• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you love most about the NSO borders?

• Their distracting allure

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • Their ugly gradient aesthetic

Votes: 44 15.2%
  • They remind me that mediocrity can be rewarded with financial gain

Votes: 68 23.5%
  • Screen burn-in

Votes: 115 39.8%
  • The lack of options for any design other than the fucking gradient

Votes: 47 16.3%

• Total voters

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
The Nintendo Switch Online app is one that surprised me. There may be a slow rolling out of games, but I actually use the app quite a bit. It's a great way to experience classics that I never would've taken the time and/or money to buy through the eshop, or find a way to play through other methods. The emulation is mostly all solid now, and the games play as remembered.

So why the fuck is this ugly ass distracting border still here?

N5B76Cf.jpeg

It's on every game, looking the fucking same each time. It stares back at me to remind me that yes, someone was paid not only to create this ugly ass gradient, but to not even allow me the option to turn it off. Or to change it to some other design that might even be equally or more ugly!

There was a brief glimmer of hope when I played Goldeneye on the app, as there was a widescreen option there. But nah, only available for that game, nothing else.

The big excuse is "oh, I'm sure its primary function is advertising so whenever you take a screenshot, everyone knows it's from the NSO app." Ok, but the Switch allows for developers to apply a watermark to their games!!! Nintendo couldve done the same here!!!

Shit drives me crazy, and I will never not bitch about it. Maybe they'll fix it when I'm dead. But for now, I am living in hell.

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It's not happening, bud.

Same with button mapping. Nintendo is stubborn AF.

I want button mapping badly. Y/B is superior to B/A for NES and GB/GBA.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
Easy, just press the Zoom-button on your TV-remote and stretch the game to 16:9 đź‘Ť

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I don't actually mind the gradient, I find it tasteful and sober.

however the avatar with photon white outline is very distracting. *hyperbole alert* it feels like a violation of my retina.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely don't care about the borders, though I guess I don't use the app all that much either way.

wamoss

Aug 11, 2022
It's such a huge bungle that you can't even edit controls either. Big reason why I hate playing gba or n64 games on the thing.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
You'd get screen burn-in (actually, some kind of reverse burn in) even if you got black bars instead. Theoritically.

pete_clarf

Oct 25, 2017
They are always the exact same size so make two beautiful drawings and tape them to your TV. Or, better yet, commission a local artist to make two beautiful drawings and tape those to your TV.

Edit: you can also do this in handheld mode. Just gotta make the beautiful drawings smaller.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's dumb but the gradient is one the least offensive official borders I've seen. It could definitely be worse.

The player icon is bad though and should probably only be there when playing multiplayer/online.

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
Easy, just press the Zoom-button on your TV-remote and stretch the game to 16:9 đź‘Ť
Disgusting...

They are always the exact same size so make two beautiful drawings and tape them to your TV. Or, better yet, commission a local artist to make two beautiful drawings and tape those to your TV.

Edit: you can also do this in handheld mode. Just gotta make the beautiful drawings smaller.

OLED burn in on my Switch and C1 is the real concern. I'm not bothered by the icon/frame at all when playing games.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Brb, I'm off to commission an artist to draw me two beautiful black bars

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Yup, I hate it OP. And the main reason I don't play more classic games on switch.

Let us get rid of the freakin player icon in the top left Nintendo!!

Last edited:

New002

Oct 25, 2017
Do I wish we had different options? Yes.
Are they as bad as you say? No.

This. The Gradient is fine imo and at least it's done in a clean way that increases contrast (as opposed to a different border method that would make it worse/super distracting).

The player icon is what's most problematic imo (and the bottom bar but you can turn that off).

You'd get screen burn-in (actually, some kind of reverse burn in) even if you got black bars instead. Theoritically.

Also kind of this, assuming OP is referencing OLED sets. Black bars will cause uneven wear on the panel since those pixels are all "off." Not sure how it is on more modern displays but on my old C6 it's very noticeable when I jump from say 4:3 to widescreen, or either to full screen content. You can see a hard line where the black bars were and any imagery in said areas is a slightly different... saturation I guess.

Last edited:

Luneth

Aug 5, 2020
I can tolerate the side borders, after a while I don't even notice.

But the bottom one, that's awful, it gives a cheap aspect to the emulator imo. I'm glad we can at least turn that one off.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
It's horrible. That and the lack of simple button remapping were some of the reasons I finally decided to pickup a Steam Deck and emulate that way. So much better.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about this the other day, and my best guess as to why this persists is that Nintendo wants a constant visual reminder that you're in an app wrapper for some kind of usability reason. I don't really like it, but I could kinda see this being the case.

I intentionally set my avatar to be as dark and low-contrast as possible since that is the only thing I can even partially control here. I always look at the new avatars on offer to see if any are almost totally black or grey.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
It sucks, considering the 3DS has the option to play classic games without a border. And at least there you get the option of cute faux-handheld borders, instead of an ugly gradient.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I am weird, but I have never understood this turn off the borders. What does turn off the borders mean in this case? Stretching the screen?

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I hate it too. I would probably honestly play more games on NSO if it didn't have the borders, as silly as that sounds. I just prefer having black borders for 4:3 games in general.

Maybe I am weird, but I have never understood this turn off the borders. What does turn off the borders mean in this case? Stretching the screen?

It would mean turning off those greyscale borders on the left and right so it's just black on the sides, nothing else added.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
It'd be wild if Switch just had a device that let you easily display the video feed somewhere else, like another screen of your choosing, some kind of docking system.

(I agree that forcing the icon to constantly display in the corner is dumb as hell, lmao)

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's attitude toward my top 3 nso app gripes

1. Release more games? Lol no
2. Turn off borders? Lol no
3. Organize and properly size our tiles? Lol no

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
It's awful and a major reason I play on Steam Deck instead. Some element of customisation should be cruicial to any emulator.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017

On OLED specifically, if you just had true black there, you wouldn't have any brightness from the edges, the pixels would effectively be off. It would be such an improvement over having the gradient. Would also be much easier on the OLED itself, if you play for long sessions. So TV or the switch oled would benefit.

This is the annoying part about Nintendo. Small QOL changes would be great but they just get overlooked or ignored forever. There feels like there is no feedback loop from the customer to Nintendo at all.

Defending the gradient is silly too. You could have both.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
On OLED specifically, if you just had true black there, you wouldn't have any brightness from the edges, the pixels would effectively be off. It would be such an improvement over having the gradient. Would also be much easier on the OLED itself, if you play for long sessions. So TV or the switch oled would benefit.

No, you would want grey bars for an OLED. With black bars the pixels would effectively be off so they would not age along with the pixels in the middle causing brightness levels to differ. Solid Grey bars were an option on Plasma TVs back in the day when displaying 4:3 content and that was a good thing. This would require a ton of screen time with modern OLEDs though.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Nintendo's attitude toward my top 3 nso app gripes

1. Release more games? Lol no
2. Turn off borders? Lol no
3. Organize and properly size our tiles? Lol no
On the first one at least, regarding N64, it actually takes a surprising amount of time to get games up to standards in the emulator, especially considering the online aspect, we've actually gotten some insight on that from when they working working with the throwback team. It's not plug n play