• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Regulus Tera

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I got a refund from Nintendo this morning on this game. Didn't take too much time really, very convenient and low hassle which was nice. They just like to say that they really don't like giving out refunds. lol

This is giving me second thoughts about pre-ordering Monkey Ball even though it's a different part of Sega.
I'm on the phone with Nintendo right now and it's taking surprisingly long. The representative says that they are aware of the situation at least.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
This is taking forever to process, so here's a gif preview

gitchgif.gif

The noise is from gifcam, everything else is really in there

That's the style people want in new 2d Mario.

AngelSkye

Jul 25, 2018
The PlayStation version has some of this glitches as well. How is the PC port?
From my personal experience, apart from the sound issues (which seems to be a thing across all versions), and a short freeze (just for a second or two midway through Asteroid Coaster, though I'm not able to reproduce it so it cud be just a one off thing), it's been a pretty decent experience.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah, it's worth remembering that Sonic Team appears to be a rotating door of contractors and this was farmed out to who was probably the lowest bidder. Sega in general seem to mostly be doing fine when Sonic isn't involved.
How long has this been a thing? Was just talking to someone about the dev stories that came out of Sonic Heroes and Sonic 06, and it should surprise no one that those were rush jobs. Sonic Forces doesn't even have the soul that those games had, it just feels like someone had to make a Sonic rip-off for another market and was made legit by SEGA halfway through development.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Sonic Colors Ultimate Review Thread Sega - Reviews

Well, haven't seen much in this thread about the PC version so I'll chime in. The graphics settings are bare bones. All you get is a resolution selection, Fullscreen, Windowed, and Borderless Fullsecreen selection, and V-sync on or off. Changing between resolutions or display options can cause...

OP
OP
Regulus Tera

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how this is gonna impact Nintendo and Sega relations going forward. It really seems like it got automatically certified without any oversight from Nintendo.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how this is gonna impact Nintendo and Sega relations going forward. It really seems like it got automatically certified without any oversight from Nintendo.

It might not have. I can repeat the flashing images and complete meltdown of graphics all the time on 1.0.3, but I can't on 1.0.0. The version Nintendo reviewed might not have done any of this.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
A member literally demonstrated the worst glitches on real hardware on the very page you posted on. The Yuzu guy is now irrelevant to the conversation
I posted a real hardware video minutes later as well… it's still worth discussing IMO since the yuzu person nuked their account, presumably due to being attacked by the fandom. I didn't say Yuzu was the cause of all glitches.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
None of the PS4/5 or XBO bugs I've seen are anywhere near the level of the Switch ones, FWIW. I did see a couple stories about the game freezing and corrupting itself but those seem to be very rare because they haven't been reported nearly as much as the Switch stuff.

Still fucking sucks the game was released in the state it's in on any platform let alone the Switch version.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
I'm getting really annoyed at the people using the emulator guy to claim that all the glitches are exaggerated or not real

The dumbest is that the fake glitch is not even one of the worst, it was only about Sonic t-posing, for people complaining about others lying about the performance they sure are doing the same thing

SkekesisVR

Jan 2, 2018
I'm getting really annoyed at the people using the emulator guy to claim that all the glitches are exaggerated or not real

The dumbest is that the fake glitch is not even one of the worst, it was only about Sonic t-posing, for people complaining about others lying about the performance they sure are doing the same thing

well there's some X factor going on that is unknown at the moment. Because I have the switch version and played 4 hours last night without any graphical glitches

I thought maybe it could be caused by the cosmetic items, but playing around with that doesn't trigger it for me either

as a game developer and someone fascinated by ports, I kinda want to experience it once but can't so far

Oct 27, 2017
well there's some X factor going on that is unknown at the moment. Because I have the switch version and played 4 hours last night without any graphical glitches

I thought maybe it could be caused by the cosmetic items, but playing around with that doesn't trigger it for me either

as a game developer and someone fascinated by ports, I kinda want to experience it once but can't so far
Do you have the latest patch?

JavelinR

Mar 1, 2018
None of the PS4/5 or XBO bugs I've seen are anywhere near the level of the Switch ones, FWIW. I did see a couple stories about the game freezing and corrupting itself but those seem to be very rare because they haven't been reported nearly as much as the Switch stuff.

Still fucking sucks the game was released in the state it's in on any platform let alone the Switch version.

Isn't the Sonic IP ironically most popular on Nintendo systems now'n days? I wouldn't take a lack of PS4 and XB1 reports as a sign that issues there are rare. There just may not be as many people to do the reporting. (Also the media feedback loop has focused on the Switch since the Yuzu guy.)

It's probably safest not to trust any version of the game run until some patches come out

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Here's how I can replicate it at will, only on 1.0.3 so make sure you have the latest update (or don't, it seems to work better on 1.0.0) I do have purple gloves and shoes on from the cosmetics, but that's it

1) After you unlock Aquarium Park, go to every planets map and exit out of them once they've loaded in to go back to the planet map and finally go to Aquarium Park

2) Load in Aquarium Park act 1 and enjoy the shitshow

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People keep saying about how better video games were before, and SEGA took it to heart by giving you a Sonic 06-quality title in this modern day and age.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have the Switch version and haven't encountered any major bugs. Seems a bit sussy.

This has worked for me every time.

Here's how I can replicate it at will, only on 1.0.3 so make sure you have the latest update (or don't, it seems to work better on 1.0.0) I do have purple gloves and shoes on from the cosmetics, but that's it

1) After you unlock Aquarium Park, go to every planets map and exit out of them once they've loaded in to go back to the planet map and finally go to Aquarium Park

2) Load in Aquarium Park act 1 and enjoy the shitshow

FulcrumTK

Oct 6, 2020
It's disgusting that people spreading are "it's just because of emulators" around just because they're salty about others dunking on the Sonic franchise.
The worst take of the thread, congratulations.
People are at risk of actual physical harm or death here. This is bigger than people being mean to your favorite corporation. Grow up.

TheJoebro64

Sep 6, 2020
So I've done some talking to others with the Switch version and the bad seizure glitches apparently require VERY specific setup to pull off. It's not something that'd happen in a normal playthrough.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I've done some talking to others with the Switch version and the bad seizure glitches apparently require VERY specific setup to pull off. It's not something that'd happen in a normal playthrough.

They don't. It'll happen after enough worlds if you play straight through. It's how I came across it the first time.

Even just indecision about which world you want to play will cause it since you just have to load a few of the planet maps to trigger it.

Jun 1, 2021

I'm curious, what makes you think people are lying about these glitches to make it a "bit sussy" in your words? I've seen multiple different people replicate these issues in various different ways. Not to mention that Nintendo and Xbox are refunding the game due to these issues.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's disgusting that people spreading are "it's just because of emulators" around just because they're salty about others dunking on the Sonic franchise.

People are at risk of actual physical harm or death here. This is bigger than people being mean to your favorite corporation. Grow up.
Precisely, comparing "shovelware" with this is disgusting, it makes no sense to put it in the same bag.

This is something fucking serious and to compare it with inoffensive games of the eShop that you don't like it's not acceptable

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Is there any statement from Sega on how fucked this is?

There's no way these seizure inducing glitches weren't caught by QA. And for Sega to go ahead and put this game out with no warning (or at all tbh) is fucking lethal. It was shit with cyberpunk and its shit here.

And for sonic fans to accuse people trying to protect others by saying shit like "it's on an emulator" "no normal playthrough would lead to these glitches" etc. is absolute bullshit and they should be ashamed.

TheJoebro64

Sep 6, 2020
I'm curious, what makes you think people are lying about these glitches to make it a "bit sussy" in your words? I've seen multiple different people replicate these issues in various different ways. Not to mention that Nintendo and Xbox are refunding the game due to these issues.
I've been playing the game on Switch for two whole days now and haven't encountered anything major aside from a single crash and audio issues.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Forget Sega, this had to have been missed by Nintendo. This is the kind of thing that should fail certification. Looking at steps to reproduce it in this thread, it seems to be the kind of thing that's just common enough for lots of people to find but rare though to plausibly miss.

I imagine that probably wouldn't be the hardest thing ever to fake, though given the Tweet posted above with the clips in the Switch album, I'm inclined to think that's not what's happening here.
You can fake videos in the Switch album too fwiw, though obviously we have enough evidence now.

I think this confirms now that there just isn't any certification on the Switch platform, if a dev uploads a game, it's instantly accepted.

I mean, nothing really new with this shovelware eShop but good to have further confirmation.
No.

Certification isn't curation. Cert is just supposed to mean the game isn't fundamentally broken - especially in a way that could damage the Switch - or otherwise go against Nintendo's policies. 'Shovelware' has nothing to do with it.

I do believe this should've failed had it been noticed by Nintendo though.

Um.... I would be worried about this game frying my hardware.
That's not really a concern here.

The bugs being seizure inducing isn't really a 'take' though, it's just facts. I don't think there's anything wrong with shutting down a take saying this was expected because Nintendo allows shovelware on their store.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Forget Sega, this had to have been missed by Nintendo. This is the kind of thing that should fail certification. Looking at steps to reproduce it in this thread, it seems to be the kind of thing that's just common enough for lots of people to find but rare though to plausibly miss.

You can fake videos in the Switch album too fwiw, though obviously we have enough evidence now.

No.

Certification isn't curation. Cert is just supposed to mean the game isn't fundamentally broken - especially in a way that could damage the Switch - or otherwise go against Nintendo's policies. 'Shovelware' has nothing to do with it.

I do believe this should've failed had it been noticed by Nintendo though.

That's not really a concern here.

The bugs being seizure inducing isn't really a 'take' though, it's just facts. I don't think there's anything wrong with shutting down a take saying this was expected because Nintendo allows shovelware on their store.
Based on what we know the seizure-inducing stuff is seemingly caused by changes made between version 1.0.0 and the version the game is currently at, so it really depends on which version they gave Nintendo and reviewers to play.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Hasney
Honestly your videos with the broken Sonic Model are absolutely hilarious once you get past the seizures.
fUb2Us1.jpg

They should make Paper Sonic: The Origami King

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
With some evidence that the bugs may have actually been introduced in a patch, it's plausible it didn't go through full certification if I understand the process correctly.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Someone needs to put pressure on the platform holders to have a zero-tolerance policy on potential seizure-inducing visuals. CP2077, Balan Wonderworld, and now this have all managed to get through cert and there's no way in hell they should've.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Crazy how this went from a port with questionable design and aesthetic decisions to an all out shitshow in the span of a couple days.

Of course it'd happen to one of the very few 3D games in the series I actually give a shit about, lmao

Oct 27, 2017
So is the Switch version actually better without the patch? If so that's pretty weird. I have the physical version coming in (Amazon price dropped it actually). I'll have to try the game out without it to see.