Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Why are people saying "I'm glad I don't see Ads anymore". No one is talking about ads, OP is talking about seeing what their friends are up to, which was a major function of the What's New window. In fact, the Explore app on PS5 is just Ads and it's the first thing you see anytime you do a cold boot.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, I'm a pretty solitary gamer most of the time, so its fine for me. Glad it feels so much smoother than previous ones (at least in regards to the store and whatnot).

Oct 31, 2017
The only things I miss are folders, themes, a web browser, and a proper media player. Everything else is an upgrade to me.

I never cared for the What's New section of the PS4 UI. I like the snappiness and presentation of the new UI better than the old one.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
I really really dislike PS5's UI and I think you nailed why that is. I used to love booting up my PS4, seeing the activity, and idling on the dashboard to the beautiful Tetris Effect dynamic theme and music. I'd chill in my living room doing whatever else while that kept me company in the background (not like I was turning it on for that purpose). It felt... homey. And it was also much easier to get around quickly and find what you're looking for.

The PS5 dashboard is ugly, less intuitive than PS4, isolated, and either deafingly silent or heavy with depressingly low energy ambient music (easily darker and moodier than PS3, PS4, and PSV's default ambience imo). Not to mention bogged down, from the moment you turn it on, with marketing and low res splash screens for shit you don't care about. And not to mention the awful integrated PS Store.

The starting splash screen with the particles is so nice and opens with that happy little chime. I'm so disappointed they didn't follow those elements through the rest of the UX.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Also no one cares if you're antisocial gamer. It's very easy for you not to see the activity if you don't want to. Don't add friends or block them. For those that want to keep up with their friend's activity, there isn't an easy way to see it.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Whats New is gone? And trophys are more outta the way? I'm fine with that. Never did care for how PS4 defaults to Whats New upon startup.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
It's really nice visually and I guess I'm one of the few who don't really care to see what others are up to all the time so I'm fine with What's New being removed. That being said, there definitely needs to be some changes and improvements to it:

-Bring back the update history for PS5 games
-Ability to have the library set to show installed games only
-Add folders
-Add more customization to the home screen
-Make the PS Button Great Again (long press for controller/power/control center shortcuts like PS4)
-Make Party Chat Great Again (easy to voice chat and create parties with people)
-Put power options next to the settings icon on the home page (shut down/restart/rest mode)
-Some settings pages should be merged and reorganized
-Ability to turn off cards
-Ability to turn off HDR per game
-Allow us to move PS5 games onto an external hard drive
-Speed up opening the Control Center
-Redo Game Base (change the name to friends list/party chat, ties back into Make Party Chat Great Again)
-Redo Switcher (give us the ability to swap through more than just the previous 2 games and media applications)

Morrdji

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 16, 2021
Them redoing the OS is so dumb in hindsight. Just giving themselves unneeded complications and work. Coulda put those resources elsewhere.