go to our site to view the notes" like Destiny, Overwatch, etc did. I was hoping maybe with the newer system they'd be able to give us a link to open the web browser and view them, this time.

Just let me hold the PS button to turn of the console, man.

And let me get to the trophies quicker
I'm surprised the option to choose how the long and short press functions work like the PS4 had. This is one of the many things that makes me wonder if they started working on the PS5 UI a lot earlier into the PS4's life and just never rebased functions from it. Sort of like how Bungie started with a much earlier version of Destiny for Destiny 2 so almost all of the changes made later in TTK and Rise of Iron weren't there. It would certainly explain the lack of folders, background customization, etc rather than just a simple "they rushed it" that is almost as equally likely.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I thought What's New would have gone under the Explore bit when it was first shown. But nope. That's just for news from the blog. That's the biggest miss for me.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But tons of content creators and gaming media outlets praised the PS5 UI as truly feeling "next gen" 🙃

You know, simply because it was different. It's serviceable tho, can't complain much for my usage.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The only thing that really bothers me is the lack of folders, besides that I don't really have issues browsing through the UI (not like I spend much time on it anyway, so maybe that's why I don't find other issues).
You can see the notes on PS4 games but not PS5 games. The system is so ass backwards.
Oh, so this is why I couldn't find what was new in the latest Crash 4 patch. I thought I was missing something.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I actually love it.

But I don't do multiplayer and trophies are a distraction I don't want.

But I'm weirdly anti social when it comes to gaming. Cross game chat was a nightmare for me as I had friends wanting to talk while I'm playing a different game I liked it when they couldn't talk to me unless we were playing something together.

Main reason why I'm set to appear offline with all notifications disabled.

MrMiyamoto

Oct 31, 2017
I for one don't care what any other single human is doing on their PS5. I suppose if it was a feed of capybaras playing or something I might be interested, but this is my game console and I feel capable of seeking out the social feeds of others if need be instead of being beat across the face with it.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have problems with how counterintuitive it is. I also cannot understand why when I push the PS button theres like a two second lag for when the bar and cards actually show up. It is sluggish for some reason...

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
The PS5 UI feels super sterile and corporate to me. I honestly don't know why, I mean I prefer the steam interface, and that literally is built as a storefront that also happens to launch games. The only thing I like about it the PS5 UI is the snappiness, which is probably a function of the SSD integration more than anything else.

Jan 10, 2018
It's incredibly ironic that gaming consoles of all things struggle with this, concidering user interfaces are used in like every single game. There's no shortage of inspiration and feedback is there.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I find it quite nice.

The only thing that I miss is faster way to put the console into rest mode.