• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019

With the latest updates installed, Death Stranding requires just over 49 GB of free space on your PS4, but you might want to make sure you leave some extra room for your save files, too. With a save system that intentionally catalogs dozens of auto-saves, it certainly caught us off guard when the save folder climbed to hundreds of megabytes--close to 900 MB, for some of us at GameSpot. In addition to eating up potentially precious storage space, this can also make transferring your lot of saves to the cloud an unusually lengthy process.

When compared to other PS4 save-file folders, it was unusual to find examples that breached the 100 MB mark, though there are certainly games that do. No game, however, based on sorting through numerous GameSpot staff PS4 profiles, came close to Death Stranding's lofty sum.

When asked about the state of the save system, Sony confirmed that it is behaving as planned, so don't expect this to change anytime soon. Thankfully, if your hard drive is in need of a little breathing room, you always have the option of going in to manually delete any auto-saves you wish. In doing so, its possible to cut the folder down to roughly 15 MB. Just keep in mind that number will steadily creep up as you play--playing through the opening mission brought the save folder up to 54 MB, for example. If you must, make a habit of deleting excess files often to keep this folder in check.

SOURCE

Thankfully I have like 10GB of excess space left, but I think it's a good idea to keep deleting some auto saves as you go along.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, I could have sworn I've had some games take up roughly a gig for their saves.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
900MB is not that much, I'm pretty sure NBA 2K has savefiles up to 5GB. Not sure on PS4, but definitely on PC.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good to know, I'm transferring data from my old pro to a new one and would've been caught short.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
900MB is big... but honestly I've seen much worse in the last few years. Headline made it seem like it takes like 5GB or more lol.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I'll need to check my storage, but I did some fridge cleaning just a month or two ago, so I should be good.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, 900 sounds like A LOT. But reading other comments I guess not. Haven't bothered to look at size of saves since when? PS2 and the 8MB memory card?

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
That file size is a lot smaller than I thought it would be given that a whole article was written about it.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
900mb isn't even that big? Some of the older WWE 2K games were far above 1GB, I think other sports titles had this too.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Ok....most of my saves are about that big I believe so seems to be normal to me? Good heads up I guess?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That's not too unusual at this point. Was expecting more from the title.

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
wonder why it has to store so many auto saves? most games just overwrite the previous auto save, oh well I'm sure its like that for a reason and 1 gig is really nothing

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Sounds kind of like the Fallout 4 autosave situation. At least on PC; I never played the console version.

Even when you hard saved, you still had like a billion different autosave files.