• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How excited are you about PSVR as a platform heading into next generation?

• Very excited

Votes: 211 76.7%
  • Too early to say

Votes: 40 14.5%
  • Not Optimistic

Votes: 24 8.7%

• Total voters

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Looking at the specs of the PS5 and the rumors floating around about PSVR2's specs has me incredibly excited about the future of console VR.

Sony confirming backwards compatibility was the best thing out of the wired article. I cant wait to see how much clearer and cleaner old PSVR games become and it would give me a chance to revisit the fantastic library. Playing Superhot, Resident Evil 7, Moss ,Astrobot,Falcon Age etc.. in a brand new shiny coat.. Yes please!

These specs also seem to indicate that VR games designed with PS5 in mind would have a considerable visual boost over the PS4. Maybe Open World Console VR games will be playable and no longer look super grainy.

I am soo excited! How are other PSVR owners feeling now? Are you super optimistic about PSVR heading into next generation?

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Yep! Completely the same. I am so glad that I will literally get to unplug my PS4 and just plug my headset into the PS5. I can't wait to see what VR games look like on it!

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
It makes me...worried?
Sony desperately needs to make a real controller for VR and ditch the move controllers, but if the old games are going to work and the old headset works, you kind of have to support the Move. And if you are supporting the move...why should we waste time making a new controller?
The Move has a ton of limitations- the camera needing to see the orbs so if your hands leave the camera it breaks, zero analog stick support, etc. if they were making a clean break to a PSVR 2, I could see them saying "here is our new controller, RIP Move". But with the weird split on generations, probably all future VR games will have to work with move

I'm thrilled I get to keep using PSVR, but I'm worried that it will prevent them from fixing the devices biggest flaw

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sony desperately needs to make a real controller for VR and ditch the move controllers, but if the old games are going to work and the old headset works, you kind of have to support the Move. And if you are supporting the move...why should we waste time making a new controller?
Because their possible new VR controllers could work in place of the Moves?

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/29/sony-patents-detail-vr-motion-controller-concepts/
dims

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
It makes me...worried?
The Move has a ton of limitations- the camera needing to see the orbs so if your hands leave the camera it breaks, zero analog stick support, etc. if they were making a clean break to a PSVR 2, I could see them saying "here is our new controller, RIP Move". But with the weird split on generations, probably all future VR games will have to work with move

I'm thrilled I get to keep using PSVR, but I'm worried that it will prevent them from fixing the devices biggest flaw

The new VR controllers will presumably work with the backward compatible VR games on the PS5

Oct 25, 2017
Need to try on the new headset before I get excited. Was all set to buy PSVR before launch, then played a GameStop demo and cancelled my order. Screen door was way too pronounced for my taste.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Should be good.

There are plenty of things they could improve from headset/conroller tracking, eye tracking, controllers, FoV, resolution and so on. (To more outlandish things like plenoptics etc.)
In general I do except a more mature VR experience with significant jump in view and audio quality.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
During the holidays of 2017, I bought a rift over a psvr at the same price on sale. I thought it made more sense to me. I love my rift but can't help but be a bit regretful in light of all the support sony has given the psvr. If psvr2 on ps5 can play psvr games, I'm there. I'm already getting a ps5 day 1, so the choice is easy.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm conflicted because I really do think the hardware needs an upgrade, at the VERY least the Move controllers. But I also have a Vive so everything I think is from the perspective of having access to hardware that was originally like twice as expensive as the PSVR, if not more. A hard cut-off in compatibility on the PS5 could've been the impetus for a refresh.

That being said, honestly the hardware has worked well enough for everything I've played on it, so overall I put "very excited" because I like not having to spend more money.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More excited about those VR "mode" become full game next gen without the limitation of PS4 hardware.
Like AC7 and GT sport get a patch and fully playable in VR on PS5, also more full game like RE7 that can play on both 2D and VR.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
As a potential psvr 2 buyer I'm delighted. It means Sony are supporting VR properly and not dumping it like the Vita. Gives me confidence the sequel will get good software support.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very very excite and extreme optimistic ;) Cerny hit all the right notes in that interview, of course we now nothing about PSVR2 yet, but Sony will not screw this up imo.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
It was always base ps4 holding back PSVR with the need for parity, Now with PS5 it will truly have the power to make it more easier for devs.

All we need is new controllers, PSVR2 is no need to rush to market, 2-3 years away hopefully.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah underrated part of the annocuncement is PSVR backwards compatibility.

Can't wait for RE7 to look crisp and games like GTSport and the whole library, to get a nice bump in picture quality. The future of VR looking pretty good.

Oct 27, 2017
Its great, and i'm quite happy that its compatible with future PS5 vr games.

However, it doesnt mean that PS4 games will be upgraded. Not sure why you would think that

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
As an early adopter i'm super happy that I will be able to use my PSVR on the PS5!
This means probably that also games will be forward compatible I guess!
And that new VR games will be compatible with the PSVR! (at least untile PSVR2 comes out)
I personally dont expect a better graphic for older games already released. They would need a patch.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Its great, and i'm quite happy that its compatible with future PS5 vr games.

However, it doesnt mean that PS4 games will be upgraded. Not sure why you would think that

Not necessarily, but there is no reason to think developers couldn't patch older games to benefit from the new hardware. It's not a given, but certainly not impossible.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't own PSVR and and probably won't jump in until they release a successor to it. By that time I should have good idea on whether VR gaming is a mainstay or just a side project. Need more games like RE7 and Astro Bot and less glorified tech demos.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Plot twist, there is no PSVR2 for PS5, it's a standalone headset like the Quest.

It would make me very happy, and everything else unhappy. Which in turn will make me even more happy.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's purchased a lot of PSVR titles, I'm thrilled by this news... it alone almost makes PS5 an autobuy for me.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it needs to be stated that the Spider-Man load time demo that got everyone hot and bothered was reprogrammed, though ...

It will be interesting to see what, if any, improvements will be present in PSVR PS4 games ... either when using the existing helmet on PS5 or using the inevitable follow-up helmet.

I wonder if there will be across the board upgrades or if it will only be for games that get specifically patched or what...

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
I think this is great for PSVR.

I fully believe that the current PSVR headset will be supported through PS5's lifecycle I mean why wouldn't it? They can release PSVR2 with fancy inside out tracking and higher res screens but why would the games also not support the old headset too? It's only a peripheral really so games would still work on it just at a lower res vs PSVR2. It's tracking is different but it's still just inputs which Sony can handle under the hood with the PS5. So they can keep PSVR as the budget headset and get price down to $100 or something while PSVR2 is the flagship.

Controllers can still be handled as they are now with devs choosing which controllers they support so Move2 can be added easily with whatever tracking methods they settle on for them.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
hopefully they can add software that can downsample/sharpen without a patch, so every title can get some iq improvements automatically.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Very excited but I felt burned when I heard the PS4 Pro was coming out. So long as they keep a steady stream of games while PS5 is maturing, I'm gonna hold off jumping until the PS5 Pro comes out to replace my PS4 pro.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
I think it's a great extra to be able to use the old headset...but I'll be pissed if we don't get a seriously upgraded tracking solution for those who want to upgrade.

I still get swimmy controller tracking no matter what I do (and I'm not redecorating an entire room it the hopes of improving it), I still get headset drift, I still go out of range too often, I still have to move the camera too often between certain games.

If it's lightbulb tracking again I'll likely go elsewhere. You should just be able to just turn it on and have it work perfectly first time, regardless of the game.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
My question:

Is Sony going to continue to develop PS5 PSVR games in parralel to standard PS5 games? Also, will they launch PSVR 2 at the same time as PS5?

Launching everything at once feels like the type of split focus that leads to a platform holder losing track of what is actually important

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I don't own one but NMS will be the title to push me over. That'll be the tipping point where there's enough high quality title for me to warrant purchasing one - as long as it's at the right price.

I'm kicking myself because I saw one in a trade-in store over the Easter holidays for £110 and was umming and ahhing over whether to buy it. I couldn't tell whether it was the V1 or V2 model so held off.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
My question:

Is Sony going to continue to develop PS5 PSVR games in parralel to standard PS5 games? Also, will they launch PSVR 2 at the same time as PS5?

Launching everything at once feels like a split focus, which is the exact type of weakness that could weaken their offering overall.

That's what worries me abiut them still focusimg on PSVR.

I very much doubt there'll be a PSVR 2 until at least a couple of years into the PS5's lifecycle. As you say it distracts from their main focus which will be getting the base console into peoples hands.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I very much doubt there'll be a PSVR 2 until at least a couple of years into the PS5's lifecycle. As you say it distracts from their main focus which will be getting the base console into peoples hands.

That's certainly what they should do, but if they wait two years to release anything worthwhile for PS5 PSVR, then I could see PSVR customers feeling left behind, it's a bit if a pickle. I'd wager on them releasing the new headset at launch, or a year afterwards.

Having said that, Dreams in PS5 PSVR, with a higher res (4k?) Display sounds amazing.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Quite excited, since we will probably benefit with better iq and framerates , for current games, as if played on ps4pro, or maybe even better, and we may also benefit from new controllers that substitute the move controllers, and that may release shortly after ps5 and ahead of the new headset that will probably release 2-3 years into ps5 lifespan,
So we may be playing old games (and ps5 vr games too,with better visuals), and using updated controllers with the most expensive part, the headset, still usable

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I just hope they ditch the move.

Being able to use the PSVR1 but having to buy the new controllers sounds like a fair deal.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
That's certainly what they should do, but if they wait two years to release anything worthwhile for PS5 PSVR, then I could see PSVR customers feeling left behind, it's a bit if a pickle. I'd wager on them releasing the new headset at launch, or a year afterwards.

I'm assuming that the current headset will work with the PS5 so I think for all bar a small minority that should suffice for a while. Maybe they could release a V3 of the current unit that manages to bring the price down further. TBH I'm assuming that the PS5 will come with some technology that'll do away with the need for the PSVR processing unit and you can plug it directly into the console.

57fd090d4046ddf8008b5005-750-423.png

If you look at all the current cables you could hopefully bring it down to 1 or 2 if you can build the hardware into the actual console. Just a cable from the console to the headset and one to a power socket. Maybe even one if they can power the headset through the PS5 itself.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
57fd090d4046ddf8008b5005-750-423.png

If you look at all the current cables you could hopefully bring it down to 1 or 2 if you can build the hardware into the actual console. Just a cable from the console to the headset and one to a power socket. Maybe even one if they can power the headset through the PS5 itself.

PS5 will get USB3.1 and that alone will cut cable down to 1.
All they need to do is sell you an adapter that plug into that usb-c port and we can throw that breakout box and extra cables away!

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It makes me...worried?

Imo, it'd be a good idea for Sony to launch new motion controller around ps5 launch and the 2.0 headset later.

Current psvr is like that too, the head set, camera and controller are sold separately. It really help to give impression that vr is cheaper than it actually is since some people already have camera and moves and only need to buy headset.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I don't feel any different about it. Although interested to see how just having a more powerful console will improve the clarity of the headset keeping in mind it's limitations. Will it require that games get patched or just automatically result in better image quality?Getting rid of the blur for things in your direct field of vision would be huge.

I bought it around launch so I could use it for re7. Awesome experience but not worth that early adopter price tag to me so far. The moves were and are still an absolute ripoff.

Had very little play recently outside of astrobot so far. But I know that's on me for not trying more things to get a better return in investment. I want to try eventually play stuff like Tetris, beat saber, and super hot but not sure if I'll keep the thing or try and sell it until we get more details. Some of the quality of life stuff between v1 and v2 is also annoying not to have and gave me buyers remorse haha

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
PS5 will get USB3.1 and that alone will cut cable down to 1.
All they need to do is sell you an adapter that plug into that usb-c port and we can throw that breakout box and extra cables away!

Yup. That's why I'm thinking the PSVR 1 will be good enough to start with. I believe the inferior screen quality won't be that big an issue for a while if you can get it down to just one cable. It'd also be a hell of an advantage in the VR space.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
All I know is that if it has foveated rendering and a much higher pixel density screen, then combined with the power of PS5 we could truly see BETTER graphics in VR than you'll be getting in standard 2D games on a TV screen. That's astonishing.

Even if that doesn't come to pass whatever level of upgrade combined with PS5 power will see a massive improvement in visuals. I await the full GT Sport game playable in "high def" VR.

It's really good to hear that Sony are supporting VR going forward, it keeps the naysayers and doubters from piping up, lol. As I say though, if we can get foveated rendering then VR is set for a monumental improvement, combined with a hopefully far better tracking solution would make PSVR competitive with most of the best devices you could get on PC, with arguably a better line up of games thanks to some of the exclusives.

Edit: also you can imagine GTAV:VR remaster next gen since we got Skyrim this gen. How cool would that be.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I just hope they ditch the move.

Being able to use the PSVR1 but having to buy the new controllers sounds like a fair deal.
Since you'll still be using the PS Camera for PSVR then Move support for PS4 games seems like a given. I think outside of those scenarios though you will be expected to upgrade your Moves to a new one with better tracking for all ongoing PS5 VR games. I hope!

Yeah the tracking really does need improved and hopefully the next headset and controllers will feature a proper solid tracking solution, but I do expect the full PS4 VR setup to work as is for PS4 VR games on PS5.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It makes me...worried?

VR is fairly well abstracted so eg someone with a vive or WMR or rift can play the same games. Ultimately you're moving your head and hands around which translate to coordinates to the game

PSVR could give much better tracking (my guess is like oculus S style) and potentially still be BC with PSVR1 games. The moves just end up being 'wobbly' coordinates back to the PlayStation so could be replaced with more stable coordinates from a more robust tracking system

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course I'm excited. I'm interested if the setup will be a case of using the entire current setup or implementing the headset into some sort of new camera/controller setup that brings a big step up in terms of features despite using an older headset. To me the former would infer it's more focused on legacy content but the latter would hint at it being used as a choice and supported throughout the PS5 lifecycle, potentially a budget option. Obviously there are pretty big engineering problems with both of those.

VR is easily the thing I'm most interested in with PS5.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
PSVR is my VR solution of choice (or necessity, really, because i don't have / want a powerful PC in my living room)

As long as they make the PS5 compatible with VR headsets ootb - i.e. no weird processing box and cable salad - i'm super excited.

It would be so "Sony" though, if they launched PSVR 2.0 with the 'second gen' Move controllers that come with MicroUSB, still - like they launched 1.0 with the mini-USB controllers.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Its exciting to be honest this means VR will be keep getting support and its pretty obvious this is leading to PSVR2. Anyone who want's to jump in to VR I would say wait till PSVR2 just to be smart with your money. Not that its not worth it now but this just tells developers its ok to invest into more VR games.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
If it has something like boost mode, RE7 with its dynamic res is going to benefit immensely. That alone makes me excited for it.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I just got PSVR within the last month, so I'm happy that I'll be able to continue using it next gen.

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
Super excited! I can't wait to see Wipeout VR on the PS5. The main thing—besides entry fee—holding VR back is graphics. If the PS5 is truly capable of 8K, I can't wait to see the quality upgrades in PSVR games next gen.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I will probably still upgrade when the better kit becomes available but it means theres 0 reason to hold on my ps4, thus I'm far more inclined to get a ps5 instead of a xbox. Better is it also implies newer vr will work with my older games, and as someone who needs my astrobot and tetris this is great news.

God I wish we had vr chat tho